If you were to build an AI car again what would be different

white_2kgt

And don't say buy someone elses

Say you were starting from a bare chassis, is there any additional work you would do to it that would be harder/impractical once it is all together?

My short list includes, seam welding and in floor SFC's and nothing that isn't 100% necessary to comply w/ the rules.

And on an SN95, you don't put the old roof back on, you can buy a new roof skin from Ford and save 60 lbs.

What do you mean? I am cutting the roof off to drop the cage in, are you saying there is a lighter roof you can buy from ford??

Don't know about Ford, but you can definitely buy the carbon-fiber one from Tiger Racing.

Carbon is not legal for AI only AIX.

Building my ’04 BIW for AI Texas I have learned a lot, not only about the rules but a ton of different things.

It was definitely an experience to be remembered.

I’m quite amazed at how light you can make a ’04 Mustang BIW. I stopped removing unwanted metal and other unnecessary material with fear of being to light. I’m glad I stopped when I did.

I would be glad to speak to anyone regarding my build just send me an email or pm.

Best regards,

jg at chicane23.com

Edited by Guest

And on an SN95, you don't put the old roof back on, you can buy a new roof skin from Ford and save 60 lbs.

What do you mean? I am cutting the roof off to drop the cage in, are you saying there is a lighter roof you can buy from ford??

You can buy a new steel roof skin from Ford. It is only the skin with no reinforcements. You can also gut your own roof, but it is harder to get the last 35 lbs out without screwing up the roof.

Don't know about Ford, but you can definitely buy the carbon-fiber one from Tiger Racing.

Carbon is not legal for AI only AIX.

Building my ’04 BIW for AI Texas I have learned a lot, not only about the rules but a ton of different things.

It was definitely an experience to be remembered.

I’m quite amazed at how light you can make a ’04 Mustang BIW. I stopped removing unwanted metal and other unnecessary material with fear of being to light. I’m glad I stopped when I did.

I would be glad to speak to anyone regarding my build just send me an email or pm.

Best regards,

jg at chicane23.com

I am contemplating some surgery before October.....might need to come up to the shop and look your car over again for ideas. I am going to add a few more bars to the cage and weld the a, b and c pilars to the halo....but the top is probably going to come off....so far I see 119 spot welds to get rid of the unwanted reinforcements....

You are welcome to come by, just let me know.

I reused my roof skin as I was bored one weekend.

I am going to call the ford house and see what a new skin costs....it might be worth it to get a new one and just hack out the old setup and be done with it.....I am sure these skins can't be THAT expensive?

I am going to call the ford house and see what a new skin costs....it might be worth it to get a new one and just hack out the old setup and be done with it.....I am sure these skins can't be THAT expensive?

The roof skins are very easy to pull off with the right style spot weld cutter. I think that we had ours off in under an hour or so.

The roof skins are very easy to pull off with the right style spot weld cutter. I think that we had ours off in under an hour or so.

What would be the "right style spot weld cutter"?

It's essentially a large punch that cuts the spot weld similar to drilling them out. Body shops usually have them and might even find one at Northern tool.... Would make the job really easy!

It's essentially a large punch that cuts the spot weld similar to drilling them out. Body shops usually have them and might even find one at Northern tool.... Would make the job really easy!

like this?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTELargeImageView?rfno=36327&storeId=6970&zoomId=none

1/2" should do you well with most all spot welds. They (spot welds)are not all that precise and sometimes its difficult to see where the exact center is. If you don't buy a kit the reversable ones are a great alternative because sometimes these things do catch and break. Always nice to have another on hand. It also helps to use a flap disc on an angle grinder and sand the area a little to remove any burs and make it flat prior to drilling. Otherwise it's common for the tool to walk.

-V

Get some bigger sizes. If you use too small a size you'll be cutting through the weld itself, which will quickly destroy the cutting edge. You'll need a self-energizing center punch (to mark the center), a small drill (1/8" scrap bits in bulk work well - to deepen the center punch mark and keep the cutter from "skipping") a spot weld cutter (with spare bits, for most of the holes) and a rotabroach set (for the larger spot welds, or the ones you can't see.

Remember, the idea isn't to cut through the weld, but through the top layer of steel. Have some gloves, long sleeves, and safety glasses ready. That stuff is nasty hot, especially when you're doing it on your back looking up.

... especially when you're doing it on your back looking up.

I'll be doing it looking down, as I'm taking the roof off

Now, what is a "self-energizing center punch"?? All the ones I have you have to hit it w/ a hammer to punch a center.

1/2" should do you well with most all spot welds. They (spot welds)are not all that precise and sometimes its difficult to see where the exact center is. If you don't buy a kit the reversable ones are a great alternative because sometimes these things do catch and break. Always nice to have another on hand. It also helps to use a flap disc on an angle grinder and sand the area a little to remove any burs and make it flat prior to drilling. Otherwise it's common for the tool to walk.

-V

1/2" is really too big for spotweld application. 3/8" is the right size. I use http://www.blairequipment.com/Spotweld_Cutters/Spotweld_Cutters.html

# 13224 because they don't put a hole in the underlaying material, but allow you to simply remove the top peice. The center post is a guide/plunger so it doesn't drill through the 2nd layer.

You can see the result of the cutter below:

DSCN1461.JPG

The circles that are along the body are the result of the Blair cutter. With the other style cutters those would have been complete holes. The actual holes you see are in the body and were not drilled by us.

bpt

BT and Mark seemed to drill from the top down and yes the holes are not in the skin. I actually did the opposite with mine so I could save the skin as I didn't need the underlying material.

BT and Mark seemed to drill from the top down and yes the holes are not in the skin. I actually did the opposite with mine so I could save the skin as I didn't need the underlying material.

you mean the holes ARE in the skin