Jgrahn

Rally WV?

Jgrahn

Website not available for Rally WV? Looking for info.

kthanksbye.

John K Shirley

kthanksbye.

Jason,

Meeting the WVDOT on Friday to finalize roads.

Should have something next week.

JKS

John K Shirley

Jason,

Mark Bowers and I had a very good meeting on Friday with WVDOT. There are number of small issues to be resolved but Mark and I both feel the event is approved for this year. Mark will be finalizing the route in the next couple of weeks. I will be working on the web page ASAP. More information will be available soon.

Thanks

JKS

BDacres

Any more news on the Rally WV front?

Am keeping my hopes up that it all comes togther.

Let us know something so I can finalize plans to return the Colt back to rallying.

Brent Dacres

77 Dodge Colt G2

Jgrahn

What is the gravel like up there? Thick and muddy? Loose? hard-pack? smooth? details, details!

GRMPer

Yea, I don't think the RE92As are going to cut it for that one

Andrew_Frick

But I thought the A was for Awesome.

GRMPer

Yep, but only awesome will only get you so far on gravel

wvonkessler
What is the gravel like up there? Thick and muddy? Loose? hard-pack? smooth? details, details!

Its all over the place. Here's Mark Bower's observations from his initial recce:

“Smooth Fast Flowing with sudden tricky corners, well graded.”

“Road is narrow, unpredictable surface: varying from rock to dirt to gravel with clay patches; Looks to be Very slick when wet in many places with STPR like dirt in some areas; approx 0.5 mi rough like the rough Fall 2005 RNY stage (but lacking the large holes). Very suitable; mildly rough and a bit narrower than average.”

“Very steep at both ends, 4 or 5 switchbacks some with downhill crests into switchbacks (likely double caution) with large gravel; being used as a logging road. Moderately rough in spots, not as bad as Magolloway at MFR or rough LSPR. Possibly very good; lot of large gravel and rough spots here and there.”

“Could make two stages: Stage one from 0.8mi at fork to Cabin at 5.5mi; Transit to cemetery about .5 mile past west intersection, Stage two approx 1mi to 5.7 mi on return side of loop.We have named this area the K-car cemetery……”.

“Very Possible; widely varied; goes from wide to narrow with varying degrees of rough or smooth.”

“1 to 1.5 lanes; smooth, good gravel; like Tulip 200 roads.”

Regards,

Wilson

Jgrahn

Would it be possible to get a photograph of the roads? :D:D:D:D Size of gravel, depth, yadda yadda?

Sounds generally smooth based on above desciptions. Rocks aren't too thick? probably going to get swept away pretty quickly?

Anders Green
Would it be possible to get a photograph of the roads?

Oh, heck, why not. Here's the first foot of the first stage:

gravel_3_pre.jpg

5280 feet times 60 stage miles of photos are on their way to your in-box...

Anders

Jgrahn

Are they all that resolution? I can deal with that.

That looks like a photo of Mars tho. How do you expect me to be so damn charismatic with you acting out like that Anders?

IHBObry
looks like a photo of Mars tho.

Too easy.

Mars---W Va. ???

No offense Mark. BTW Last 2 rallies have been Red Bull free.

Bernie

Anders Green
How do you expect me to be so damn charismatic with you acting out like that Anders?

HA! The secrets of the quantity and quality of your charisma go well beyond any actions I could take! *grin*

Anders

starion887

Hi everyone,

My apologies for not popping up here, but have been working 10-12 hours per day, 6 days per week for the last 5 weeks; man am I tired! And Bernie, I'm very happy to hear you have taken the Red Bull cure!

AS for event news, nothing new as of today. John is best to provide that information. Bug him; I am!

All the information presented below has to be classified as preliminary at this time.

AS for the Rally WV roads:

General driver's assessment: Well, I've been been on just about every rally road in the eastern and central US one time or another, and my feeling about these roads is that you may never see an event with such a variety of road widths and surface conditions. And this applies not just from stage to stage but within a stage. There are only a couple of stages that are consistent through the stage, and one schitzophrenic stage changes 'personality' multiple times. In my mind, this type of stage is the best challenge to a driver's abilities, as you need to be on your toes to adjust quite frequently. And, to some degree, I believe it will do a bit to equalize cars; there are sections where a well suspensioned, light 2WD car will outdo a turbo AWD car if well driven.

General road info:

Maintenance: There roads are county roads and thus see varying levels of maintenance.

Elevation: These roads take you through some large elvations changes (1000' or more), like STPR, or the CT roads on the north side of the lake. Many go up and over mountain ridges. Peak elevation is around 3600 feet AMSL.

Rocks: A few rocks are there, but are like STPR or CT shale rocks, not numerous large granite rocks like MFR.

Base: The base is shale, but not the 'greased-snot slick when wet' type of red iron shale that one sees at STPR. The base is most like that at Sunriser or Tulip rallies in OH, or the Chattahoochee rally, or parts of CT (without the clay).

Potholes: Some; varies with season, and we wil be in early summer so probably very few. Logging and coal truck use on some sections will cause ruts and this will vary from week to week so it hard to predict.

Clay: There are very few clay spots.

Gravel: Loose gravel is generally infrequent, but occurs in a few spots. Roughness: There are some rough spots, where the base has worn or washed down to the shale base, but not anywhere as rough as the 'rough' stage at RNY. They are more like the day 1 stages up north at MFR, where you go a bit smooth, then a bit rough, back and forth. A few of the rough spots do require you judge your speed and suspension reaction to avoid being thrown off-line. I would set my suspension medium high in ride heigth (but I tend to be conservative to avoid car damage; you could run at mid-ride heigth IMO.)

Radius of curves: Many road segments tend to be VERY twisty (tighter than many may have seen, and twistier than the twisty sections of STPR), with a few goofy off camber jumps that you have aproach with some caution. Lots of 2's and 3's if using the Jemba system.

Intersections: A very limited number.

Road width: Varies from 3 lanes to 1 lane. Can vary from 2 to 1 to 2 lanes within much less than a mile on some roads. There are some old sunken road sections (where you are running between 2 banks close on each side).

Crests: Plenty, but are after curves or straights so short that it would be a challenge to get the speed up to fly far. However, a few crests are very sharp over ridge tops or are off-camber, where you would not really want to jump them: I'll mke sure these are in the books!

Stage lengths: 4 to 11 miles, average of about 6 miles. The long stage might get broken into 2 stages.

Dust: Can be dusty when dry, and with the event scheduled for late June, this is a distinct possibility. With some roads deep in hollows, the dust may hang so be prepared for a 2 minute dust window for each car.

Average speeds: Will be very low, mostly like CT but probably slower.

Trees: Plenty!

Houses: A max of 8 on one stage, with 2-6 on a couple of stages, and none on 2 stages.

More specific info, listed approximately faster to slower:

2 stages are mostly 2-3 lanes wide, with a smooth packed surface with excellent shale/gravel base, that will tend to maintain grip even when wet. One has large elevations changes over a mountian ridge, while the other runs along a ridge for its length. The one over the ridge has an approximately 1/2 mile segment of pavement. The other has utlity poles in the edge of the road for a mile or so (like one stage on STPR).

1 stage reminds me of a farm road in the British Isles, with stone walls, rolling fields all around, well graveled, but only 1.5 lanes wide.

1 stage goes very steeply and with agonizing twists up and over a sharp ridge; has a few rough bumps over exposed rock; road varies from barely 2 lanes to mostly 1 lane wide.

1 stage has a more gradual climb on a mostly nice 2 lane road to a higher elevation over a high mountain top.

1 stage (may be broken into 2 stages) is a wide but twisty coal-hauling road for 4 miles, goes past the deep mine entrance (we are less than 20 miles from Tallmansville WV), then narrows and roughens, goes through a sunken section, narrows again, twists in and out of a forest for the last half of the stage, with the last mile being a smooth, well-graveled section for the last mile. This stage goes up and overe 5 small ridges in 11 miles!

We are looking at 1 primary service area, with one other early service area as a fuel-only stop. The rally competition will end about 25 miles from the HQ town (Elkins WV), with a free transit back to town.

Well, 2PM, time to head back out to the project!

Regards,

Mark B.

BDacres

Thanks Mark,

Sounds like it is coming together. I Will Be bugging John S. on more details. Also sounds like I need to be calling for more tires.

I hope that it all comes together soon. Only 2 and half months away. Getting down to crunch time. Am itching to run the Colt again. Rall-x's just aren't doing it for us Still working out the carb bugs though. Man I hate messing with them. Keep us posted.

Brent Dacres

77 Dodge Colt G2

mothra

Also, anxiously awaiting RallyWV. Work will be slowed down enough to take a few days off for the event. It will have to be....I can't see myself taking client calls on stage

don kennedy

Mark, just add stage numbers to your above detailed comments, and who needs Jemba Thanks. Looking forward to it.

This is going to be an interesting one to tow to from Reading/Philadelphia area. Mark, why can't you hold this in downtown Pittsburgh or something

starion887

Hi Matt, Don,

Looking for ward to having you both come, in any capacity. We certainly will need both workers and competitors. The area has lots of excellent camping if you are into that, so it can be a real treat of a trip out into the mountains.

Yes, Don the tow will be a thrill in itself. I have to travel US250 from the east, which I love to drive, but I would strongly recommend that you not tow on US250 from I-81. There are several strectches of hairpins over the 8 mountain ridges that you must cross on that route that have had no improvement since the 1920's exepct for pavement and a few guardrails! From Reading , I would come west to Harrisburg, down I-81 to Winchester, VA, west on US50 to Junction, WV, south on US 220 to Petersburg, WV, then west on SR55 and then US33 to Elkins. This keeps the number of mountain ridges down.

Well, let us keep working on it!

Regards,

Mark B.

BDacres

Hey Mark,

You can count on us to be there to compete. Only problem I can see is the lastness of getting stuff together and short notice for people to get ready/take off work.

Any ideas on entrance fees? We will be camping to save $'s. Also should be very comfortable at night around there.

Brent Dacres

starion887
Hey Mark,

You can count on us to be there to compete. Only problem I can see is the lastness of getting stuff together and short notice for people to get ready/take off work.

Any ideas on entrance fees? We will be camping to save $'s. Also should be very comfortable at night around there.

Brent Dacres

Yes, things are coming very late, and I share concerns on doing this well enough. AS for fees, I'll toss that one to John.

Regards,

Mark B.

John K Shirley

kthanksbye.

Guys,

Its sometimes a slow process but we made good headway today.

The web page will be update on Monday with the entry form and other information as it comes available. http://www.rallywestvirginia.net

John K. Shirley

Andrew_Frick

Woohoo looking forward to it.

ColinB

I will pray to the Gods of Rally that I am able to get off of work that week. Not looking good, but I won't miss this unless my job depends on it!

-C

don kennedy
I will pray to the Gods of Rally that I am able to get off of work that week. -C

Hopefully the schedule won't require you taking off the WHOLE week