CivicRydr

Video and review: HDPE @ Infineon/Sears Point 4.29.06

CivicRydr

p42900641op.jpg

It's hard to describe how much fun it was to drive on the track for the first time. It has made my triple digit highway sprints seem so dull. On top of the driving, what made the day so enjoyable was the over all smoothness of the operation and all the great people I met. I was not ever bored in between my sessions because there was always some badass cars to see and talk about, plus taking ride-alongs with the HDPE 4 guys. Taking rides with people who really know what they are doing showed me ways to drive the track that I wouldn't even imagine possible. Infineon was not an easy track to drive. You really have to concentrate on this track, or you'll screw up. Whenever I knew I did it right though, it gave me a very rewarding feeling. It was great fun.

I made this vid to remember how it all started:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6801879854717740584

BrianZ

I glad you had fun @ infineon.. Its such a rush to be able to push the limits of yourself and the car in a safe environment. I know after my first track day I was hooked..

SupraTuRD

Wow, what was going on with that guy in the red supra? Was it a caucasian guy driving it? If so, I might know who it was. The narrator was a bit harsh, but the driver didn't look like he knew what he was doing out there.

Do you have anymore footage of the supra? I'd like to make a clip of what not to do at a HPDE event. =)

Redstone

the red supra was driving in HPDE 2b. I was riding along with my dad who was out in his first ever track event. i was nice enough to trust him with my civic which he drove perfectly.

the supra was driving, hmm lets put this nice.. not as fast as some other cars! i think he had an instructer with him who was probably trying to show him the correct line. its better having him concentrate on the poper line instead of driving fast offline which could be dangerous. thats exactly what HPDE 1 & 2 is for.

at least he took it to the track instead of flying up and down the local roads!

CivicRydr

Bottom line, when you have a car going 20-30mph slower than other cars in the corners and the straights its both annoying and dangerous.

Many drivers I talked to had problems with getting around this guy on the straights and staying behind him in the turns. The worse part is that I talked to the driver, and he thought that he was going fast and pushing his car hard. He was also pissed off that someone past him in a no passing zone. In addition to the driving line, he should have been aware of his lack of speed and traffic behind him (which he was not).

Turd. I have tons of footage, but its all on miniDV and I'm too lazy to convert it. If you know that guy, tell him to go to performance driving school and learn how to make a fast car go fast (before he comes to another group track event). That would make his driving more enjoyable, and others will be more happy too.

Redstone

well i hope it was his very first track day because if he's been out before, he definetly needs to learn how to really "push it".

the problem with groupd 1 & 2 is the huge amount of cars on track and only a few passing zones. i think they even took exit of 11 and exit of 6 away from group 1 & 2 because of "problems with passing"

i was quite annoying following a few cars all the way from turn 1 to turn 7 doing 50mph.

anyone going to thunderhill may 27/28th? Redstone should have 3 or 4 cars out in hpde 2, 3 and 4 and maybe 1 in honda challenge h1

CivicRydr

I'll be there.

Question, what does it take to get from HDPE 2 to 3?

SupraTuRD
Bottom line, when you have a car going 20-30mph slower than other cars in the corners and the straights its both annoying and dangerous.

Many drivers I talked to had problems with getting around this guy on the straights and staying behind him in the turns. The worse part is that I talked to the driver, and he thought that he was going fast and pushing his car hard. He was also pissed off that someone past him in a no passing zone. In addition to the driving line, he should have been aware of his lack of speed and traffic behind him (which he was not).

Turd. I have tons of footage, but its all on miniDV and I'm too lazy to convert it. If you know that guy, tell him to go to performance driving school and learn how to make a fast car go fast (before he comes to another group track event). That would make his driving more enjoyable, and others will be more happy too.

Was the owner of the red supra a caucasian guy? How much footage do you have? If possible, I'd love to get those clips from ya.

A group of us (with supras) are planning to attend the 5/27-28 event at t-hill. This will be our first time running with nasa, but we've got some track time with other organizations, so hopefully we won't be holding up traffic like that guy in the video did.

Stop by the EZ-up with the three supras... 2 red, and one green. =)

Redstone

to move from HDPE 2 to 3 you need to get signed off by an instructor. You have to ask one of instructors to go out with you or watch you on track. If he/she believes you know the correct line, have good car control and are able to to navigate thru traffic without problems they will most likely move you up.

obeying the flags, and driving smart (looking ahead, antisipating other drivers moves) should also help getting moved up to group 3.

Sweet.. more supra's out there!!! Any of you guys gonna run in group 3?

if so, it should be fun to run with some big power cars.