Getting started with NASA & HPDE's

SlickDizzy

Hello everyone, I've been eyeing NASA for a while, and now that the Midwest region is pretty strong I think I'd like to join. I'm 17 years old with a pretty sturdy first generation Mazda RX7; I have NO track experience at all, but I really want to get into some HPDE's and start having some fun on the track (after being a subscriber to GRM for almost 2 years, I figure it's about time )

Basically, I'm just confused on where I should begin. Obviously I should register with NASA and get my membership, but where do I go from there? I know that the event I'd like to attend is the October 21/22 session at Road America (which, if I'm reading right, would be open for a beginner HPDE).

Any sort of help or guidance would be appreciated!

I think this is in the pages that Collier gave you but just in case you missed it.....

3.6 Minors

No one under 18 years of age (16 years of age, ** with parental consent) is allowed to be on the track. The hot pits (pit lane) are considered part of the track. A minor release form must be filled out and be on file with NASA at every event for 16 and 17 year old participants. All minor participants should have at least one parent or legal guardian present at all times.

The articles at the bottom of the nasaproracing page mentioned should answer most of your questions but speak up in here if you need anything else.

Welcome to NASA and hope to see you at Road America!

Alright, thanks, I think I have it understood. The parental supervision should be no problem, my dad is pretty cool with the idea of me getting some track time.

Which reminds me, about how much time would I get on the track per day with an HPDE1 group?

... usually if there are no race groups running, you'd get a couple of hours worth. If it is mixed, HPDEs and racing, you should see at least an hour.

You've got plenty of time between now and that event. You really should flush the brake fluid with something that has a higher boiling point such as ATE Super Blue (only about $15 for a can which will be plenty). Make sure your car's brake pads are in good working order. You might want to wait till mid Sept. to do this.

Do you have a helmet? If you're planning on borrowing one, contact the region to ensure they do in fact have loaners. (It would be easier for you to have your own.)

There are a lot of threads on this site esp. in the HPDE section that will be of value to you. I'm sure you'll have an absolute blast at the event!

Which reminds me, about how much time would I get on the track per day with an HPDE1 group?

You should get nearly 1-1/2 hours each day in the Midwest region. You will also be spending time in Classroom training. Trust me, the 1-1/2 hours will wear you out at your first couple of events. You will be concentrating on applying what you have learned in the classroom.

• 2 months later...

Are you signed up and coming to Road America this weekend? If so, Jeff is the HPDE 1/2 instructor. You will learn quite a bit from him as he is an excellent teacher. If you do make it, I'll be the grey civic running in HPDE 3. Come over and say hi, I wouln't mind seeing that RX-7.

Hello everyone, I've been eyeing NASA for a while, and now that the Midwest region is pretty strong I think I'd like to join. I'm 17 years old with a pretty sturdy first generation Mazda RX7; I have NO track experience at all, but I really want to get into some HPDE's and start having some fun on the track (after being a subscriber to GRM for almost 2 years, I figure it's about time )

Basically, I'm just confused on where I should begin. Obviously I should register with NASA and get my membership, but where do I go from there? I know that the event I'd like to attend is the October 21/22 session at Road America (which, if I'm reading right, would be open for a beginner HPDE).

Any sort of help or guidance would be appreciated!

Hey Slick. Welcome.... Join NASA, and go to the region's website. Also read the stuff on the National site about Firsts HPDE day.You will need to contact the regional director about a minor waiver to be able to participate on the track. The other advice I will offer is if you can't afford to drive at the event, offer to work grid or a flag station. Knowing the way the event is run will make your track days much easier when you do drive.