What's involved in going from HPDE3 to HPDE4?

Steve S.

• Members

I have run HPDE3, but there was no information as to when you should move up to HPDE4 or what the basis is for your progression to the next level.

I have received great comments and complementary marks, However I think I still need a bit more time in HPDE3 to refine my driving and become more smooth at higher speeds.

I think it would be helpful to know what is involved so when I think I am ready I can attempt to move forward, which will most likely be sometime soon

Any help on this?

I was.

Then you remember when in the HPDE3 meetings how the instructor asked if anyone wanted to be evaluated for group 4? He asks every track day the same question. You can also speak with him directly.

• Members

I honestly don't remember him saying that. Perhaps he did not think any of us should have asked to be evaluated.

As I stated, I am not ready yet, but I feel I am close. I think a few more polishing sessions are in order and perhaps a few laps with an instructor for the things I am missing.

I just was currious what the proceedure was. So thanks for the tip....

Steven Stepanian

sure no prob. What car were you in? I was the fool who thought it might be a good idea to take a 110hp bright green hatch Aveo to a fast track.

• Members
I was.

Then you remember when in the HPDE3 meetings how the instructor asked if anyone wanted to be evaluated for group 4? He asks every track day the same question. You can also speak with him directly.

It was Mark who ran the HPDE3 group.

Basically, to run in the HPDE4 group you need to not only display the ability to find and use a good driving line, but you must demonstrate the ability to have track awareness. I would define that as the ability to identify traffic (catching or being catched) and properly handle it. Also being extremely predictable on the track and keeping the car out of the dirt is a plus.

• Members

Yes, it was Mark....great accent and super nice guy. I loved his method of handling the group.

Unfortunately, he had to deal with a really bad 1st session....1 roll over and all! (as you probably know)

So it was pretty much what I thought...once you think you're ready, you ask to be evaluated and go from there.

Like most guys in HPDE3, I have line work to so and some dialing in on the finer points of going faster. My ego is not so big that I don't realize this.

What's really great is that if you don't have the money to build a car and race, HPDE's are just enough to satisfy that Jones you get from time to time to go really fast. And the NASA group make it enjoyable, safe and worth every penny you spend!

I can't wait to do a session at another and/or new track.

Steven Stepanian

• Members

Sorry you missed Sunday. As I noted, the 1st session was REALLY bad. We had 5 drivers go 4 off and one roll over. Driver was ok and safety crew was awesome. GTI with oversteer in Turn 9.

I did a little gardening up in turn 4 with my rights in session 3 trying to make 4 & 5 one big turn before getting on the binders hard for 6. As you may have guessed it, that didn't work. Then to top matters off, I went hot into 9 trying to catch a 911 Turbo on the straight and ran out of talent on the exit. Saved it from spinning and went straight through the dirt & in to the pits. It all came out alright, but it wasn't pretty.

I heard your weather was perfect and the group did well on Sat.

I hope we can dice a bit one day!

I think that's about the 7th time I have been on that track. Its also the 5th car I have driven on it. I have been fortunate enough to never leave the track, though I did have a bit of a slide when a 240sx I was chasing blew it's engine leaving a nice puddle of antifreeze in turn 5.

Even though my car was a turd, I have never felt so comfortable in turn 9. I was able to hold and exit at 85 through the turn which is probably about 5mph more than I've been able to do consistantly. Too bad the Aveo and all it's 110hp had a hard time accelerating past 80. Even exiting at 85, I could only hit 95 on the straight and just under 100 in turn 8.

Definately a good time on Saturday. I can't believe Sunday went like that. The GTI, was he there on Saturday too? I remember a black GTI running in HPDE3, he was quick enough that even if I could hang in the turns, he'd be able to pull away on the straights... just like all the others.

Maybe next time, I'll bring the Mazdaspeed Protege again, it fits that track well.

i was there on saturday, just moved into 3 but havent run with them yet. i remember seeing that little aveo! i gave you a thumbs up and a bit of a laugh when you were in pre-grid. that was awesome seeing that little car haul some ass, you looked like you had atleast 90 more hp then you did! cant wait to run with you out there when i get my porsche 924S fixed!

• Members

Renting a 350Z for a full day of HPDE…..$90.

Track fee and Gas…………$200

Ripping down the front straight at Willowsprings with Sammy Hagar’s "I can't drive 55" playing on satellite radio at 125mph.....Priceless!

(Calm down Mark....the radio wasn't on...)

i was there on saturday, just moved into 3 but havent run with them yet. i remember seeing that little aveo! i gave you a thumbs up and a bit of a laugh when you were in pre-grid. that was awesome seeing that little car haul some ass, you looked like you had atleast 90 more hp then you did! cant wait to run with you out there when i get my porsche 924S fixed!

Thanks for the props. I was running 1:51 solo and 1:53 with a passenger. The car just can't really accelerate past 80 and considering the only spot you are really under 80 is turn 3-5 that's a huge disadvantage. It's always fun though to go out and 'see what she'll do'

As for power, the car has 110hp stock so I don't think I get but maybe 90 to the wheels. I don't know I'll be running the Aveo at willow springs again, it's just too slow. I'll probably just take out my fiance's Mazdaspeed Protege, at least it can hold 120 through turn 8 unlike the aveo which can 'ALMOST' hit 100 by the end of the turn.

You might have seen me in a white 350Z in HPDE3 on Sunday. (#7 )

Dude, Ain't no way you're ready in that rental !!!

Actually, I have some good video of your line (I'm the guy in the Tiger Striped #13 Miata) when you passed me

Personally I think you could go up to Grp4 no problem, it has those really aggressive TT guys in it !!!! I'd make the move up but my best lap all weekend was 1.44.6, that would put me 2nd slowest in Grp4. That makes me not so ready to move-up, I don't want to be in the way of guys running for a championship.

So, I've decided to take the Driving Concepts "Comp Class" at Buttonwillow October 14 & 15 to get my racing license. My plan is to go right to racing once 2007 season begins.

Regardless, ask Mark (our instructor), he'll help ya out.