Capri legal for AI?

LMan

...we need to keep some semblance of ponycars and musclecars in AI or we stand to lose the identity we've worked hard to create...

I just don't understand how a farimont wagon is "the "identity" you really wanted to create.

2572611_5.jpg

2572611_17.jpg

Now don't get me wrong, I think the car's great. Dave did an excellent job with the car. Kudos to him for that. I even thought about building one too years ago, just couldn't get over the fugly. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pederb

• ST#97

• King Matt

• Jeff F

Now don't get me wrong, I think the car's great. Dave did an excellent job with the car. Kudos to him for that. I even thought about building one too years ago, just couldn't get over the fugly. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh come on!! That thing has barnyard Aero and Barnyard Looks! I love it!!! Get some carbon fiber body panels, LOTS of lexan, a built 13:1 LS1,2, 3, 6 or 7, 18" wheels and $2500 Stoptechs on that sucker and let's go racin'!!!

How about a chevy monza? Came from the factory with a small block. Extensive racing history in the 70's. In stock form does not meet minimum wheel base per AI rules. But modified to AI specs, it could be made to meet minimum wheelbase. Would this be a legal car? Or does the wheelbase rule apply to what rode off the assembly line......just curious.

John

How about a chevy monza?... But modified to AI specs, it could be made to meet minimum wheelbase. Would this be a legal car? Or does the wheelbase rule apply to what rode off the assembly line......just curious.

John, all the data I can find says the Monza had a 97" wheelbase from the factory, and per AI rule 6.1(a): "...all other AI vehicles shall remain within two and one-half (2.5) of the original factory configuration."

So, even with the additional 2 1/2 inches, they don't make the cut.

How about a chevy monza? Came from the factory with a small block. Extensive racing history in the 70's. In stock form does not meet minimum wheel base per AI rules. But modified to AI specs, it could be made to meet minimum wheelbase. Would this be a legal car? Or does the wheelbase rule apply to what rode off the assembly line......just curious.

John

That 97" wheelbase on the Monza sucks. Man that car is light.

I had a line on a cheap 76 Monza last summer and then found out the wheelbase was short.

Wow LS1, super T10 etc. etc.

John

That 97" wheelbase on the Monza sucks. Man that car is light.

I had a line on a cheap 76 Monza last summer and then found out the wheelbase was short.

Wow LS1, super T10 etc. etc.

How cool would that be !! ?

imsa-76-wt-MichaelKeyser-045-2.jpg

monzaimsa2.jpg

DekonMonza1.jpg

IMSAMonzafrontend.jpg

This Car would rock in AIX, I wish it was legal and I had alot of disposable income.

DekonMonza1.jpg

Hers one on ebay!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=023&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=360013752545&rd=1

That specific car was on racing Junk about a year ago for $15k I think....saw it racing at the Monterry historics this year and it was FAST!!!

Decon Monza! FTW...

I wonder if that Badarse CTS-V that was recently sold on Ebay will make it into AI? Was a bargain at $32,000 considering the Katech motor and all the suspension goodies.

That car was sooo close to being mine. I talked to the owner every day for 3 weeks over the Christmas holiday hoping to sell my stuff in order to buy his stuff. I'm still depressed I couldn't pull it off. So depressed I had to buy the 1:18 scale version of it to soothe my pain!

217772.jpg

217774.jpg

217775.jpg

217776.jpg

Dream, to daily driver, to desktop in 3.25 weeks.

Thanks for reminding me, Matt!

-=- Todd

PS- The eBay Katech car won't be coming to AI. It went to Canada due to the weak dollar.

PS-PS....LOVE the Monza...need to find a home for Capri's, Monza's and Monaros (GTO's).

Forget what I said about the bad-arse eBay CTS-V that was supposed to be mine. I talked to the owner again last nite. I guess the Canada deal fell thru and the Chicago boys from AMS/Crawford/Evo fame have bought the car. Sounds like we could see it in NASA track duty in the states after all. I'd be interested to hear if it goes AIX or TT. Any details please let me know where my car is going....

ctsvrace04_03.jpg

-=- T

PS- What was this thread about again?

I guess the Canada deal fell thru and the Chicago boys from AMS/Crawford/Evo fame have bought the car. Sounds like we could see it in NASA track duty in the states after all. I'd be interested to hear if it goes AIX or TT. Any details please let me know where my car is going....

Awesome! I can't wait to see it at the track and steal ideas from it.

• 3 weeks later...

Too bad I saw this thread soo late. The Capri was available with a V8, at least in another continent. Here is a link to the Perana V8 Capri with the good old SBF.

http://fordaustraliaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Capri was Euro Ford's copy of the popular pony car which is the Ford Mustang, and it was a decent copy and proved to be a big seller worldwide including the US and manufactured in both England and Germany.

Back in the 70s, it held it's own performance wise and was one of the faster cars on the road when all of the available "muscle" was choked by the smog and fuel economy requirements.

I have 3 of them, wouldn't mind taking a look at AI as a place to race one of them with a 4 banger or SBF.

BTW, I've also owned several XR4Tis and they are fairly heavy cars, probably closer to 2700lbs rather than the 2200lbs I saw someone quote earlier. I'll agree that the Capri could be raced at 2200lbs with SBF.

I used to own an entire front yard full of Capris -- much to the consternation of my next door neighbors -- and I have to ask. Do you own a 74? The 72-back cars were a tiny bit lighter as they didn't have all the bumper metal built into the frame.

But, even given the 20 odd pounds or so here and there, this thing had a real McPherson with the stabar as part of the LCA, the brakes sucked and would require massive mods for any class, the rack was a great pile, the LCA has built-in BJs, and in stock form (with a 2.0L) didn't handle that well. Along with my 240Z, the car most likely to leave the road backwards at speed. Other than light weight and a handsome body, I gave up (and moved to an even odder ride).

With a V-8 at 140 MPH, how would it handle the Capri Shimmy? (inside Capri joke).

Just buy a Pinto (really -- no joking) if you want this size.