944 spec in midwest, where to begin

jesh

I just picked up my 944 today. My plans are to get a competition license and build a spec car. Where do I begin? I know I have to go through HPDE, I've done a few, to get my license. But where to begin on the car? Can someone give me an idea and does anyone have any pics of both inside and out of their cars? I'm looking forward to being one of the first midwest 944 specs, unless somebody has beaten me to the punch. Which in that case I'm looking forward to joining the others.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Doc

• Tim Comeau

• 944-Spec#94

• jensen

http://944spec.com

This our main website for the class. There is a driver listing with pictures of all the cars in class. Also there are the rules, and some tech articles on building cars for the class. We even have a number of dyno charts from cars in the class.

When it comes to inside pics. Well most cars look similar.

1 or 2 racing seats with a full cage and everything stripped out. I have some interior shots of my car I will link to here.

Jesh,

Welcome to our class! Can you PM me with your particulars. What year car? what color? Name, email address. No spam.

Where did you hear about the class?

The closest 944 spec car to you being built right now is in Northern Ohio. Maybe you should contact them at Steinel's Autowerks in Twinsburg, Ohio. Let them know you're building one, too!

When the PCA Club Racing news article hits the stands in the near future, you'll have others to race with soon!

As Joe says, the website should answer most of your build/prep questions. If in doubt, just post a question to the forum. There's lots of helpful guys there.

Here are some pics of my cage that also show the interior.

Passenger's seat is optional.

Cage01.jpg

Cage05.jpg

Cage02.jpg

Cage04.jpg

Cage03.jpg

Note I have the same door bars on drive and passenger's side.

Cage06.jpg

sidenet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I just picked up my 944 today. My plans are to get a competition license and build a spec car. Where do I begin? I know I have to go through HPDE, I've done a few, to get my license. But where to begin on the car? Can someone give me an idea and does anyone have any pics of both inside and out of their cars? I'm looking forward to being one of the first midwest 944 specs, unless somebody has beaten me to the punch. Which in that case I'm looking forward to joining the others.

Hey!

I just finished the Driving Concepts school at the Blackhawk Farms with NASA, license is applied for and I'll be racing in 2 weeks at Putnam.

Do more HPDE. Once you feel ready to start driving side by side with other cars, at speed, take a cometition licensing school. In my opinion it is a must-do to get yourself comfortable with traffic and passing, and flagging, and rules, etc., etc. You don't want to go three wide into turn 1 for the first time in a real race.

The Driving Concepts school was awesome. Here's another good one for NASA.. http://www.midohio.com/school/courses/competition.asp (discount available for NASA members)

My dad was actually looking at a 944 Cup car as a potential 944-spec conversion or GTS class entry, or PT, JP, ITS, or whichever other classes are legal with that chassis

-Chris

• 5 weeks later...

I'm running my 924S with HPDE events this year, may do spec 944 next year if it develops. Are you going to MAM in 2 weekends ? - I'll be there.

Jesh, Sterling Doc, Chris's dad...........

Let's get you guys together and form an Illinois or Midwest 944 spec group! There's another 944 spec car being finished in northern Ohio.

Share the enthusiasm caused by the best 944 racing class in the country!

Ever since Jackie Corwin's article in Grassroots magazine and my article in PCA Club Racing News came out, this class is off the hook!

Emails, phone calls......even from guys in CANADA!

Wait a minute Canadians know how to drive???? (Just kidding!!) We're not 100% PC here but we do like to have fun. Welcome. Besides I'm just a dumb Dane anyway!!

Nevermind "Eric the Red", you new guys. As one of the most senior SoCal 944 spec guys, he's getting senile.........quicker, ......but senile.

I am currently running a 944 turbo in GTS 2 in the midwest. I have recently purchased a 1983 944 that I plan to prepare for 944spec/SP1. I will run the car in '07 in the midwest. I enjoy GTS, but in my opinion anytime there is a spec class with off-the-shelf/restricted rules, costs of preparation and maintainence are lower and the group will definitely have lot's of fun. Some people will question why I might park the 951 and run 944 spec, but in order to be competitive in its respective classes it does require expensive tires and more maintainence. And I love to build racecraft...

Glad to hear it.

More than a few times I have considered moving to 951 race car or even just DE car. Then I think of all the added expense and $$$ for competition and am VERY happy I have stayed with the NA in 944 spec.

Other cars maybe faster, but that does not make the racing anymore fun!

I am currently running a 944 turbo in GTS 2 in the midwest. I have recently purchased a 1983 944 that I plan to prepare for 944spec/SP1. I will run the car in '07 in the midwest. I enjoy GTS, but in my opinion anytime there is a spec class with off-the-shelf/restricted rules, costs of preparation and maintainence are lower and the group will definitely have lot's of fun. Some people will question why I might park the 951 and run 944 spec, but in order to be competitive in its respective classes it does require expensive tires and more maintainence. And I love to build racecraft...

Sounds like things may be coming together . Any of you guys going to MAM this coming weekend? - If not, there's still room - and if I recruit 3 of ytou guys to go, I race free :8): . (If we did get a group of 4 of us together, I split my savings with you guys - race for cheap!).

Ain't this forum cool?!

There's more than several 944 racers now in the Mid west Group now( it's really central US when you look at the map!).

Please get together as often as possible and spread the word about the best 944 racing class in the country.

Matt, where did you hear about the 944 spec class?

Let us know how we can help you out!

Tim I found out about the 944 spec class through you guys, on the 944 web sites,etc. Last year when I purchased my 951 I was running DE's in PCA and the attention through the club seems to be run F class or preparred E class. I followed suit and built a 951 F class, and then found NASA. I went to their Driving Concepts school and found that I enjoy their race program. I think their GTS class makes alot of sense, for different cars and clubs to join and race together. In the past I have raced true spec classes(motorcycles) and really enjoyed the competition and the atmosphere. I don't like to look back, but I would have built a 944spec and played around with the turbo...

I will be @ MAM this weekend, black #68 GTS2 951. see you there...

Linda and I will both be running our newly gutted 924S. We'll be staying at the track in a silver VW Eurovan. Looking forward to some track time

You can also run the 951 in 944 Super Cup this weekend at MAM. Currently available in the MidWest. There is another Super Cup registered, so that makes it a race. And we have quite a few Super Cup cars signed up for the National at MidOhio.

http://44cup.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=1439

Get your 5 races before the National and join us.

Edited by Guest

Sterling,

See if you can find a couple more 83-88 944's that are running at the event. They'll probably know even more 944 owners. You might want to mention the NASA 944 spec class in any local newsletters or websites. You'll find, like we have, that this single model, equal cars class really gets people hooked!

Your local class will grow quickly.....

Doc, Big troubles at my business...I will attempt to make it to the MAM event...doubtful and extremely disappointed!

Sorry you couldn't make it

Was a blast at MAM this weekend - saw two 968's - very nice ones at that, but no 924/944's except mine.

Car ran well, even in the heat, with both my wife and I driving it.

Thanks to Dave Royce, got my car weighed - 2578# with me in it - need to take out the A-C compressor and a few things to make weight for the cage.

Ran 1:53's on a stock suspension with Koni yellows. The best spec Miatas just snuck in below 1:50, so I was pretty happy. Lots of body roll, so I could really use the spec suspension

58611549-75aa-02000180-.jpg

58611398-88df-02000180-.jpg

Wow!

Nice Car, Nice wheels (love the white phonies), nice weight, and great times.

With a spec suspension the car will feel alot more solid. Even So I drove mine for a number of events stripped, but stock suspension. This was long before 944 spec came along, but I found just removing the weight made the car really fun to drive.

Well done, Sterling. Sounds like you're right in there with respect to weight and lap times.

Let's get some other 944's and 924S's for you to race with in the 944 spec class....

Well done, Sterling. Sounds like you're right in there with respect to weight and lap times.

Let's get some other 944's and 924S's for you to race with in the 944 spec class....

Thanks guys. It truly was a blast. If some others commit to this cass, I'll put a cage and a spec suspension in it over the winter.

Don't wait for them!!!!!

They're waiting for you!!!!!!

Someone has to be the first out on the dance floor......

MAKE IT HAPPEN. It happens the same way in every 944 spec group.

"If you build it, they will come."

Post on every local forum. Contact the local Porsche Club Regions, etc.

I promise you'll have more fun sooner.