Talk me into trying again? or go away!

cvedral

A mess huh? Well for one thing, any race class car thats running in HPDE 2 is either a fellow HPDE 2 level driver like yourself OR its an instructor. Why they are there doesnt concearn you. Your job is to go out there to gain experience and learn to drive, right?

Even if your fears were true and this was a racer who just completed his race, wouldnt you feel safer with an experienced racer on the track with you? id say that the racer is taking the bigger risk being on the track with the group 2 drivers more than the later.

I don't have a problem with it, nor did I say they were being unsafe. All I'm saying is the way HPDE is advertised is different from the way it's run, in my experience. Drivers in the same group should be roughly the same speed. My speed was approximately the same with the majority of other drivers. But these guy were blowing past like we were driving in completely opposite directions, and riding right on your rear bumper through the corners. This would turn a lot of people off, as the original poster had voiced his concerns. I'm staying on topic here.

• Members
I don't have a problem with it, nor did I say they were being unsafe. All I'm saying is the way HPDE is advertised is different from the way it's run, in my experience. Drivers in the same group should be roughly the same speed. My speed was approximately the same with the majority of other drivers. But these guy were blowing past like we were driving in completely opposite directions, and riding right on your rear bumper through the corners. This would turn a lot of people off, as the original poster had voiced his concerns. I'm staying on topic here.

Sounds like you do have a problem with it, unless you just like to complain alot without solutions? Just observing here.

It would be unrealistic to have cars/drivers all at the same speed. The lower HPDE groups have strict passing rules for that reason. Look, if it scares you too much to have a really fast car blow past you, then dont go. I dont see how its much different from being on the freeway. What you describe is what its like to be on a race track. Thats how it is. Dont worry about the guy behind you, worry about you.

I guess you cant please everyone. Your that one.

• Members

I was directed to this post because it has been claimed that I was driving "balls to the wall" in a lower HPDE session which I take to mean HPDE 1/2. I find this to be very inaccurate since I rarely drive in that group and if it does happen, it is to observe instructors and students. If I run in HPDE 4/TT then most of the cars are just as fast or faster than any HC car I drive, and if someone is running a bad line I will give feedback in the download as we are all encouraged to do. In my opinion, we have some of the best and most qualified drivers in our GP4/TT that run track events. Take a look at how many of our drivers run the Super Street Time Attack and nearly 1/2 the drivers are NASA people. Our HPDE program is the most advanced, has the most checks and balances, and contains a depth of incredibly talented instructors. There are occasions when people make mistakes, and things happen which shouldn't (like unauthorized racers in HPDE groups) but we deal with them promptly and work to solve the problem. I would never run in a HPDE group and disobey the passing rules. In fact, it is often that we spend time counseling drivers who cannot seem to obey the passing rules of the particular group so I am very sensitive to this issue. This is the first complaint I have heard of my driving at one of our events (which is rare these days) and I hope it a joke or some mean spirited attempt to ruffle some feathers. If you really had a problem with me and think I was out of line, please call me at 310-943-7793 and I will hear you out since I fully agree that nobody should be "racing" in HPDE.

I have been driving with NASA off and on for 2 years. I initally started with another club in a dodge viper and had a very frustrating beginning (too much car for an inexperienced driver ). I also have raced motocross for several years, but found driving a car very different. The folks at West Coast Viper had me join NASA, My learning curve went straight up from there . Ryan selected a HPDE group for me and an instructor. As a commercial pilot I travel the world and drive anything I can get my hands on. NASA has been one of the most organized, safety oriented groups I have EVER driven with. I can understand your wives concern, however the most dangerous part of your day was probably the commute to the track. Your previous motorcycle experience ( and success ) would indicate to me that you are able to recognize if you are "overdriving" your car ( in my opion the biggest reason anyone wrecks a car at an HPDE event ). Come back out, just have some fun, and concentrate on the basics. There can be a lot to digest the first time out. If you need any extra help/advice the NASA instructors are first rate

If you really had a problem with me and think I was out of line, please call me at 310-943-7793 and I will hear you out since I fully agree that nobody should be "racing" in HPDE.

Ryan, you won't get a call. It's just another troll....