Long Sleeved Shirts in HPDE??

KAA

Greetings all. I attended my first HPDE this past weekend at B.I.R. Having no experience with NASA and not knowing anyone who has, I scoured the NASA CCR 2006.4 Edition to make sure my car would pass tech and to make sure I had the proper safety equipment. During the morning driver's meeting we were told we needed long sleeved shirts and would not be allowed on the track without one. This came as a huge surprise to me as I had not read this requirement anywhere. I knew it was going to be hot and humid so I only brought a couple T-shirts along. After verifying the long sleeved shirt requirement and not being able to procure one at the track, I had to drive all the way into town to find one. This caused me to miss my first session which was very frustrating to say the least.

In paragraph 11.3 REQUIRED SAFETY EQUIPMENT - DRIVER (HPDE) of the CCR, it states:

"At least footwear, a T-shirt and long pants must be worn. Individual track requirements may be different."

I read the Supplemental Rules And Regulations for this event and the only reference to long sleeved shirts I could find was:

"9. All crew members on the track side of the pit wall are required wear closed shoes and sleeved shirts at all times (cotton is preferred)."

I've road raced at B.I.R. with another club and also drag raced there without having to wear a long sleeved shirt so it doesn't seem to be a track requirement. Can somebody point out where it's written that long sleeved shirts are required? I'd like to know how I missed this. And I wasn't the only one who did. Thanks.

We had the same question come up at Putnam with the MW & OH/IN region. They have always required it in both regions, but it isn't part of the CCR. It seems like a good idea so I'm not against it. However I think the regions either need to follow the CCR or get it changed. At the the LEAST - put a notice on the region website(s).

This is something that regions would do well to make clearer for the participants. I'm in AZ, and there'd probably be a rebellion (and expiring drivers) if some of the sorts of rules being discussed were enforced here. There did seem to be some confusion at the last event here, though, too, despite it being 105F ambient.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, maybe someone with the right connections could have a bunch of NASA-logoed long sleeved T shirts printed up, and offer them for sale at a reasonable price at track days, especially if this rule is going to be enforced at that particular venue.

I've seen short-sleeve NASA shirts for sale at SoCal events before, so this doesn't seem like it'd be any harder to do.

Dave

Just a thought, maybe someone with the right connections could have a bunch of NASA-logoed long sleeved T shirts printed up, and offer them for sale at a reasonable price at track days, especially if this rule is going to be enforced at that particular venue.

I've seen short-sleeve NASA shirts for sale at SoCal events before, so this doesn't seem like it'd be any harder to do.

Dave

In the Mid Atlantic region we have long sleeved shirts for sale at the events

Other clubs I have done PDE's with don't require long sleeves, but have a more intense car tech. NASA should sell long sleeve shirts if they keep the requirement. I had to wear a sweatshirt at BIR and almost expired on the fourth session of the day.

Seems a little silly since gloves and neck protection are not required. I'm buying a base model drivers suit just to add protection and be able to peel it off after I get out of the car.

Other clubs I have done PDE's with don't require long sleeves, but have a more intense car tech. NASA should sell long sleeve shirts if they keep the requirement. I had to wear a sweatshirt at BIR and almost expired on the fourth session of the day.

Seems a little silly since gloves and neck protection are not required. I'm buying a base model drivers suit just to add protection and be able to peel it off after I get out of the car.

Around here VIR requires long sleeve, Summit pt does not, watkins glen does not, its not a NASA thing but more of a track thing

• 2 months later...

Someone mentioned wearing fleece. Isn't fleece plastic? I thought there was a natural fabric stipulation. I presume that's so in the event of a fire your clothes wouldn't melt onto your body?

Rules are here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules.html

From the CCR:

HPDE:

11.3 Required Safety Equipment - Driver ...

All participants should utilize equipment that meets or exceeds these minimum requirements, while driving on track:

3. Non-synthetic fabric clothing (i.e. cotton). At least footwear, a T-shirt and long pants must be worn. Individual track requirements may be different. 4. No open toed shoes, shorts, or tank tops may be worn in the car while on track.

could be a regional thing. socal we need long sleeved.

My friends and I get on track w/ short sleeve shirts. Fontana, Willow....Of course we wore long sleeves, a sweat shirt, and a water resistant jacket this last time at Fontana!

• 2 weeks later...
Someone mentioned wearing fleece. Isn't fleece plastic? I thought there was a natural fabric stipulation. I presume that's so in the event of a fire your clothes wouldn't melt onto your body?

Cotton, wool, rayon or any natural fabric. Sythtic fabrics could potentailly melt on to the skin if cought in a fire.

Same for pants or slacks, natural fabrics are best.

Firesuits are not required for HPDEs. Some track junkies do were them for comfort, and have shorts on under the suit. Between sessions ppl take off the fire suite.

SOme guys have use good old jumpsuit coveralls too. Very comfortbale.

Long sleeve shirts are good idea in HPDE.

Even in 105F temps long sleeve is good. Sure it is tiny bit wamer, but it also keeps the sun off your arms. If you think you are "going expire" wearing long sleeves and long pants think about us racers in 2 or 3 layer nomex racing for 35 min in 100F+ temps. By the time you hit 2 laps you all wet in pool of you own sweat anyway, all contained in suit of course.

My advice, bring a long sleeve t-shirt and long pants to every event.

Great idea for when working on the car inbetween sessions.

Jeans, long sleeve shirt, and lots of water before / during the event (for yourself) and you'll be fine.

What about to drive in? not a good idea?

Seems fine to me. Allows shorts and short sleeve t-shirt underneath.

However when driving you will be WARMER than in regular plans and long sleeve.

When I did DE I often wore on old pair of tan khakis rather than jeans especially in warm events. They were looser and cooler than the thicker jeans. Also I wore white or gray long sleeve T since the lighter color is cooler in the Az hot sun.

BTW.... Even now I tend to leave my race suit on from the waist down as it is just pain taking on and off every 20 minutes especially since I wear it when instructing. I do miss being able to hop into a car being ready to go in 30 seconds.

Now it have the top of my suit, radio gear, balaclava, Hans, Helmet, Gloves, 6 pt harness, and window net. It literally takes me 5 min to suited up and ready to go and that is even leaving the suit on from the waist down. Still I feel 100x safer with all that crap.

Edited by Guest

Ill prob go pick up one of these suits before the event. Heat is of course bad, but I was born and raised here in florida and never even run my A/C in the cars that have it, haha. I should be ok with it on for 25 minutes at a time. Ill just wear thin shorts underneath and a cotton t-shirt.

Would it be a good idea to pick up something like this for now, instead of buying a full blown race suit? BTW, Im only HPDE-1 right now.

Dickies Coveralls-only ones I found 100% cotton. The rest were 65% polyester.

Yup that is what some guys drive in. Where thin shorts and tee shirt underneath so you can take the coveralls off between runs.

Bring extra tee shirts to change as well.