• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pederb

• ST#97

• King Matt

• Jeff F

This is an intereting philsophical question and one we have hashed out before when someone astutely pointed out that some members of the Bowtie Brigade were in fact Quebecois and some other fellows wanted to show up with a V8 Merkur. The Thunder from Down Under GTO also raises some questions as to "American-made" and this is something we need to clarify for 2007.

So, any "mushrooms and blotter tab" thoughts on whether we should switch this to "sold by a USDM manufacturer" or some such verbiage? This would let in Capris, Merkurs, and perhaps others that meet the technical requirements, but again I don't think we'd seen an arseload of them.

-JWL

Philosophically, I don't see a distinction between the German-designed and built, Mercury-badged early Capri and the Australian-designed and built, Pontiac-badged GTO (Monaro). I would have to say both or neither based on the definition of an "American" sedan. But wheelbase could still be a deal-breaker on the Capri.

The GM F-body situation is just a quirk created by GM happening to transfer production to a Canadian plant. DaimlerChrysler 300s, Magnums and 300s are built in Canada too. The Merkur seems like a stretch, as that is not a domestic nameplate.

With production as international as it is these days, it's tough to establish national origin without tracing the money back to its home turf.

Wheelbase of a 1974 Mercury Capri is 100.75". Is it a coupe or a sedan?

The introduction to our ruleset of states that "This class is designed to field a large high-profile group of American Musclecars...", and eligible vehicles are "All 1960 through present, American-made sedan vehicles..."

Ignoring the technicalities, I don't see where a '74 Capri or Merkur fits into the intent. While the F-bodies and GTO aren't "American-made", I would certainly consider them "American Musclecars"

Perhaps our rules should state that the vehicle had to be available with a V8 engine?

I have always been under the impression that American Iron is for Muscle Cars, and a 74 Capri would not fall under that category but an Australian made GTO with V8 would.

There's a lot of competing verbiage going on. Can anyone define "musclecar?" I won't even try, but I don't consider late-model Thunderchickens to be musclecars even thought they came with V-8s. I also don't consider the whale-bodied cop-car Caprices to be musclecars, but they are also domestic, V-8 powered, rear-wheel drive sedans. How about a 78 King Cobra? I think a V-8 Capri is as legit as any of those, and probably has a better road racing pedigree too. And since V-6s are legal in the class, why would V-8 power be a decisive criteria?

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of like the idea of an XR4ti at about 2200 lbs wet with 4 wheel independant suspension and 275/40's all around! Car would be insanely fast with hardly any power at all....

Might start cruising the local Autotrader where we can pick these things up for a grand or less!!!

Philosophically, I don't see a distinction between the German-designed and built, Mercury-badged early Capri ....

The Merkur seems like a stretch, as that is not a domestic nameplate.

The Merkur was a Mercury (domestic) nameplate.

I actually had thought about looking at Merkur to run as AI, but never researched the specifics.

Moreover, section 6.1 of your rules specifically mentions the Capri so that would seem rather unambiguous that the cars are allowed.

My guess is that the 'domestic' issue is going to be a problem as the fields get bigger and people look for a competitive edge. My $0.02 would be to follow the lead of other sanctioning bodies and just go ahead and make a list of the specific cars allowed. It could save a lot of headaches later. Canada, for example, builds the current Lincoln. Dodge builds the Charger in Ontario.

Merkur is specifically mentioned as a German manufacturer for GTS class. The German Capri isn't mentioned there either, but since it was designed and built by Ford of Germany, it should be legal for GTS - assuming it wasn't sold in the US only? The Capri specifically mentioned in the AI rules is the '79+ Fox body Mustang clone.

Edit: Word I got from GTS Coordinator is that German-built Capris are legal in GTS, though some early '70s cars were built in UK plants and therefore are not legal for GTS (?). Don't know if any of those cars were imported to the US.

mmmmkay....so where would one race, say, a '74 Capri in NASA?

you should start a SPEC Capri class

I would if there was any profit in it

So, is a Merkur XR4ti legal for both GTS and AI then? (Not a random question, I drive my XR with NASA MA)

That would be fun

Sure...a Pantera is also eligible (also sold through Lincoln-Mercury dealers, has a Ford 351, and is rear-wheel drive). That's closer to American Iron than a German made, German Branded, German Engined Merkur!

Have a nice day,

Sidney

So, is a Merkur XR4ti legal for both GTS and AI then? (Not a random question, I drive my XR with NASA MA)

NO it's still not legal for American Iron and never will be.

Sure...a Pantera is also eligible (also sold through Lincoln-Mercury dealers, has a Ford 351, and is rear-wheel drive). That's closer to American Iron than a German made, German Branded, German Engined Merkur!

Have a nice day,

Sidney

NOT for American Iron

Sure...a Pantera is also eligible (also sold through Lincoln-Mercury dealers, has a Ford 351, and is rear-wheel drive).
A Pantera is not front engined, nor is it a solid axle or "approved IRS"

NO it's still not legal for American Iron and never will be.

Woah, easy buddy, just asking. Must have struck a nerve!

I guess I need to start using the "smiley faces" after my smart a.. comments as I was trying to be funny with the Pantera remark!

Sidney

AI #64

1989 Pontiac Firebird (made in California, USA)

Sorry guys, but you have no idea how many emails and calls we are getting about this. Can I run a Vette in AI, can I run X? and on.