Anyone running Hoosier R45As?

Allegro Racing

not anymore. they are not very consistent but the tread will last more than 3 hours. they will get very slippery after about 45 minutes to one hour or continuous racing. you really need to run a radial tire for enduros. what size are you running? I am using the new Hankook radial slick and it works great and is very consistant. they just don't have alot of sizes.

These are my sizes...I'm currently using Avon A24s and they're too hard, we throw away heat-cycled-out tires with TONS of tread...you could probably run 6 hours on them.

F: 175/530 R13

R: 250/570 R13

(in American):

F: 20.7"(diameter - 530) x 6.8"(tread width - 175) x 13"

R: 22.3"(diameter - 570) x 9.7"(tread width - 250) x 13"

Our car is 1300lbs full too.

what race car are these on? Is it the Radical? I believe the Avon's are specificly designed for the radical. Also who are you using as a tire supplier? Have you used anything else?

It is the Radical though the actual "designed for" tire was a Dunlop, the Avons are actually what they run on FF2000.

I'm going to try the Hoosiers, the A24s are the hardest compound available (and they're too hard even for enduros) and A11s are supposed to be the equivalent of the Hoosiers so I thought I'd try a set of them since it's a pretty common DSR/CSR tire.

But testing data isn't always useful for how something will last in an enduro.

I think all these tires suffer from the fact that in the US this car is used almost exclusively for sprint races in the SCCA. I spoke a while back with my tire supplier and I had asked about that Avon and he said it was designed for the Radical but that may have been his opinion. Your problem with the current tire is that it overheats and loses performance? You could change the setup a little and maybe get some more life out of the tire. if the tread is not wearing out then the harder compound is not likely to solve your problem. It sounds like the tire is getting overheated and then cooling rapidly during the stint. this is then causing the rapid heat cycling and performance drop off without excessive wear. A less aggressive setup of the chassis may work but you would have to do some testing to be sure. Might take some roll out of the setup and maybe make the setup a bit stiffer. the softer setup will be a bit faster at first but it could overheat the tires. the stiffer setup will be a little slower at first but maybe more consistant through the race. I would be fun to test with a couple sets of tires and a couple different setups. I am not a big fan of the bias ply tires, but some cars are built around them. good luck

Actually the problem is the Avons never get hot, they never have grip and the little grip they have goes off after 6 or 7 heat cycles despite them having full tread.

I ran the Hoosiers at a test day yesterday in stupendous heat...it was at or over 110 degrees all day, the Hoosiers were much better and seemed to be wearing pretty well but the proof is in the pudding.

I'd rather pull off a set of tires that were pretty much knackered at the end of a race than ones that show no appreciable wear but were Flintstone hard so I think we're going to try the Hoosiers for one event just to see.

But thanks for the advice, I have several things to pay particular attention to.

If you are not getting enough heat then try a softer setup with more roll in the suspension. this will get more heat into the tire and will keep the temps up and prevent the heat cycling. may need a change in driving style as well. I agree on the tire wear. I like to get all the tread removed before I change to a new set at almost $1000 dolars a set I want all the mileage I can get. good luck and try a few different setups with the tires

Thank but softer with the Radical is a disaster...between the aero and the wankey front geometry it is almost undriveable with a soft setup...the other thing we might try are the Avon A11 compounds but the A24s are just too hard for competition. I feel sorry for the F2000 guys who run on them.

I understand the compromises that can come up with different cars. I guess testing is the only way to get to the right combination. what exactly is "wanky" about the front suspension? You might try just a softer shock setting and leave the sway bars in there "hard " setting and then try the soft sway bar with the stiffer shock setttings