what kind of racing

hwy1strat

I am 16 years old and I want to get into racing. I want to race road course not oval or drag. What is a good series to get into? I am going to take some high performance driving classes. I don't have a lot of money and I want a beginner's series. I really like the formula cars, but I was thinking of starting with the cobra replica series. What do yal think

Ken is correct. I started out in my Dodge Viper and was fortunate to learn the easy way that is not the way to enjoy racing. Start out in a class that is affordable since there is definitly going to be a learning curve and "things" will happen. Starting out in a Miata or an RX7 is affordable and you will possibly even learn more since it's eaiser to "push the envelope" in something that can be fixed for a few bucks. After that you will "KNOW" when the time is right for the Cobra or whatever.

Another NASA venue to consider is Performance Touring (PT)

http://www.performancetouring.com/

Since your $$ limited (who isn't) in PT you essentially have an unlimited choice of cars to race at whatever level of preparation your wallet allows. Here's a blurb from the PT website describing the series:

"PT will class nearly every closed wheel race car imaginable using a points scheme based on NASA’s Time Trial program. Cars are assigned a base class and then receive upgrade points for the modifications done to the vehicle. The car then moves up to faster classes based on how many modification points are accrued."

Good Luck

Scott Neville

#44 NorCal GTI-Cup

http://www.norcalgticup.com

That's a good class too. More or less it used to be the Pro Sedan class. Speaking from experience, not only as a racer, team owner, shop owner not to mention father, I have found typically it is far less expensive to buy someone's used race car rather than attempting to build your own. (at least at first) Typically there are many good deals on used rides that usually come with many extras. All those "little" goodies can really add up when attempting to build a budget car. It seems like the best time to buy a used car is around the end of a season when drivers are considering moving up in a class or simply want a break.

Get in some HPDE classes, like you said, and talk to the racers at the track. Might be that what we would suggest could be a dead class in your region. Also some of the locals might be able to point you towards a guy/gal with a good used race car for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys totally forgot about karting. Excellent classes for people of all ages including those 16 years old and the best venue to learn in - especially if you have any interest at all in formula cars.

Plus its cheaper than anything out there. Any just as competitive if not more so with fewer barriers to entry (such as cost and location).

Karting is an excellent way to get started in any type of racing. Both myself and my son got our start in carting which led to him driving Vipers in NASA and the youngest licensed racer in the U.S.

Bob Bondourant not only have a driving school with race courses but in fact he also has a great karting school as well. It is interesting to note that even to this day just about any famous race car driver you can name including Nascar drivers Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, and the rest and drivers from NHRA, INDY Lights and all the other organizations, still find themselves on Karts not just for fun but to hone the "seat of the pants" method of driving.

At the same time it is important to know that karting is no less expensive than cars if you plan on being competitive. I would not change a thing in my sons driving experience with one exception... If he was still racing Karts as a young boy I would like to have put him in an RX7 with small, worn out old tires and even some rain and let him go.

Spec Miata is the best class for any racer. The cars handle increible well, are fairly inexpensive, and force you drive using proper techniques do to the low horsepower and equivilance between the cars.

It is the highest level of competiton for a driver of any class in NASA or SCCA.

If your aspiration is F1, I suggest you get into Karting immediately. You will need to be competitive and well financed and will more likely than not have to move to Europe to race before ever being considered for F1.