Lurchie

RallyMoto?

Lurchie

Is it a go-go?

The bike is ready and legal...

sept06018.jpg

wvonkessler

Lurch:

It is. It's just taken an unanticipated back seat to other issues. We fully expect the first event to be Sandhills next Jan/Feb (at least if Anders has his way )

Wilson

Lurchie

Sweet. I'm guessing on ditching the 17's and going with knobs for Sandhills.

Keep us posted. And make sure there is adequate notice on the other boards (thumpertalk, KTMtalk, Advrider, Supermotojunkie, etc.) I can help you get the word out as the details become solidified.

Thanks,

Lurch

Anders Green
We fully expect the first event to be Sandhills next Jan/Feb (at least if Anders has his way )

If Wilson is talking about the Sandblast Rally, then yes. *smirk*

I've already gotten the go-ahead from my forest to allow bikes, so there are no issues there. In fact, I also stopped in at a bike shop on my way home from Cheraw to try to get a feel for the local bike scene. There are LOTS of motorcrossers down there.

Anders

wvonkessler

If Wilson is talking about the Sandblast Rally, then yes. *smirk*

Anders

Anders:

How are those chigger bites? I bet they really itch.

I stand corrected for the second(?) time.

Wilson

Anders Green

I have nine. They all itch. Super-hot water helps.

Note to everyone: Sandblast Rally doesn't have chiggers.

Anders

Lurchie

What are entry fees likely to be for bikes?

Keep in mind that enduro and mx guys can enter just about any race any weekend for about 20 bucks, and last time I was an amatuer AMA racer it cost me $35 for both my national license and district membership.

Your pricing will likely reflect the level of competition you should expect to see.

If the fees are kept low, you will have faster riders on 250# 450s and 525s giving it hell...and you will likely have a turnout sufficient to make it worthwhile/sustainable.

If they are higher, you'll get a few guys on their 450# twin cyl. "adventure" bikes (BMWs, 950 Adventures, etc.) stroking it trying to fiddle with their GPS all day while being careful not to scratch the tank with that gawdawful sand...and you will have much fewer entries total.

Sounds similar to some auto rally series in recent years.

The other REALLY good side to this is the potential event sponsors in the form of MC companies, apparel companies, dealers around the state, etc. This kinda stuff sells bikes better than rally sells cars.

Good luck!

wvonkessler

Anders

Take fingernail polish and paint it over the bite. This deprives the little devil of O2 and it dies.

Lurchie

While you're at it...do your toenails and wear sandals. Keep 'em guessing.

Anders Green
What are entry fees likely to be for bikes?

My plan is "half what it is for cars", so I'm planning on $250 for Sandblast.

Keep in mind that enduro and mx guys can enter just about any race any weekend for about 20 bucks...

Yup. Unfortunately, having 30 riders at $20 bucks won't nearly cover any of my added expenses (handling all the additional volunteers I'll need to get to cover the larger field).

Sounds similar to some auto rally series in recent years.

Aww snap!

Take fingernail polish and paint it over the bite. This deprives the little devil of O2 and it dies.

From eHow: "Since they don't burrow into the skin, applying nail polish and things of the sort are actually an old wives tale."

The itching is actually caused by the injection of flesh dissolving enzymes by the insect. The larval stage chigger only feeds for a short time, then drops off. The hot water I mentioned does nothing for these enzymes, however, histamine, the chemical that causing the itching sensation (hence the use of anti-histamines) is heat activated. Putting the affected area under very hot water uses up the available histamine, causing a period (4-8 hours for me) where there isn't enough histamine to feel any itching. (However, while under the hot water tap, it itches like CRAZY.)

Lurch, I've got sandals, but I think I need to find a pair that are a little more strappy/dainty to really pull it off.

Anders

mothra
If they are higher, you'll get a few guys on their 450# twin cyl. "adventure" bikes (BMWs, 950 Adventures, etc.) stroking it trying to fiddle with their GPS all day while being careful not to scratch the tank with that gawdawful sand...and you will have much fewer entries total.

My KLR hits the scales at about 350 and has the dents and scratches to prove that it really shouldn't be ridden like an enduro bike. The raw weight is not as much of an issue as it being top heavy.

starion887

Anders

Anders, they must come from chicane work; I have bunch too! Ah, such sacrifice!

Mark B.

starion887

Lurchiw,

I wrote you a PM.

Mark B.

Lurchie

I think $250's fair. It'll weed out the cornfield charlies but not be unattainable for a semi-serious weekend warrior.

Get it out to the motorcycle rags in time, too. It's different enough from any other type of bike event that they may send someone to cover it. Especially if you can draw a big name. Look what Travis Smiley did for Erzberg...and he didn't finish. Much like rally, it took a name from mainstream to make the enduro marketable.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9092478970280268972&q=Erzberg

Then again, you may not wanna go that direction. Not sure of your goals with this.

May want to see if Red Bull wants to get involved. See:

http://www.redbulllastmanstanding.com/

Game on.

Oh yeah...will the course be arrowed?

Anders Green
will the course be arrowed?

While they are not required to be, Sandblast was and will be. We used the same size orange pointers that you've seen at Maine Forest for years, 2'x1' triangles. All road intersections were pointered, and we used down-pointing arrows for cautions. This year we'll be switching to exclamation marks for cautions.

Cheers,

Anders

starion887

Hey Anders,

Don't want to add to you load, but some of the arrow placement instructions were too vague to allow accurate placement last event. There were a few in particular in a stretch of repeated winding turns where it was impossible to figure on which of the winding turns the arrows were to be placed; the picture presented in the sinstructions could have been any of 2 or 3 similar looking turns within a <.5 mi stretch of road. Later in the envet, I actually did not place a couple of arrows as I could not be sure where they should be, and wrong placement makes the competitors decide to ignore them for the most part.

GPS would be OK for arrow location, but only if the event supplied GPS receivers to the stage crews; requiring crews have GPS would be too much to require IMO. Some sort of stake or marker would be another method.

Regards,

Mark B.

Anders Green

The plan is even more accurate and defined placement instructions for next year.

Cheers,

Anders

MarkJohnson
The plan is even more accurate and defined placement instructions for next year.

Cheers,

Anders

That'd be good, we struggled to find some of the locations, too.

I like the idea of GPS points, but out in some of the more wooded areas would we get a clear enough signal/accurate enough readout? Not a GPS expert, though I have one. Somewhere ...

Anders Green
I like the idea of GPS points, but out in some of the more wooded areas would we get a clear enough signal/accurate enough readout?

Short answer: No. You could not rely on GPS alone to tell you exactly where to hammer in a stake. It will get you to the right stretch of road, though. Brains and experience must still be used. As for reception, I didn't have trouble when driving around and getting the locations for all the start/finishes.

Cheers,

Anders

starion887

Brains and experience must still be used.

Man, you are just looking for trouble, aren't you????

BTW, GPS worked at all start/finish locations at RallyWV, even down in the hollows. Using a good GPS receiver is key; there are good one and then there are bad ones....... So if it worked there, it should work anywhere.

Regards,

Mark B.

Lurchie
Using a good GPS receiver is key; there are good one and then there are bad ones...

Mark, do you care to expound on what, in your experience, is a good GPS and what is a bad GPS? Recently bought a Magellan eXplorist 400 for motorcycle expeditions.

Good in canopy? Bad in canopy? Not sure?

Thanks for any info and sorry for further derailling the thread.

starion887

Hey Lurch,

I have a Walmart grade GPS that will lose signal easily under trees. It is an older design. I could even get out of the truck and stand clear of the truck and the unit would not acquire. This unit cost about $130 several years back.

Conversely, I pulled my handheld aircraft GPS for Rally WV and found it rarely if ever lost location info, even in deep mountain hollows in WV. This unit has an external antenna. This unit cost about $500 in 1998.

Speaking as an RF design guy, the issue seems to be one of poor receiver sensitivity in a cheap unit, and of antenna quality. Built in antennas never will work as well.

As for your unit? Well, you just have to find a dense tree grove there in MI (????) and see what happens. I can't tell you if it is good or not, not having had one. If it has a detachable antenna and a remote mount option, then it will probably improve performance to use that option. Highest quality units have external antenna mounts, some with internal low noise amplifiers to give best sensitivity.

Make any sense?

Mark B.

Whiplash
Is it a go-go?

The bike is ready and legal...

sept06018.jpg

Wait.... I thought it had to be american made, leak oil and have a V-twin with minimum displacement of 80 ci? Oh and not to forget, kick starter.

JUST KIDDING

Lurchie

Anders, see this video for what enduro guys "expect" from a course layout with regard to arrows. Watch both sides of the trail for the orange arrows.

I think if you are doing less arrowing (which I anticipate you are) you may want to encourage GPS usage as your roads are MUCH faster and turns can sneak up on you way easier and these things don't brake like your rally car. Just a thought.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1460169250141186830&q=motocross+helmet+cam&hl=en

Thanks,

Eric