• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 944-Spec#94

• PeanutinCA

• Cory M

• 944spec92

Glass must remain stock.

In spite of the potential for rock damage glass is required. For what it is worth I have bee using the same windshield in my race car since 2000. At the time I had to replace it because of someone throwing a softball size rock in it when the PO was trying to sell it.

My glass is pitted, but 6 years of track use seems good consider it was used glass when I got it installed.

This might be a big problem at miller. Everthing at miller was awesome and the best ever... cept .... there were rocks flying the whole time ! I think i got 4 huge cracks at miller . my grey car needed a new WS before the next event. the new NASA sticker on the side of my car was also destroyed.

Chuck

Chuck,

I heard they have plans to put either grass or something down around the track to minimize this issue. Can't say it will solve it, but my guess is next time out at Miller will be better. Remember it is a Pro track too so amenities are a concern.

Around here in Arizona PIR is has been getting better over the years since they have been paving the infield. Even so rock damage happens. At Firebired is even a bigger issue.

I don't know of any track in So-Cal or Az other than Cal-Speedway that has true grass area's for run off. All other tracks have places were rock debris can strike.

That is why my 944 nose looked like this... Oilcooler-outside.jpg

Lexan is a cost and safety advantage. I've been running the same lexan on my turbo track car for 5 years. It's taken huge rocks, rubber, and body parts at high speeds. Never once was I concerned about a windshield being in my lap or my weekend being over due to a crack in the driver's field of vision.

Sure, it's pitted and slightly more difficult see with the glare given a low sun angle. It's also nice to be able to take it out with ease to paint or do any type of work where direct access to the dash area is needed.

I think it's almost bullet proof at the angle it lays in the car. Very strong and durable.

This is definetly an item that should be considered for what this class. No performance advantage whatsoever but plenty of cost and safety positives.

Any reasons why they should not be allowed?

"dont they weigh less ...? that would be an advantage. less weight up high. "

They may weight a few pounds less. But I have a pretty big fat heavy head (especially after a night at the DI Club) and it's up high. You don't see me asking Timmee to add ballast to his head to make up the difference!

This one seems like a no brainer to me.

Now here's an item that should be seriously considered by the powers to be. From a safety perspective, and from a perceived cost perspective a lexan windshield that would not need to be replaced as often and one that provides a considerable amount of improved safety would make sense.

Too bad that we have missed the PCA Club Racing new rule submission cut-off date. This is a rule (allowing lexan windshields for safety) that may possibly be supported by the masses.

What do others think?

After replacing 2 glass windshields in a matter of months (last year), at the cost of about $500, I had pushed this idea also. Others had also backed the idea when they also had the same issue. It's a catch 22, if you don't have one, then you would want one and that makes it one of those items the directors are trying to avoid. Must have items that cost money when you already have a functioning item. But, on the other hand, when you spend $500 replacing it twice in a matter of months and then now my current glass is cracked also, then it completely makes sense to replace it with Lexan. So, nobody wins in this decision. Well, except the people who are unfortunate enough to get cracked windshields. Of course, I know the solution to this one. I should learn to drive faster so I'm always in front!

My vote it to allow it. I don't want to have to spend another $250 for my third glass windshield only to have it be a problem again!

OK, my solution is this. If you put in Lexan, you have to put the weight difference back into the car, bolted to the sunroof. Nobody loses then?

P.D.

You could probably bolt some ballast under the dash, high up near the A/C bits, for a penalty. I would think a 'penalty' is unneccesary though. As long as you're 2600+ lbs, you're good IMHO.

It's not like the A/C delete that moves the Alt. down gives anybody a noticeable advantage. Saving 5-10 lbs in the area of the windshield, I would guess, would make no noticeable difference.

If my windshield broke, I would jump on the chance to run lexan based on the damage most racers seem to experience. Nothing worse than a ruined weekend due to a broken windshield...

Can't you just feel the ground swell occurring in support from the masses on the class legal use of lexan windshields?

Is there any reason for not allowing this other than initial cost concerns?

Anybody else?

Replace with Lexan when you feel the need. That's my vote. It doesn't need to be done initially but it would be nice as an option for the future.

I know I don't run with you guys...long commute from Ohio...but I busted my windshield at Putnam Park 3 years ago and opted for lexan. Cost was no more and a heck of a lot easier to install!

I run GTS1 and weighed 2667 at Mid Ohio a couple of weekends ago. My lexan has taken some big hits from debris and still is clear.

Just my two cents

Nice, well since I really can't race with you all for a while anyway, since everyone lives so dang far away, and I don't have a tow rig, I guess I am going to replace my glass with lexan... tried to have it replaced with glass a few months back and the guy destroyed my existing glass before determining that the new glass was not the right fit... then tried to tell me the right glass would be 2x the money.

So where is the best place to source a late windshield in lexan?

PCA allows Lexan windshields(only windshields) in all stock class cars. So an I-class 944 can run with one. I support the option of a lexan windshield in 944 Spec for safety and as it may allow a racer in the north to keep a fan and heater, while still making minimun weight.

I protect my windshield with a 6 mil thick clear film. Much like paint protection film. Your local tint shop should be able to assist in installation.

Due to the curvature of the window it is difficult to cover more than about 90% of the surface but it clearly saved my windshield from cracking a few times.

Mikael,

Do you know of any good tint shops that could do this work

I do think that Lexan from a safety standpoint makes very good sense. Also, what is the weight differential? If it is significant, keep the weight at 2600 and those below should balast. With as prevalent as cracks are, eventually everyone may have to go that route.

Wait a minute...Hmmm, let me think about this...

NO FREAKIN RULE CHANGES!!!!

quote]

But this is an 'advantage' you don't have yet. You sure you don't want it? Arn't you due for a new windshield also? Mikael, will you give up the headers for some lexan?

P.D.

Seems like the weight difference between glass and lexan is being elusive. All of us still need to meet the minimum 2600 pounds. The lexan advantages in cost for the long haul is sigificant. Is the weight difference up high even measurable? And wouldn't less weight up high be less prone to roll-over inertia (OK - bit of a stretch here).

So, if lexan is proven to be considerably safer, less costly over time, easier to handle and install, might motivate those with current small chips or small glass cracks to replace earlier, and be better for the class in the long run. Why not a FREAKIN RULE CHANGE?

What are the actual steps that need to be done since there seems to have been enough positive repsonses for lexan windshields? How does a rule change (or in this case a new allowable) happen?

The possible new rule change would allow but not require lexan windshields. Meaning, those who want to remain street legal can keep their glass windshields and those who prefer to run lexan for safety and replacement cost alleviation can run lexan.

Seems like original glass weighs 27 lbs., lexan 9 lbs for an 18 lb. difference.

Maybe we can allow lexan for clydesdale sized drivers who weigh 200 plus pounds, have their cars totally stripped, and are still way over minimum weight to get some weight relief? OK, OK there are better ways to carry less car weight i.e. diets, less beer, more training, take the spare out, not run with full tanks or ballast.

Back to the issue at hand - Lexan windshields anyone?

I just put a new windshield in 0 miles ago, I have needed a new one since half way through the season but have put it off as long as possible. I know I will need another one half way through the season coming up, a couple of the tracks here may as well be dirt roads after a couple of cars go off. (east track at Firebird mostly) So please do not avoid PIR in December for the 4th race, very little to no rocks there!!!

Short story long, I am fine with having lexan and would definatly install instead of glass. If you are into ecology and want to help save the earth for future generations, just think for a minute, were do all of those windshields go that we are constantly changing in our street cars and race cars from all over the world!!!! (Just a little guilt trip for those of you that are on the fence about this)

Norman #99