IHBObry

Organizer Supplied Stagenotes 2

Anders Green
Any event that is sanctioned by NASA Rally Sport in the eastern US must in the future get written approval to use an alternative source for course notes! This will be posted by bulletin shortly.
Does the bulletin address making ones own pacenotes and their use by others?

Hey Bernie. My discussions with John would lead me to believe that the answer is "No. The competitors are free to do what they've always done." What he's talking about is the _organizer_ needing permission to supply non-Jemba before receiving a sanction.

Cheers,

Anders

John K Shirley
"I wouldn't sue, and I would accept the risk, but my estate or another competitor might not. And as I deal with liability everyday, yes I would specifically address this as a sanctioning body and organizer and any competitor selling their notes.

There are some (few though) people I wouldn't provide my pacenotes to for that very reason.

Knowing that you're going to copy your notes to provide for another team's use always equates to more work and detail than if you were just running on them yourself. More stage and road description info, more landmark references/distances to assist them if they become lost (we never become lost in our own notes, do we?), and not being able to reference a group of instructions as a 'familar' instruction that driver recognizes (bonehead junction, Camp Brule, 'sweeper curve', ...) to the point the extra inconvenience isn't worth what you are asking for your notes.

So what wording do you propose NASA state to protect competitors providing their pacenotes to others? I still don't understand how a sanctioning body can be considered responsible for competitor's notes and maybe hearing what you are asking for will enlighten me and help John and Wilson get it on paper.

Dave,

You guys can do all and anything you want on recced events. Organizers recieving a NASA Rally Sport East sanction its another matter.

On events with no Recce its still the old fashion way.

Organizer ssupplied notes only.

Any pace notes and our DQ.

JKS

IHBObry

So what wording do you propose NASA state to protect competitors providing their pacenotes to others? I still don't understand how a sanctioning body can be considered responsible for competitor's notes and maybe hearing what you are asking for will enlighten me and help John and Wilson get it on paper.

I don't wordsmith for a living but to my layman ear, the phrase "alternative sources" has enough handles on it for any able lawyer will get traction. I'm not even thinking about a judgement I'm thinking about the effort to deflect, defend and deny involvement by NASA and any organizer. It would be a full time job with no reward unto itself & still cost a bit of $$$. (I like long contracts that cover a lot.)

Thank you Anders and John.