What did we learn from Ca Speedway??

Shawn M.

Shawn,

I learned a TON this weekend. I learned about tires and tire pressures more. I learned about FWD rain racing. I'd never driven this track, nor had I ever driven on a track in the rain. That said, I grew up in Chicago, and knew what hydroplaning was all about. I grew up dealing with black ice, oil mixed with water, standing water, hail, snow, etc. I guess that allowed me to drive faster than many when the infield flooded.

I learned that a FWD car CAN and WILL do a four wheel drift for multiple seconds at a time. I learned that sometimes it's not worth pushing when conditions are downright scary. I skipped the fourth session voluntarily. I just kept thinking, "tomorrow is another day...take your car home in one piece."

I had a set of street tires for the rain, and although they'd have probably been beneficial in the water-soaked infield, it would have been a disadvantage I still think on the damp oval.

I felt my car snap oversteer and do things I never thought it would do. I also learned how badly a wheel can actually bend.

Big props to Derrick Malcolm for loaning me a pair of wheel and tires to get me through Sunday!

Sorry bout your gearbox man!

I learned that one shouldn't go out on 14" wide v710's in a flooded infield, so I skipped session's 3 & 4 on Sat.

I also learned, I need more HP for TTB! And that i need the power steering to work all the time in the turn's!

I found this last weekends conditions to be most educational.

What did you learn this weekend?

We had REALLY nasty weather this past weekend at Thunder Hill, too. Cold accompanied by rain the first session Sunday, altho it managed to pretty much clear up by the end of the day.

I managed to leave the paddock with tires (enduro shaved) at the right pressure for the little drizzle we were having, but by the time we got through pre-grid and onto the track, the rain was coming down pretty good. I didn't have my gauge in the car and didn't want to just jump out and let out a random amount of air (although I sure thought about it), so the tires were a little over-inflated for a wet track. It was a real thrill for my little Civic to come out of Turn 8 with the steering wheel pointed up the hill toward T9, but the car doing a 4-wheel slide completely sideways toward the usual trackout point.

I guess if I can learn to do that in the dry I'll be able to go really fast !

Other than that, I sorta tip-toed around for a while looking for the wet line...

• National Staff
I found this last weekends conditions to be most educational.

What did you learn this weekend?

When the little voice in your head is telling you, "Maybe I should just go in.", listen to it. I did just that after I collected some points in the PT race, and left the racing in sleet and hale, attempting to brake while hydroplaning through 3 inch standing water puddles, and trying to see through fogged windows with no visibility because of the tire wash of the car in front of you to the other guys. I would have kicked my own butt if I had hurt the car in that race. Instead, the car was in good shape for the next day, and I had a great race, and a good day in TT.

Exactly what i did as well Greg. I truly don't know how some of those guys actually finished the race... For my first race, i wasn't about to hurt my car or self. Sunday worked out to be a great race, and start to a fun year!