Lurchie

RallyMoto?

Anders Green
see this video for what enduro guys "expect" from a course layout with regard to arrows. Watch both sides of the trail for the orange arrows.

In the first seven minutes, I couldn't count more than about 1 or maybe 2 seconds in which an arrow wasn't visible. Most of the time you could see from one arrow to the next. If they average 30mph that's one arrow every 22 feet.

...That's just not what's going to happen here. 240 arrows per mile? Nope.

This is, essentially, a new sport. Part of the NCO will be the expectations of what to expect for arrowing on the course, and what sort of changes the riders will need to make to their riding style to stay safe.

In the same way that a driver changes their level of commitment based on stage notes, tulips, or a befuddled codriver, the riders will need to do the same. I really doubt they'll get lost, as these are _roads_, not trails.

Cheers,

Anders

Lurchie

Understood.

I wasn't suggesting that you arrow your course like this. I was just trying to make you aware of possible expectations so that you can plan accordingly with your "NCO" (new competitor orientation? just a guess).

If a guy is spending 250 on a race (when used to paying 30), and he doesn't feel that expectations were met, he is likely to be bitter and let his opinions be known. Just trying to make sure you understand your clientele so you can inform them of expectations adequately.

FYI, you are asking similar prices to Pikes Peak in my estimation (at PP, cars cost $1100 and bikes are 350 w/ prize money...Except when SCCA/RA ran their events...then you paid a higher premium and got no prize money!)

Anders Green
I was just trying to make you aware of possible expectations so that you can plan accordingly

Good idea, I've added it to the NCO agenda.

"NCO" (new competitor orientation? just a guess).

Close, Novice Competitor Orientation. Section 2.4.8.

If a guy is spending 250 on a race (when used to paying 30), and he doesn't feel that expectations were met...

That's definitely a tricky issue. You're correct that part of the solution is to educate the riders before they show up what exactly is going to be happening. It's unfortunate that "it costs what it costs" and that the entry fee is higher. Hopefully there will be a segment of enduro riders that understand the appeal of racing on closed roads.

Cheers,

Anders

mothra

Lurch, What model KTM is that...I can't tell from the picture. I gues its a 400....

Lurchie

It started life as a 520MXC. It has the close ratio 6-speed. It was an '01, but has been updated with an '03 EXC tank/shrouds and a tall seat.

I will probly put the MXC (desert) tank back on it for fuel capacity depending on the service intervals at SB...I don't think the EXC tank has enough capacity (about 55 miles squirting around or 40 miles all on the main jet).

As pictured, it has the cush drive and 17" supermoto wheels, 320mm fr. rotor and stock (relocated) caliper with the hotrod Brembo master. This makes it quick and easy to change between full knobs (21/18") and supermoto wheels...could to it at a service if conditions warranted.

Engine is stock.

mothra

Sounds fun....To bad I could never title it for the street in North Carolina.

Lurchie

Is NC strict on titling bikes off-road bikes?

In Michigan, you make it legal (horn, lights, mirror) and get the checklist from the Sec. of State (our DMV) for the items to make sure it is legal.

Then you get a police officer to do the inspection and check off the list...much like scrutineering at a rally. He signs the paper.

Get insurance (progressive.com) and take your ins. document, signed checklist, and old non-street legal title or MCO to the SOS and they give you a new title, plate, etc.

Here is a list of requirements by state:

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Equipment_Chart_2004_MSFlogo.pdf

Edit:

I just looked on the NCDOT/DMV site and found no provision for "legalizing" a vehicle. I would inquire with them though. Other options include buying a bike that is already plated in another state and transferring the title, or titling in CT (I have heard that one need not be a resident of CT to title a vehicle there and, as such, you can title it there, then transfer it to NC). Finally, many states have a "no sales tax" title transfer for family members. If NC has this, and you have a family member in a title-friendlier state, you can transfer the MCO to said family member (give him the bike) have him title it in his state in his name, then give the bike back to you after you are titled.

Check out http://www.supermotojunkie.com and look in the Street Tards section. This is easier than titling an Australian Evo.

mothra

I have never looked into it in detail for North Carolina. I have always heard that NC is very tough to title offroad bikes. It essentially needs to come with a title. Out off state is likely the best loophole. For now I am just enjoying my KLR 650 . Which suites most of my riding. It woudl be nice to have something lighter offroad.