Typical 944 spec engine rebuild cost?

C.Plavan

From a good reputable shop about $4500 not including R&R. Depending on the issues with the motor your looking at $1k-2k in parts, machine work and then about 40 hours of labor.

Big variables.

Different shops and garages.

Do you want a "plug and play" with everything?

Some people sell just the block, crank, rods, pistons rebuilt for a couple thousand. Then you bolt your head, etc, on.

I'd say between 2 and 5 thousand, depending, for a completely fresh engine.

What do you mean by a complete rebuilt? New pistons ($1000+), new crank ($3500+), and new oil pump ($500+) will keep most people from a "complete" rebuild. Most of the time, its unnecessary unless you have lots of spare $. You need to specify what you want to have replaced (I would replace rings, bearings, gaskets, and rebuild the head with new seals).

Well,

How does $700 sound? I have rebuilt 3 spec motors. Cost was $700 to 2k. That was for basic teardown and rebuild at home.

The $2k one included a new set of lifters and a stock clutch package.

That along was 1000. Also added in at the time was a fresh set of stock motor mounts.

Now personally this Is what I do on a rebuilt.

Take the block and put in new main and rod bearings. Rings? Well I only did rings on one of those motors. The bores wear very well and even with 100K+ street miles you can have a solid block and bores.

Head work is like $200 since you can't do much. Basicly it is a simple clean, true the deck and cleaning up the valves. Nothing special.

End result was 134 rwhp. I have been very happy with that.

My last rebuild I also did rings, but still very much the same work. I have no hp numbers on that since it is a backup motor.

So while you CAN spend $4500 on a motor, you can do a back yard refresh for under a 1000 and be competitive as well. The entire intent of the class is keep things including motors cheap and allow a level playing field.

We really do NOT want folks thinking they NEED multi thousand dollar motor built by xxxx shop just to complete. Nope we want folks to able to run and win with junkyard or at home rebuilds too keep the costs in check.

End result was 1

While Joe is correct as I did my motor for about $1200 in parts it is still labor intensive. Also his Dad (great guy is a MB mechanic) so he had that in his back pocket at the time. If it wasn't for my friend I would not have been able to do it myself either. It's not rocket science but you do need to spend a ton of TIME cleaning and preping. I doubt $200 is enough for head work on a 100k mile plus head. I just had mine done for warping and it cost $480. That was taking valves, springs, guides, seats out and trueing the head back up and replacing the originals back in. Lifters are $50 a pop x 8. OEM rings are almost $200. So if you reuse some parts and are frugal you could do it for less but usually while you're in there you may as well replace the working bits that wear. If you start to do reliability stuff like baffles, cross drill crank, replace water pump, it adds up. I'm hoping to be able to buy a spare motor soon and redo it for use as a spare as Joe did because it's a good idea as you can swap motors in a weekend easy enough. So if you have the time, tools and space you can do it inexpensively. If you have to pay a guy then at $50/hr your at $2k. And thats if you can find a guy that cheap. Most Porsche shops are closer to $100 and some are over that. But then again you get what you pay for!!! And remember it's racing so warrantees are out the door!

I really enjoyed doing the motor myself but it did take 2 months in between work and family but it's run great except for one driver induced problem. (Keep you eye on the guages!!)