Race prepped Couagr in Ohio. 5.0 IRS. Make Offer

Driver

This is a relist, but the car has since been reborn:

Don't waste your AI dollar on an archaic 78 fairmont with Mustang panels and badges! You want low, you want wide, and you want IRS! Just look at other "AI projects" and what they're charging.

I'm liquidating my whole road course racing operation. I haven't even had time to drive it lately, nevermind go to track days or installing my new toys. So no trades.

What yo get is a whole lot of stuff, but summarized you get;

-Strong 5.0 w/ TKO

-in a IRS turn-key caged smelly loud car

-a heap of parts to support the habbit of racing.

Still reading? Good, here is the long list of what you're getting;

The Car

1991 Mercury Cougar XR7

5.0 EFI V8 / TKO By Lasota Racing Technologies.

4 wheel disc

IRS

Gutted interior

S&W Gage

Engine:

10k miles, all miles after break-in have seen mobile one

Block:

fully machined (deck squared, line honed, balanced)

ARP wave lock rod bolts

ARP main Studs

FMS oil pump with hardened ARP shaft

Crane cams double roller Timing chain

FMS f-303 cam shaft

Heads:

Ported E7te castings

Multi-angle valve job

Milled to 58cc chambers

TFS double valve springs

TFS chromoly locks and retainers

Teflon valve stem seals

ARP head bolts

Intake:

FMS cobra upper and lower intake manifolds

FMS 65mm throttle body

SN95 70mm air meter with custom cold air intake and K&N filter

Exhaust:

MAC 1 1/2\" primary shorty headers (chrome)

Off-road Downtubes (2 1/2\")

2 1/2\" Thrush mufflers, dumped

Cooling system:

Pep-boys 3-core radiator

Electric fan

Fuel system:

BBK 190lph in-tank fuel pump

flow-matched 19lb injectors

Drive Line:

TKO 5spd trans & fresh clutch

FMS aluminum center section with 4.30 gears

One Piece Aluminum drive shaft included

Ignition:

Crane HI-2000 ignition

Crane fireball coil

FMS 9mm plug wires

Optima Red top battery relocated to the passenger seat pan in NHRA legal box with battery cut of switch

misc:

A/C and Smog pump (and equipment) removed

Interior totaly gutted, only drivers seat remains (passenger seat available)

Comes with Kirkey aluminum bucket and seat cover/pad

G-force 5 point

6pt roll cage

Custom tube framed dash with aluminum skin (all you need, nothing you dont. Carbon Fibre dash shell included, never got around to mounting it)

Autometer Phantom water temp and oil pressure gauges

Suspension:

Factory IRS (comes with spare reinforced subframe and aluminum lower control arms.)

Eibach Pro kit

Rear lateral brace

Wheels/brakes:

Rolling on OE 16x7.5 with good 245/50/16 tires

comes with;

-4 Cobra R replica rims, 17x9

-4 98 cobra rims

Cobra 13" brake upgrade kit for front wheels. Includes front hub conversion (what the 98 wheels are for)

-2 16x7.5 SC rims with BFG Comp T/As

-4 street tires for 17" rims

-4 DOT race slicks for 17" rims.

Also included:

Aluminum pumpkin with 3:27 open diff

spare rear knuckles

spare half stafts

Other stuff I might have forgotten, I'll have to check the basement.

The last lapping event that the car made it to was Mid Ohio on the Club course. At the time, it was still an Auto, and had no 4th gear. It also had a 3.27 open diff, and was unable to acclerate out of turns, it just destroyed tires.

Despite these glaring problems, it still managed to lap consistently in the 1:45-1:50 range. Now, it will certainly accelerate out of corners, when I bought it (with a full interior) it would do a 1/4 mile in the low 13s.

5 forward gears means it will blast past the old 3speed 100mph ceiling, making the straightaways more useable.

Installing the new brakes will mean you can brake later and with more confidence.

This car is fast now, and has outstanding potential as a dedicated road course car. Buy it now and, if we can fit all the extra stuff in it, you can drive it home.

groeri2.jpg

Pictures of anything are available apon request, just give me an e-mail adress.

$4000obo (if you wanna do the 2007 challenge, maybe we can work on the paperwork )

Edited by Guest

Now with less sodium!

Pics:

Seen with 16" street going wheels

sidero0.jpg

Unspecting look, aye?

frontwk3.jpg

Low, but not too low for your jack

rearzx4.jpg

Layered Carbon Fiber dash shell. Weighs about a pound.

dashtm4.jpg

Gutted doors with Lexan Windows. Windows slide up and down, and out. Held by a clevis pin/cotter. No leaks.

doornp2.jpg

See battery box and all important cup holders.

pass2cf9.jpg

8 way power seats, adjustable side bolters and inflatable lumbar. Heavy, but for some reason I cant give it up.

dseatdt3.jpg

The bucket adorns our living room:

seathv4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Offers?

This is the cheapest you are going to get into a competitive car. Tinker with it this winter and dominate AI next season.

Will consider street legal trades. (that can seat at least 2 people)

Lookin for a TSD rally car, I like Mercedes 190s.

Where are you at? I'll offer $2007 in the spring, I'll problably get out bid though, I won't be able to do the challenge though cuz I got high-school.

I have guesses for both, and plans for obtainng both. The car shold be around the 3000-3100 lb range with the cage in it. This is plugging the numbers of what I took out vs what I put back in. HP is a more difficult guess. I bought it from a drag racer (co owner of Lasota Racing tech.) who was angry with the IRS because it wouldn't launch to his liking. Never the less it was a low 13 second car with a full interior and a tank of gas, about 3500lbs. The guestimate of what is needed to do that is between 250-275 bhp, and about 320-330 tq. That's not alot, but the car is still very quick around a track with it. If you invest a bit and bring it up to the AI power/weight limits, it'll be significantly quicker out of the hole and on the straights.

There are a number of Dyno shops here in Columbus, I'm waiting on the next "Dyno Day" to go get some cheap base lines.

Same place you're located. I live on the north side, Polaris Pkwy area.

I would eb interested in an 03 cobra, if I were insane. Beleive me I'd love to have one, but I'm looking to downgrade to something cheaper on insurance, not more expensive. Also, I'm betting you wont be wanting to trade straight up, in which case I definately can't take it, since I have no money.

I'm looking for something to rally, cheap and light hatches with accurate odometers prefered, but I'm open to other beaters as well.

I might be interested, and would like to see it in person. Just let me know when you are avalible, evenings this week? this weekend? Just let me know. Mike

I also have a 96 talon daily driver that I am looking to get rid of. It is really a winter beater, non-turbo, front wheel driver hatch. Engine and manual trans out of a 97 with 65,000 miles. Car runs well, body has 197000 miles. Body looks rather good for that many miles, but not perfect.

Perhaps we can deal. This week isn't going to work, though. Mid terms, plus buisness trip, plus packed weekend. My days and evenings are eaten.

I wouldn't mind having a look at your DSM, though I'm admitedly wary of them.

• 1 month later...

Still for sale. Sorry I disapeared, my computer let it's smoke out. Those of you who sent PMs, I've responded.

$500 discount if you buy it before Christmas.

Just gave a test drive and discovered a new problem:

1st and second gear are uselss on street tires in the cold. The gas pedal should be relabeled as the "Sideways" button.

Still for sale, open for trades. $3000 if you buy it before new years, I'm crazy enough to AutoX it next season, somebody stop me!

• 1 month later...
How many of the spares can I got with the car for in the $2-2.25K range?
Ehh not a whole lot. I have $2g invested in the transmission alone. I'd be wanting $2500 for just the car. If you do buy the car for $2500, and show up with extra cash, you might be able to con me out of some stuff. I've got a grand in wheels and tires alone.

• 1 month later...

My job is being moved 200mi away, so I'm facing a bit of a dilema. This car isn't costing me anything, but does represent potential cash.

I'm slightly more motivated.

which way are you moving? and might it be my way?

making the drive to get the car a little more reasonable

i dont know why but im drawn to this cars potential, why hasnt anyone taken this for this price

if you decide that electronics and musical equipment is what you would rather have right now, instead of a car. you can look my way ill be there in a minuite

Bryan, Ohio.

Why hasn't it sold?

Because people would rather spend more on Mustangs that are slower?

I honestly don't know. I'm atributing it tot he fact that this market is slow, and people don't beleive in the power of the MN12 platform. I've changed minds at Mid Ohio with old 192rwhp Thunderbird, this car will shatter perceptions. Would it be unwise to promote it as "So far superior that it will probably be banned!"

Wow, maybe I just suck at sales. The way the car is layed out, it is far better suited to capitalize on the power/weight ratio limits of the AI class. Imagine turning that lead balast in your too-light Mustang into an IRS suspension and a fuel cell in the middle of the car?

The problem is probably more the fact that I'm only listing it on a few web forums. If I'd ebay'ed it or put it in GRM, it would probably have been sold a long time ago. I'm also considering putting a few vids on You Tube. Unfortunately, a lapping day is out of my budget.

I'd realy like to "keep it in sight" because I'd like to see what the new owner acomplishes with it.