Best tires????

davidfarmer

OK Vette & Viper guys, barring any restrictions, what is the best tire for sprint racing? Hoosier DOT, Kumho DOT, Goodyear DOT/slicks, etc. Given an unrestricted class, what would you run.

I've run tire-specific-series for so long, I don't know who's my best choice.

btw, 275-305 18" front

315-335 18" rear

David,

When I was running my old car I went thru many different tires. I liked the Goodyear R19 Slicks but getting them to be consistent set after set was too hard. One set was great and the next set in the same compund wasn't. Maybe some of them sat in warehouses, I don't know. I switched to Kumho 710's. Its a great tire. Fast on the initial heat cycle. Moderate on heat cycles 2-5, (Probably .5-1 sec slower) and gets slower as the heat cycles go on.

Like Frank I also have a set of Goodyear slicks if you are interested. They are 25.5X11.5X18. They still have the stickers on them. They are 595 compound.

you guys like the Kumhos better than Hoosiers??? Hoosier has more size options, which I like, although I always liked the Kumhos back in my T1 days.

Questions 2, how did you build a 2100lb C5? My car is completely carbon fiber, and still weighs around 2550 empty. I would think the turbo setup alone would be 100lbs!

Anyway, just think about maybe coming to the Nationals, and looking for the best tire.

**btw, on the subject of the Nationals, since we are all presumably running for the win, I don't really understand why VVC even exists at this point. There are no Vipers in the southeast, so all of the Vettes run in SU. I hear VVC might dissapear, but would love to hear any opinions.

next year they are looking at the grand production class to solve some problems.

There are a number of porsche's that run so opening it up tobe porsche's, vette's, viper's ,etc.. should mean more competition and bigger turnouts.

Tires: V710's have been best for me,but the new R6 hoosiers have been nearly as good (but only a few heat cycles of testing so far). The older R5 compound just wasn't very good.

My new hoosiers have been about .5 seconds a lap slower then the kumho's and are more expensive but do allow me to run 18's all around.

The VRL hoosiers are 305 and 335 and rock. They, when new, are some awesome gripping tires but they are slicks. More expensive also.

The Hoosier guy (Jeff Speer) just told me the compounds are actually the same, and he thinks the R6 is a better tire than the VRL tire, given a choice.

Was going to go with Kumhos, but looks like they may be sold out in 335's.

Still time to decide.

David, I have been working on a new class for next season called Grand Production Challenge (GPC) for NASA. We have been running it in Texas for the 2006 season with what I consider good turn out for a first year class. We usually get 3 Corvettes and 3 Porsches Cup Cars and GT-3s with several M3s and several Ferraris' 348s and 355 Challengs.

I plan to work out the final information with Greg for the 2007 Season.

I have the current rules if you want to see them. I don't think they will change too much for 2007, but I do know it will be based on a points system next season with hopefully the same class results as we currently are using.