What cars should I consider as weekend/hpde vehicle?

krisko

So a stock Altima has torque steer and no traction, on top of terminal understeer anywhere near the limits of adhesion, unless you re-engineer the whole car (LSD, suspension, etc.)

Maybe that's why we *never* see them on roadcourses?

No offense intended LOL,

Jon

Right now, we don't have an LSD, but we do have the suspension and 245/45/17 Kunho SPT's (soon to be Falken RT615's). We have run better lap times that an E46 330i with a front bar, camber plates, and wheels and tires. Also taken out was a WRX Wagon with a rear bar, a cat-back, Koni strut inserts and wheel and tires. Both drivers have more expierience than my dad has. (2 years) Oh. get this. First time out, ever, dead stock, we ran a better lap time that a Lotus Elise.

Right now, we don't have an LSD, but we do have the suspension and 245/45/17 Kunho SPT's (soon to be Falken RT615's). We have run better lap times that an E46 330i with a front bar, camber plates, and wheels and tires. Also taken out was a WRX Wagon with a rear bar, a cat-back, Koni strut inserts and wheel and tires. Both drivers have more expierience than my dad has. (2 years) Oh. get this. First time out, ever, dead stock, we ran a better lap time that a Lotus Elise.

Very cool. Sorry if I offended you before - I'm sure the Altima is a great street car, it's just not something people usually think of for 10/10ths duty.

Which HPDE group was this in, and on which track?

Thanks,

Jon

No offense, we're running it in HPDE 3 here with Midwest and OH/IN, we were hoping It'd be in TTE (*), but instead, it is in TTE**, which would put us in TTD with five points, woefully uncompetitive, even with that new exhaust we have palnned for the winter. Yes, it is a get street car. Ours makes 220ft/lb at the wheels between 2750 and 3750, perfect for the interstate. I would really like to see one with a 4.0-4.3 liter stroker in a street sleeper style, you can fit at least a 255 under the front so it wouldn't be a gripless burnout whore if somebody did it.

My vote for a miata. ...3k-6k will get you a decent stock one. throw another 2k for suspension, rims, and tires and your just about good to go. 500 for a roll bar. Spend the rest of the 18-20k on a down payment on a house.

Brilliant.

For what its worth - I would stay away from the Mazdaspeed 3's.

I purchased a Mazdaspeed Protege back in 2004. Today, the car sits in this condition:

Resize1.jpg

And here is what happened to it at 46,000 miles.

Resize2.jpg

The above shot does not show another hole on the other side of the motor. The other hole is large enough to slide my entire hand through.

Resize8.jpg

After seeing only 4 or 5 track days, this engine threw at rod. The car was still under warranty and MazdaUSA refuses to even think about coving it. I've decided to keep the car (its a rare car) and build a forged motor from scratch. It turns out a larger percentage (upwards of 30%) of Mazdaspeed Proteges blow their stock/unmodified motors - even if the car is stock itself.

I would reccomend keeping away from Mazdaspeed products until their new designs prove themselves. Hell... just stay away from new Mazdas if possible. Of course, I'm a little jaded... hahaha

sorry to hear about your motor failure. I spun 2 rod bearings at summit point in August and had to swap motors before nationals.

Keep in mind though that rotories dont have connecting rods. Mazda makes a good product.

Haha "Don't make fun of me for my disfigurement"

Nah, normal sized hand. They just used rods that were made with chewing gum, spit, legos, and some silver spraypaint.

I'll give it that Mazda makes a damned good motor when it comes to the RX-7 series. Those things are amazing. I've heard some awful things about the first run of their Renisis but those have since been fixed - from what I was told... Their FS-DE/ZE motors were just junk.

I use my rear motormount as a paperweight. After it busted, the thing was egg-shaped. Replaced all the mounts with ARP 95-Durometer for 1/2 the cost of new OEM ones.

Damn that would suck, my wife still owes $10,000 on the MSP, I'd hate for a similar thing to happen. I'm surprised Mazda wouldn't cover it though if the car is all stock. The only thing we have modified is the midpipe and done the Joe P FPR trick. Oh and another intake hole in the airbox.

Yeah they actually told me that they wouldn't cover it because my "oil smelled funny." So, when you blow your motor, I thought the whole damned thing smelled funny - but that's just me. haha But in addition, because my oil smelled funny and I didn't have "complete oil change records for the past two years" then I got crapped on. Oh well. I get a beter motor out of the deal, right? Because I've got forged internals now, I'm probably going to up the car to around 20psi or so. We'll see what gives the car a good balance.

Apology for the thread hi-jack.