4cyl in AI?

mcmmotorsports

Well, It was supposed to a piggyback processor with a Map sensor to replace the Vam meter, but after extensive efforts to adjust the fuel and timing tables, the voltage range is just not enough, it can't compensate enough to keep the fuel curve correct, so now I am back to the LA3 factory ECU with 35# injectors, which is also not enough, (maybe at your weight it would be ok) so I am on the hunt for a standalone of some sort.

I really want to ditch the Vam meter, it is like restrictor plate racing, that thing only flows 360 cfm, and is wide open at 3000 rpm, so no more fuel calculations after that.

It's a good thing that I started with a junkyard bottom end, the fuel mapping,... or lack of, has been hard on the engine, I figure once I get the whole package sorted out, (powertrain and suspension) it will be time to pull the engine, but I planned it that way knowing the potential tuning problems.

So what are you using???? anything cool?

Haltech E11v2 with an EDIS 4 crank triggered ignition.

What kind of horsepower are you trying to make? I ran a number of scenarios with different weights for the car, I'd be surprised if you can't meet the power and torque to weight requirements with a chipped or Tweeced (sp?) EEC IV, a ported head and a turbo upgrade. What weight are you designing for?

I didn't think an NA 4-cylinder was cost effective or met my design criteria for a road racing motor. Its significantly more expensive to make less horsepower and torque than a near stock junkyard turbo motor. While the circle track guys are spinning the Ford SOHC 2.3 at or above 9,000 rpm, they still are making only about 200 hp without going to very expensive upgrades. If your interested in going that direction, talk to the guys over at 4m.net. There is always the Esslinger midget motor, but its aluminum block is not legal for AI.

I could do a EECIV based system, but I would rather go with a standalone system, as for the weight/power level I dont know the final weight yet, for AI I should only need 280 HP, but if my car is not competitive enough for AI I will go SCCA or TCRA, where the HP is unlimited, and I also considered a NA setup. but you really need high dollar componets, I used to build them (mini stocks) a long time ago.

Have you run/tuned the Haltech yet, what do you think of it so far?

We haven't started it up yet. Looking to complete some touch-up painting, do some minor plumbing, and then tune it on the dyno. We're looking to do that by mid-september.

Weighed the car, 2200 lbs. Probably be around 2300 when we are finished.]

Bob

We haven't started it up yet. Looking to complete some touch-up painting, do some minor plumbing, and then tune it on the dyno. We're looking to do that by mid-september.

Weighed the car, 2200 lbs. Probably be around 2300 when we are finished.]

Bob

Damn... I wonder if my buddy's turbo Quad4 would fit in a 'bird

Is that John Griggs' old car? that was his license plate, and it's about the same color, but I thought his was an 84 without the flush headlights. .

Instead of a Quad 4, do the Ecotec. GM has a manual that illustrates how to build the motor up in stages all the way to 1000 hp. You can download the manual from the web. At 1000 hp, I bet it wouldn't last a lap!

Damn! Just looked up when we started building this car. Two years ago in September we picked up the roller. Talk about "mission creep" this has been one long ride. The only things left from what we purchased are: floorpan, firewall, roof, frame, brake calipers and rear axle. And to think that all I started out to do was put in a proper roll cage!

A GM in a Ford, that would not be my 1st choice, go with a Duratec.

I thought I took a long time, but you just made me feel better, I started my project in September of last year, from a complete car.

But I suspect your car is prepped to a much higher level than mine, this thing is really just a street car, even passed a emissions test.