WTF! 6 points for water injection!

RX-Heven

• National Staff

Shawn has it right. You have to really want it. Water injection (especially with turbo engines), can be good for a lot of horsepower. If you don't think so, then go ahead and turn off your system, re-tune and dyno, and see what the difference is. On my 2.4L turbo, it can be good for up to 40 hp with the right tune. In general one point is good for between 2-6 horsepower (usually closer to 3-4) depending on the modification and the vehicle. So, even if it was only good for 15-20 horsepower, it wouldn't be "absurd".

Water injection enables you to run more boost, that is where the most power comes from. Why not just run race gas instead so I can turn up the boost to a level that 91 octane alone could not support and not be dinged 6 points for it?

I'd understand if you penalised people who use racegas too.

• National Staff

It is very difficult to control what goes into a gas tank, so we allow for all commercially available automobile gas and race fuel. It's much easier to see a water injection unit attached to a motor. It's a compliance issue.

• 3 weeks later...
Water injection enables you to run more boost, that is where the most power comes from. Why not just run race gas instead so I can turn up the boost to a level that 91 octane alone could not support and not be dinged 6 points for it?

I'd understand if you penalised people who use racegas too.

Higher octane fuel will -not- deliver what a well tuned WI motor can add...apples and oranges.

You can add a few PSI with more octane, but at the addition of huge amounts of extra heat (12deg per PSI + turbo inefficiencies + IC inefficiencies at higher flow rates..etc) but WI is a kick in the pants, all things considered compared to more boost.