Buying MX5 cup car w/ sequential, ST4?

Bryan Heitman

Can anyone tell me more about getting started with NASA racing w/ a ND miata MX5 cup car w/ sequential.

It looks like from reading the rules while you could add some ballast and get to ST5 the sequential is specifically disallowed from ST5. Does anyone run this car?

While I am sure the answers are in the rulebooks I am curious if someone has a cliff notes version on what you need to prep for NASA? Sticker requirements, do you need dyno on a homologated car? ( I assume yes )

• 2 weeks later...
  • National Staff
On 8/16/2022 at 8:33 AM, Bryan Heitman said:

Can anyone tell me more about getting started with NASA racing w/ a ND miata MX5 cup car w/ sequential.

It looks like from reading the rules while you could add some ballast and get to ST5 the sequential is specifically disallowed from ST5. Does anyone run this car?

While I am sure the answers are in the rulebooks I am curious if someone has a cliff notes version on what you need to prep for NASA? Sticker requirements, do you need dyno on a homologated car? ( I assume yes )

You are correct that sequentials are not permitted in ST5.  In regard to cliff notes, you are unlikely to get much of a response to a question where you answered it yourself--read the rules please.   People who don't read the rules often end up not following the rules.

• 1 month later...

I see MX5 global cup car is allowed in ST5 without sequential. Instead of bumping up to ST4 could NASA rules look at assessing a weight penalty to the sequential gearbox? It's currently a ~15:1 HP/Weight ratio, competing at ST4 level will be a uphill climb for that car.

• National Staff
12 hours ago, Bryan Heitman said:

I see MX5 global cup car is allowed in ST5 without sequential. Instead of bumping up to ST4 could NASA rules look at assessing a weight penalty to the sequential gearbox? It's currently a ~15:1 HP/Weight ratio, competing at ST4 level will be a uphill climb for that car.

The classing of the MX5 Global Cup Car into ST5 was based on the older versions of the car, prior to sequentials.  We have no plans to allow any sequentials in ST5 or ST6.

Greg, got it thanks. When the rules are reviewed in future could you look at possibly allowing the homologated BFG cup tire to get just a tad more straight-line speed out of the car (narrower)? The grip is about the same with the hoosier's allowed. Thank you sir.

• National Staff
3 hours ago, Bryan Heitman said:

Greg, got it thanks. When the rules are reviewed in future could you look at possibly allowing the homologated BFG cup tire to get just a tad more straight-line speed out of the car (narrower)? The grip is about the same with the hoosier's allowed. Thank you sir.

Hi Bryan,

We can take a look, but the issue is that we have no specific information regarding those tires (testing versus other tires), and as non-DOT tires, it is even easier for there to be changes made to those tires at any given time without public notification.  Non-DOT tires are generally not permitted in ST4/TT4 with the exception of the Thunder Roadster, which is much different than a production based factory built race car.

Bryan, I'm in a similar situation.  I have 2 of the MX-5 Cup cars with sequentials for me and my son to race.  Would love to see the rules change to put them in ST-5 with a weight penalty.  I would also like to be able to race it as homologated with the BF Goodrich tires.  We have done some club racing with against other ND-1 or Spec MX-5 cars (At Spring Mountain) and with a 125 pound penalty, we were very close.  They let us run with our BFs and the guys at the club were mostly running Hoosiers.  Hope to see NASA find a fair home for us.  We would even be interested in doing a race (we are in the Phoenix area) where we run as homologated and see how we fit in. Just DQ us in the name of testing.  

We love these cars and if we can't get NASA to do something, we are hoping we can get other guys at our private track (Apex Motor Club) to buy them and get a series going there.  

Edited by joejenie