ST5 Strut Shaft Diameter Clarification

yuba

Hi, I was looking at a set of inverted Bilstein B6 for TT5.  I noticed that the shock body moves and the shock shaft with the piston is stationary and hidden inside of the shock body, it measures 14mm.  The exposed shock body is greater than 40mm (can't remember the size off the top of my head).

The rule listed in the 5 rulebook is:

Non-OEM shocks/struts with an external reservoir (or piggyback) OR with shaft diameter 40mm or greater shall be assessed a Modification Factor.

Before I spend a bunch of money and end up sad, does the rulebook use the actual shock shaft size (14mm) for inverted struts?

Thank you

bumpstop02.jpg

Edited by yuba

• National Staff

Your post: 

The exposed shock body is greater than 40mm

Does that refer to the yellow housing?

The rule:

7) Non-OEM shocks/struts with an external reservoir (or piggyback) OR with shaft diameter 40mm or greater shall be assessed a Modification Factor.

The way I read your post and look at the picture, the critical dimension is the outer diameter of the larger of the two internal shafts. If it is less than 40 mm, then no modification factor applies. 

On 3/1/2023 at 12:56 PM, Brett B. said:

Your post: 

The exposed shock body is greater than 40mm

Does that refer to the yellow housing?

The rule:

7) Non-OEM shocks/struts with an external reservoir (or piggyback) OR with shaft diameter 40mm or greater shall be assessed a Modification Factor.

The way I read your post and look at the picture, the critical dimension is the outer diameter of the larger of the two internal shafts. If it is less than 40 mm, then no modification factor applies. 

No, the shock is assembled as shown above - the left side bolts to the camber plate, the shock housing (large silver) inserts into the yellow housing, and the thin shock shaft goes through the bottom of the yellow housing and has a bolt.  The shock body travels up and down while the rod is stationary, unlike a traditional shock where the shaft bolts through the camber plate and moves through the body.

Anyhow, that is interesting, okay, thank you.

Edited by yuba

• National Staff

Oh, I see. This ST stuff makes my head hurt. I'll see if I can get you answer.

Edited by Brett B.
  • Like 1

• National Staff

If the shaft itself is 14mm, then it is not 40mm.   There are shocks where the shaft is 40+ mm, but they are getting more rare. 

• Like 2