Track Requirements

Ian

Hi, I’d like some information about the requirements a track must have before hosting a professional sports car racing series. Assuming there are different requirements for different classes, some of my questions are:

- Does the track have to be a specific length?

- Does it have to have a certain seating capacity?

- What amenities must the track have in order to host an official race?

- Must there be onsite accommodations for drivers? 

Sorry if these are simplistic questions; I’m a newbie. 

Edited by Ian

• National Staff

Hi Ian, 

I don't like to see forum topics go unaddressed, but all I can offer is speculation. I don't think length has anything to do with it because Lime Rock hosts professional racing series, and it's a really short track, with lap times under a minute for the types of cars they bring. 

Lime Rock does have nice hillsides for spectators to sit on and enough room for pro teams' rigs and the concessions and vendors that come along for events like that. Anecdotal evidence suggests that pro series either go to long-established tracks, and Lime Rock is certainly one of them, and newer, no-expense-spared tracks like COTA near large population centers. 

You'd likely never see a pro series at Buttonwillow, or Gingerman or Carolina Motosports Park, but you will see them at Laguna Seca, Sonoma, Road Atlanta, Road America, Sebring, Homestead, Daytona, COTA. It helps to be near large population centers to be able to attract spectators. Racers will go wherever you're holding a race. Spectators are a bit more selective. 

In terms of accommodations for the drivers, big-time teams bring them with them, with RVs and tractor trailers with places for drivers and crew to relax.