Beaverun May 10,11

Trigun7469

so who is going? anybody camping? see you there I will be driving a Black 1990 Honda civic Si,(suspension is fixed and I am ready to go)

Camping in western PA in early May, not a chance! I stay at the Conoley Inn 724-843-9300. $54 including tax if you tell them that you are racing at the track. That's where I stay when racing at Beaverun. I was just at Beaverun for a lapping day. The track is better than last year, faster and great grip. They've added more curbing.

I'll be there, getting my competition license. I'll be running my blue, silver and primered 2001 Mustang GT.

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn, right off the turnpike. Anyone know if Beaverun has an "official" watering hole yet?

Well, any feedback from the event. I had a blast. I was driving the red viper in HPDE 1. It was my second ever track event, and my very first solo drive. I need tires bad, but still had a lot of fun. Kudos to the driver of the pre-AI mustang in my class, and the green sentra in HPDE 2.

a couple of very good drivers.

hi i also had a blast and I was in the black civic Si, even though I didn't do much passing it was a lot of fun and atleast this time I got to finish more then 2 sessions and mule you probably saw me when I spun right in front of you, my tire pressure was really low in the rears, and heads up play i could see you in the corner of my eye

That was you huh. This was me For a while I didn't think I was going to get it whoad-up in time. Good thing it was wet or I would have been traveling at 115 instead of 85. That was a first for me. I actually came closer to hitting the silver Acura in a different session. I had a couple of I'll have new tires and hopefully springs for the next event.

Well, any feedback from the event. I had a blast. I was driving the red viper in HPDE 1. It was my second ever track event, and my very first solo drive. I need tires bad, but still had a lot of fun. Kudos to the driver of the pre-AI mustang in my class, and the green sentra in HPDE 2.

a couple of very good drivers.

I liked the way the Viper completely filled my rear view mirror

-YS

Yellow streak, yellow streak? Hmmmm. What were you driving? The only yellow car I can remember was a dune-buggy-looking thing. Was that you?

Yellow streak, yellow streak? Hmmmm. What were you driving? The only yellow car I can remember was a dune-buggy-looking thing. Was that you?

I was driving the blown yellow S2000.

-YS

Oh yeah! That is a sweet car. Blown? As in supercharger? I used to have a black 2001, but traded it for the viper. I still have a lot of friends driving the S. I was there with an S owner. In the final session HPDE 1 and 2 ran together. He staged behind me, caught me and passed me. Goes to show the importance of the driver skill means a lot. He even commented how sweet your car looked. If that thing is blown and you get some seat time it will be one sweet track car. I have race tires and Eibach springs on the way as I type this. The springs will lower the car 1" for better handling. I can't let my buddy beat me in his S .

Oh yeah! That is a sweet car. Blown? As in supercharger? I used to have a black 2001, but traded it for the viper. I still have a lot of friends driving the S. I was there with an S owner. In the final session HPDE 1 and 2 ran together. He staged behind me, caught me and passed me. Goes to show the importance of the driver skill means a lot. He even commented how sweet your car looked. If that thing is blown and you get some seat time it will be one sweet track car. I have race tires and Eibach springs on the way as I type this. The springs will lower the car 1" for better handling. I can't let my buddy beat me in his S .

Yup. I am running a Comptech SC overdriven to 7.2 PSI. I also swapped out the rearend for a Kaaz LSD with 4.44 gears. The big limiting factor right now is me. With only 3 track events under my belt, I am still a little wet behind the ears.

-YS

No doubt about it the best mod is the driver himself. My buddy's S is basically stock, Mugen exhaust. He's been doing this for a couple years now, and even though I have him by almost 200hp and 400ft/lbs I couldn't keep up. The only car I've seen that makes you a better driver is the Z06. Traction control, sticky tires stock, ABS, anybody can drive those fast. A good driver can make those things scream! My car is a 1993, no ABS, not even a drivers side airbag !

I plan to run at Beaverun again this year, maybe I'll see you there.

No doubt about it the best mod is the driver himself. My buddy's S is basically stock, Mugen exhaust. He's been doing this for a couple years now, and even though I have him by almost 200hp and 400ft/lbs I couldn't keep up. The only car I've seen that makes you a better driver is the Z06. Traction control, sticky tires stock, ABS, anybody can drive those fast. A good driver can make those things scream! My car is a 1993, no ABS, not even a drivers side airbag !

I plan to run at Beaverun again this year, maybe I'll see you there.

I am running Summit in June and July - may be back up to BeaveRun again - have to check the schedule. I just ordered my new front brakes and I am putting ducting one. My rotors were blue after one session at BeaveRun.

I don't run ABS or airbags. With the harnesses, airbags are just dead weight anyway.

-YS

• 2 weeks later...

Nice video, thanks for sharing. Very nice car by the way. Those were some big Hoosiers! Looked like you had some exhaust work done. The car sounded great. I timed you a couple of laps at 1:05. You could have run with the AI cars easy. Sooner or later I'll learn to drive my viper like that.

Thanks! I'm assuming that was you in the Viper - nice ride you have there too

Hoosiers were 315 rears - unfortunately I was down to cords after Saturday and had to sit Sunday out. I guess I got full value out of them.

Yep that was my viper (Ole Red). I'm still learning to drive. That was my second track event. I plan on going back this fall, but with a better set up. Next week I am having Eibach springs installed, BFG Comp TA tires(one step below Hoosiers but still streetable), and a track alignment(1.9- in front, 1.4- in rear). Hopefully that will allow me to use second to exit corners rather than third. The best unofficial(friend standing on the bank with a stop watch) time I ran was 1:14. My car is a 1993 and so were the tires Man those tires were slippery. I'll "debut" the new set up at Gingerman in July. Maybe I'll see ya there.

blue rotors...not supposed to use the brakes so much...try lifting a little earlier before corners....your car will only scrub a bit of speed but save your brakes a ton of wear.

blue rotors...not supposed to use the brakes so much...try lifting a little earlier before corners....your car will only scrub a bit of speed but save your brakes a ton of wear.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but coasting up to the corners doesn't do much for lap times.

In a school enviroment, skill advancement is the key, not lap times...so lifting a little early keeps brakes on the car for the whole weekend.

This is something we do during endurance races to avoid a pad change every 6 hours..conservation.

If you prep the car to come to the track with brand new brakes, and plan on using them up in one weekend, sure, shoot for lap times. but if your brakes fail from overheating the rotors or fluid, was it really worth it?

In a school, a lap time is not important, unless you come to the school with a full blooded race car and your using the sessions to test. A street car shouldn't be pushed that hard....like I said, the emphasis is on skills, not a lap time...The vast majority of the students, Todd, don't need to go melt the brakes off their car, and then have to drive the car home as well after the event...unless they are trailering the car home like you do, which is kind of rare for HPDE students...your the exception..plus your Z06 generates more speed than 80% of the cars out there, so you have a different situation....I was refereing to the 80% of the students, not the 20...

btw- keep up the good work on the mag. I love reading your stories...maybe this would be a good story to do in the mag....take a poll of students before the weekend, then after they attend my classroom instruction and do some track driving, poll them again, and see if their opinion has changed and what they took away from the event....lap times or skill advancement?

Lap times vs. skill advancement....I was pretty much under the impression that an improvement in lap times (consistently) meant an advancement in skills (the car and track of course both being a constant). If you are not measuring by lap times, what form of quantitative measurement are you using? Skip Barber uses data acquisition to improve driver skill, which is essentially a very precise form of lap timing, but with braking, throttle, and steering analysis.

PS - Mule, I run with traction control and active handling off on the Z06 - it tends to get in the way of having fun on the track and on the street. The only time I notice the ABS kicking in is when I am braking over the crest of a hill, like T6 at Road America, or braking through a deep puddle of water (hydroplaning).

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but coasting up to the corners doesn't do much for lap times.

Todd-

I think that was referencing me saying I had blue rotors after my sessions at BeaveRun (on the first page of this thread). I trailer my car to events and I am not too worried about cooking brakes in a weekend. This is the first track that I have gotten blue rotors at and from most of the folks I have talked to, it is normal considering the layout of the track. Also, since I am still learning and have a pretty fast car, I think that contributes to my brake condition. I am running all upgraded components and didn't have any issues with fade, etc. Overall, for somebody that is hoping to get a comp license and it trailering a car to all of the events, I don't think being hard on the brakes is an issue. However, if somebody is running stock brake components and has to drive the car home, I agree that lifting a bit earlier is a good idea.

-YS