Helmet question

wxy

I have a Bell Snell95 helmet but the plastic visor part has fallen off. Can I use it this way for NASA HPDE events? I know it's NHRA ok.

Thanks

The vison is not integral to protection of your head, so you are ok with that helmet for HPDE.

You should have some sort of eye protection, however.

• Members

wxy

You should replace the visor. For HPDE you'll be running with the windows open, and there is a lot more dirt and crap flying around than you would think, especially if someone directly in front of you puts a wheel off the track. It'd suck to get something in your eye just as you apex a corner right? Motorcycle shops carry all sorts of replacement visors and parts.

wxy

You should replace the visor. For HPDE you'll be running with the windows open, and there is a lot more dirt and crap flying around than you would think, especially if someone directly in front of you puts a wheel off the track. It'd suck to get something in your eye just as you apex a corner right? Motorcycle shops carry all sorts of replacement visors and parts.

I just purchased an Open Face SA2000 helmet. I wanted open face so I could communicate w/ an instructor or rider better. Should I look into gettting some googles as well?

--chad

I just purchased an Open Face SA2000 helmet. I wanted open face so I could communicate w/ an instructor or rider better. Should I look into gettting some googles as well?

For communication purposes, working with instructors that have two way communication devices, such as the chatterbox, is the way to go. You can hear the instructor, they don't have to yell at you more than usual, and quality of instruction is much better. As a student, I have contemplated getting this just to receive instruction. I think that people that are serious about instructing should consider this a must.

With respect to an open helmet, mine is full face but has no visor, and I have never found anything hitting me through the open windows. I do wear sunglasses below the helmet. That said, I know a Honda Challenge guy that has been hit with debris, so it can happen.

Jason

Wearing an open face or closed face helmet is a personal choice. There are advantages and disadvantages to any kind of helmet.

What matters here is that drivers who you run an OPEN COCKPIT car, whether at HPDE or in a race group, are required to have a full face helmet with eye protection, which means a functioning visor. When driving a tin-top car this is not a requirement; either an open face helmet or a closed face helmet without a visor will do.

What you might know or not know, most drivers of closed cockpit cars who wear closed face helmets drive with an open visor. In case of an accident, the visor is designed to drop down, triggered by the deceleration, faster than anyone would be able to do it by himself. In such case eye protection is paramount, not before. Debris, insects, entering through the side windows? Pleeeaaase . . .

• Members

I wasn't refering to large debris (like a pebble, piece of rubber...) hitting you. I was refering to small particles (dust etc) that can temporarily impair your vision, or at least distract you. Yes, I've seen plenty of people driving with open visors etc, but it really isn't a good idea. If nothing else, check out the Nasa CCR section 11.3.5 where it states that eye protection is required for all participants.

I purchased a closed face Bell M3 just prior to a running at WSIR last year and spun on the inside of 5 and through up more dirt and gravel than I though possible. Took several times vacuuming it out before it was gone.

I was thankful for the full-face helmet, in that I could keep my eyes open during the spin, other wise I am sure I would have been there longer cleaning out my eyes and creating even more of a hazard to the others on the track. As it was, I was able to get right back on and not cause a yellow, just a debris flag.

If you don’t have a full face helmet, get goggles!

Just this last Monday at Thunderhill I had a 90mph off track excursion at the exit of turn 1 . I had lots of mud, dirt and grass get into my full face helmet. I'd recommend running your visor up one click from being closed if possible. That should keep most debris out and still allow good ventilation .

-Patrick D.

Agreed. That's how I usually run my helmet and it works fine. Given the nature of most of my off's, nearly all of them involve some agricultural work and I have made the mistake of not having the visor down before. Wow, does that suck.

-JWL

P.S. Completely off topic, but that is truly a bitchin' Volvo.