National Question- How many non-Mustangs?

tacovini

I'm just curious as we all enter our 2004 Racing seasons...

By percentage, How many non-Mustangs do we expect to see running in each region???

We all know that historically AI/X has been primarily Mustangs. There are many reasons, including the fact the the founding fathers of the series drove...uh...Mustangs!

I believe that the next chapter in AI/X growth will be when there is an equal # of "other" American model cars competing. This year, there seems to be a lot more national press about "other" cars arriving in addition to the Camaros, such as the T-Bird and the GTO. (Which I believe is good for our marketability.) Soooo. How 'bout it???

I believe Texas will have 20% non-Mustangs, and those will be solely Camaros.

-=- Todd

Personally I think the camaro is a superior car out of the box. Not only does it handle better than a comparable mustang, but with just a few simple bolt ons it can make great power. And if you want a lot of power that can be had as well. Probably for less, and more reliably than a ford. The fact that it is not a very popular car has resulted in very little aftermarket support and nearly zero development in the chassis for road racing. I think its too bad as the car has lots of advantages. Especially the latest versions. Now that GM decided to kill this car it is almost pointless to build one from scratch unless you are willing to pay for develpoment or do it yourself. Don't plan on selling as many parts as you would for a mustang. I don't think the market is there for well done parts as it is for the mustang. On the other hand, I think the only reason the mustang can be fast is because of the huge aftermarket support resulting from the popularity of the car. There are some great parts out there to convert the mustang from a pig to a pretty damn fast car. If it was not for that the car should still be called a fairmont. As discouraging as I may sound I woud really like to see some more variety in AI.

Gen 4 2 cars

Gen 1 1 car

Gen 2 1 car

GTO 04 1 car

Impala 1 car

These are cars that I know about and hopefully there will be few that I don't know about for 04

What region will the first one with CTS-V in AI/AIX?

The GTO is allowed and so will the CTS/V hopefully. The whole IRS rule so nobody will install a Vette IRS in a Camaro or similar. This will based on a car by car basis READ THE RULES!!!!!!

I read 'em.

a) All 1960 through present, American-made vehicles certified by the United States Department of Transportation for street use at their date of manufacture.

b) 100-inch wheel base minimum.

c) Front engine.

d) Rear wheel drive

e) Solid rear axle - except:

Next thing you know, the Camaros and Mustangs that started this series, as well as the model for this series, Trans Am, will be uncompetitive. Well maybe not Mustangs - they can go IRS. Another exception.

Brad,

So far has nobody been succesful in AI/AIX with IRS. Everybody that tried here on West Coast gave up and went with a solid axle, so for now I don't see a problem. If will IRS become too succesful in the future then we have to adjust the rules to plan out the field. AI/AIX is not an Mustang, Camaro class like CMC so we welcome any car that fit the rules.

There is a guy in Washington (Wayne Due) who makes a really bitchen IRS set-up for first gen Camaros, Firebirds and, I suppose, Novas. It is a C-3 Vette transplant. Just imagine how often you could break that thing...

Is the Caddy legal?

Based on the article I read recently, the new CTS-V won't be legal in AI, or AIX. The firewall has been/or will be moved back 6-8" for better weight distribution.

If the CTS-V is allowed in AI/X, JWL is gonna get one hell of an email from Monroe.

A CTS may be legal, but the CTS-V would not. I think that's the point Adam is making. Monroe's Camarostang is just as mass produced as the CTS-V.

This is similar to the current SR that John Young drives. It is not legal for AIX rules, but the street version SR would be.

• Members

That is the key, "street legal" as the rules state "...for street use at their date of manufacture". I dont know what the CTS-V is but if the factory made it and it is street legal it would be allowed. If not, then it is just another fancy race car that the "factory" (read race shop at the factory) made.

Let me qualify my earlier statement - the car being built for the WC series would not be legal for AI/X under the current rules. According to the article I read, the firewall was set back several inches from it's stock ( factory ) location. That is a no-no. And that car is hardly a "street car".

However, if a competitor took a factory CTS-V, and decided to run AI/AIX, my assumption, depending on the mods, is that it would be legal. The powers-that-be at NASA would probably still have to examine the car to approve or deny it in competition, but I'd expect that car to be legal, but not the WC car.

I'll be in AI West with my 4th gen non-IRS Camaro. To win the series for 04.

And can I tell you how freakin' tired I am of this argument? Brad, why are you arguing against more GM's in the series? We've had the 99-03 Cobra IRS exemption (with a clause to allow updated Fox bodies to IRS), why not have the 04 GTO IRS exemption? And yet, more and more Fox bodies with live rear axles show up. I don't understand your logic.

The series needs to grow.

Christine

Nah, I'm not arguing against GM's - heck, I'd love to do a CTS-V.

I guess I'm against the 'exceptions' - what's good for car X should be good for car Z.

Either allow IRS, or don't.

Bsim, the rule should more correctly state that two seat sports cars are not allowed, but other American performance cars may be let in after some consideration. Corvettes and Vipers have their own race class, and now they even have a NASA class if they so choose.