944 spec in midwest, where to begin

jesh

if midwest can have events close to kansas i may join (sold my 944 cup car as moving from east coast to kansas city)...i still need to get my license but was well on my way

i will even have space for a truck/trailer and a prepped car (when before i had to maintain my car as street legal in order to get to/from the track)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Doc

• Tim Comeau

• 944-Spec#94

• jensen

Well from Kansas City you have 4 regions close to you.

The following tracks with in a 1/2 day tow

Mid America, Iowa - 165 miles, 2.5 hrs - Mid-West Region

Hastings, Nebraska - 300 miles, 5 hrs - Rocky Mountan Region

Hallet, Oklahoma, 310 miles, 5 hrs - Texas Region

The following are a full day's Tow

Putnam Park, Indiana - 450miles, 7 hrs - Mid-West/Ohio Crossover

Autobahn, Illinois, 475miles, 7.5 hrs - Mid-West/Ohio Crossover

Blackhawk Farms, Illinois - 500 miles, 8 hrs - Mid West

Brainerd, Minnesota, 560 miles, 9hrs - Mid West

Motorsport Ranch, Texas - 575 miles, 9 hrs - Texas

La Junta, Colorado - 600 miles, 9 hrs - Rocky Mountain

Road America, Wisconson - 600 miles, 10 hrs - Mid -West

Pueblo, Colorado, - 630 miles, 9.5 hrs - Rocky Mountain

Below are list of regions and track distances

Mid West Region

Mid America, Iowa - 165 miles, 2.5 hrs

Blackhawk Farms, Illinois - 500 miles, 8 hrs

Brainerd, Minnesota, 560 miles, 9hrs

Road America, Wisconson - 600 miles, 10 hrs

Ohio/Indiana Region

Putnam Park, Indiana - 450miles, 7 hrs

Autobahn, Illinois, 475miles, 7.5 hrs

Mid-ohio, Ohio, 715 miles, 11 hrs

Beaverun, Penslyvannia, 850 miles, 13.5 hrs

Rocky Mountan Region

Hastings, Nebraska - 300 miles, 5 hrs

La Junta, Colorado - 600 miles, 9 hrs

Pueblo, Colorado, - 630 miles, 9.5 hrs

Miller Motorsports Park, Utah - 1100 miles, 16 hrs

Texas Region

Hallet, Oklahoma, 310 miles, 5 hrs

Motorsport Ranch, Texas - 575 miles, 9 hrs

Texas World Speedway, Tx - 725 miles, 11 hrs

No Problem Raceway, Lousiana, 930 miles, 14 hrs

Uh..... ....well there you go.

Joe's also a travel agent in his spare time......

Jaje,

Can you

post your name and where you are?

Don't wait for them!!!!!

They're waiting for you!!!!!!

Someone has to be the first out on the dance floor......

MAKE IT HAPPEN. It happens the same way in every 944 spec group.

"If you build it, they will come."

Post on every local forum. Contact the local Porsche Club Regions, etc.

I promise you'll have more fun sooner.

True enough. The nice thing with NASA is that my wife who also runs the car could still run HPDE events the same day - so she is supportive as well. What does a cage and suspension run? I already have the Konis's, though they feel a bit soft - may have them rebuilt (to stock specs) while the suspension is out. I joined the PCA thisyear - I'll have to work on them some...

Suspension cost about 2k for everything.

However since you have Koni's already subtrack about 600 from that.

A cage will run 600 to 2k depending on if it is a bolt in or custom job. I perfer a custom cage since it has more space on the inside since the bars can be closer to the body.

The other thing is that you can get the suspension part by part.

You have the Koni's - Check

Then get springs - 250 to 400lbs front and 28 or 30 mm t-bars.

Cost

Paragon's ride height kit with camber plates & springs is about $400-$450 or so. T-bars are about $300 Add in $200 for all new delrin and polyurethane bushings and you are at about $900-950.

You can get sway bars later on.

Tim Is right in that build it and they will come.

Back when 944 spec started in Az in 2002 I had my car 95% built. So I finished things off and Had spec car #2. One of the orginators already had car so it was number 1. Then the other orginator had car #3 built. We did 2-3 races, some PCA autocrosses and that summer we had 10+ underconstruction and on the track by september and october.

Similar thing happend in So-Cal. Tim got his 924S drive it to Phoenix for an Az event in Feb had fun. Went back home and raced maybe 2 events alone then had a couple more cars in a month or tow. By the middle of summer he had 5-6 cars with more on the way.

PCA is a great place to drive and race the car as well. PCA DE's are hot beds for new racers and some of the smaller club races have DE time along with them.

Jaje,

Can you

post your name and where you are?

right now i'm still out in Northern VA (was in the 944 Cup series and about to start my rookie year after pit crewing for the Director)

I'll be relocating to Olathe, KS (Kansas City) in late July and will have $$, time (will be telecommuting), and room for a truck & trailer (and a 3 car garage )

my ideas are down to Honda Challenge (H4 or H5 - i've had 4 200k+ mile little Hondas that i beat on and would never die no matter how abusive i was) or another 944 (either PCA/POC or 944 Spec)

Well from Kansas City you have 4 regions close to you.

The following tracks with in a 1/2 day tow

Mid America, Iowa - 165 miles, 2.5 hrs - Mid-West Region

Hastings, Nebraska - 300 miles, 5 hrs - Rocky Mountan Region

Hallet, Oklahoma, 310 miles, 5 hrs - Texas Region

The following are a full day's Tow

Putnam Park, Indiana - 450miles, 7 hrs - Mid-West/Ohio Crossover

Autobahn, Illinois, 475miles, 7.5 hrs - Mid-West/Ohio Crossover

Blackhawk Farms, Illinois - 500 miles, 8 hrs - Mid West

Brainerd, Minnesota, 560 miles, 9hrs - Mid West

Motorsport Ranch, Texas - 575 miles, 9 hrs - Texas

La Junta, Colorado - 600 miles, 9 hrs - Rocky Mountain

Road America, Wisconson - 600 miles, 10 hrs - Mid -West

Pueblo, Colorado, - 630 miles, 9.5 hrs - Rocky Mountain

Below are list of regions and track distances

Mid West Region

Mid America, Iowa - 165 miles, 2.5 hrs

Blackhawk Farms, Illinois - 500 miles, 8 hrs

Brainerd, Minnesota, 560 miles, 9hrs

Road America, Wisconson - 600 miles, 10 hrs

Ohio/Indiana Region

Putnam Park, Indiana - 450miles, 7 hrs

Autobahn, Illinois, 475miles, 7.5 hrs

Mid-ohio, Ohio, 715 miles, 11 hrs

Beaverun, Penslyvannia, 850 miles, 13.5 hrs

Rocky Mountan Region

Hastings, Nebraska - 300 miles, 5 hrs

La Junta, Colorado - 600 miles, 9 hrs

Pueblo, Colorado, - 630 miles, 9.5 hrs

Miller Motorsports Park, Utah - 1100 miles, 16 hrs

Texas Region

Hallet, Oklahoma, 310 miles, 5 hrs

Motorsport Ranch, Texas - 575 miles, 9 hrs

Texas World Speedway, Tx - 725 miles, 11 hrs

No Problem Raceway, Lousiana, 930 miles, 14 hrs

wow...this is great...i just found out that Autobahn is 3 miles from where i grew up (manhattan, il)...and my parents still live there so free hotel!

OK I have talked two of my neigbors (and their wives ) Into lookin seriousl at spec 944 racing. One would be interested in a complete turn-key car, the other in a build-up. There's one spec 944 that was FS in AZ, any others out there?

OK I have talked two of my neigbors (and their wives ) Into lookin seriousl at spec 944 racing. One would be interested in a complete turn-key car, the other in a build-up. There's one spec 944 that was FS in AZ, any others out there?

Sterling,

Cruise the classifieds. I know of 3 cars for sale in Az. All race prepped and ready to race.

One of the cars in Phoenix has the engine apart, but lots of new parts. That's the one from Jason Boles at $8500.

There's a car for sale in Boulder , CO, now too, though I don't know it's full status. That's Ben Dewitt's car.

Eric's car in SoCal is solid.

As a big proponent of our 944 spec class, I'd love to see some of these cars that are sitting around be put back on the track and raced!

I offer "built to suit" race-ready 944 spec cars for right around $12,000.

So there's some options for you. You might be the kind of guy who doesn't mind doing his own work and finishing the sorting out process of a race car. If you are, you'll save some money up front and sink some time in later. 6 of one....

Either way, we'd all love to have you help start up a 944 spec group in your area of the country.

One of the cars in Phoenix has the engine apart, but lots of new parts. That's the one from Jason Boles at $8500.

There's a car for sale in Boulder , CO, now too, though I don't know it's full status. That's Ben Dewitt's car.

Eric's car in SoCal is solid.

As a big proponent of our 944 spec class, I'd love to see some of these cars that are sitting around be put back on the track and raced!

I offer "built to suit" race-ready 944 spec cars for right around $12,000.

So there's some options for you. You might be the kind of guy who doesn't mind doing his own work and finishing the sorting out process of a race car. If you are, you'll save some money up front and sink some time in later. 6 of one....

Either way, we'd all love to have you help start up a 944 spec group in your area of the country.

Thanks for all the support - I'll point those guys your way. I will actually be out in Colorado in less than a month. I could drag the trailer along and potentially bring a car back from there for one of my buddies. I'll be in Fort Collins and Estes Park. Anybody close to there?

• 1 year later...

I brought this post back from the dead for a one year later update and to see where some of you guys are now.

Known Midwest cars/drives:

Mine - #80 '88 944 VFC Engineering - racing this year - Sterling, IL

Ray Freundt: '88 944 being built by VFC now - Belvedire, IL

Jim Bryant '88 924 Woodbury MN

Chuck Porter '83 944 Minnetonka MN

Chris Dvorak 944 Plymouth MN

Dave Gailey 944 (currently I class) Minnetonka MN

Dave Engle 944 Wanamingo MN

Billy Newport 86 944 (Tim C. built/CRE car) Rochester MN

David Schumitsch 87 944 Merrill WI

Brent Meyer 83 944 St. Louis MO

Brian Remme 85 944 (just purchased) Hudson WI

Mark Repka '87 944 (I car being converted to SPEC)

Brent Knoll (building)

Rob Wisniewski (building my old '87 924S) - Minnesota

Max Currie, Early 944 (build nearing completion) - Minnesota

Zach Hillman -looking for a donor 944 - Chicago, IL

Angel Blasquez - looking for a donor 944 -Sterling IL.

Of these, Jim & I are racing, Mark & Billy have fully built cars, but need comp. lisences, and everyone else is in progress, as far as I know - let me know where you guys are at! I'd like to make some plans for upcoming comp schools for you guys once your ready. If we can get even 1/2 these cars at any given event next year we'll be rockin', getting TOYO bucks, DART Dollars, etc!

DSC01556.JPG-thumb_140_105.jpg

DSC01512.JPG-thumb_140_105.jpg

6 Spec car at PCA Road America DE this month!

DSC00887.JPG

I've been to a couple HPDE's (Iowa and Joliet, and will be at Road America) and plan on having the car ready by next year and getting my license early next year.

Sorry 'bout the picture size -I just wanted to convey the gravity of the event

I having some troube working with my new host site since Club Photo died.

Edited by Guest

I've been to a couple HPDE's (Iowa and Joliet, and will be at Road America) and plan on having the car ready by next year and getting my license early next year.

Sounds great. Why don't you pit with us at the VFC tent at RA - friendly people, free food, and help/tools if you need it. It's a huge black EZ-UP canopy with VFC logos on it. Or look for my car. I'll be there Friday afternoon.

Still in progress. Had the car out this past weekend at the Redline Time Attack here in St. Louis. It was my first time driving the car on the Spec RA1s. Had a blast!

Redline944.jpg

-bj

Still in progress. Had the car out this past weekend at the Redline Time Attack here in St. Louis. It was my first time driving the car on the Spec RA1s. Had a blast!

Redline944.jpg

-bj

Car looks great! How'd the time attack go?

Bring it out to one of the NASA events & HPDE it - you can get to know the car & the 944 local 944 gang .

Car looks great! How'd the time attack go?

Thanks. The car is still sitting on stock suspension, so there is lots of roll. I learned a lot about driving a momentum car this weekend. I manage to shave a staggering 5.5 seconds off my laptimes since the last time I had the car out. The time attack went well. I had the least horsepower out there, but I was putting down faster laptimes than some of the guys in modified Subaru's and Evo's. Because my car was gutted, I had to compete in the RWD, Modified Class. The good news was that only one other car was in that class. So I got my first podium finish.

Bring it out to one of the NASA events & HPDE it - you can get to know the car & the 944 local 944 gang .

Sounds like a great idea!

-bj

• 3 weeks later...

I was just at a PCA hpde yesterday at blackhawk and saw the #422 spec car from that picture. That thing is fast! This was my first experience with a 944 spec car and I was extremely impressed. He was flying past everyone on the track, he had several intermediate drivers in his group with much more powerful/advanced cars and he was lapping them all. GT2's, GT3's, Turbos, S's, basically everyone. Someone does need to tell him to put a decent muffler on though! You could hear the thing no matter where it was on the track.

The 121 from that pic was also there and represented well for the spec guys too.

I was just at a PCA hpde yesterday at blackhawk and saw the #422 spec car from that picture. That thing is fast! This was my first experience with a 944 spec car and I was extremely impressed. He was flying past everyone on the track, he had several intermediate drivers in his group with much more powerful/advanced cars and he was lapping them all. GT2's, GT3's, Turbos, S's, basically everyone. Someone does need to tell him to put a decent muffler on though! You could hear the thing no matter where it was on the track.

The 121 from that pic was also there and represented well for the spec guys too.

Who was driving the 422 & 121 cars? The cars are fun and easy to drive, but if their passing GT2's, it's driver, not car.

Who was driving the 422 & 121 cars? The cars are fun and easy to drive, but if their passing GT2's, it's driver, not car.

To be honest I didn't catch their names even though I talked to them for quite a while. The guys in that picture were the ones driving, and then there was another guy also rotating into the 121 as well. I think part of the advantage was that It rained all day and I can only imagine the confidence difference between them and the [probably] less experienced drivers in the 120k 911's who are real scared of going offtrack (which the 121 did at one point on turn 7)