HPDE Tech Inspections

bimmerfish

Are NASA HPDE Tech Inspections (specifically the items listed on the form found on the website) to be performed by a qualified shop prior to the event or are these done at the actual event? If they are to be done prior, is it acceptable for this to be done by any qualified shop (convenient to my location) or are there limited locations?

Go over everything on the list as best as you can yourself. The items that usually cause problems are loose batteries and wheel bearings with play. Check all the lights the day before the event and make sure you haven't lost any bulbs. Get to tech as soon as possible at the track in case there is something amiss, you don't waste too much important time fixing it.

Are NASA HPDE Tech Inspections (specifically the items listed on the form found on the website) to be performed by a qualified shop prior to the event or are these done at the actual event? If they are to be done prior, is it acceptable for this to be done by any qualified shop (convenient to my location) or are there limited locations?

For HPDE1 and 2, the pretech sheet will go to the Instructor who will review the sheet and give the car a once over to make sure the car matches what the sheet says. any leaks, bad tires, non-functioning safety items will keep you off the track. IN GENERAL, if your car can pass the state safety inspection, it should be OK for HPDE. This is obviously assuming there are no defects. . If you do not feel competent to check the items on the pretech sheet than you can take it to one of the tech stations or any local mechanic.

non-functioning safety items will keep you off the track.

Does this just mean seatbelts? Or does your SRS system(airbags) have to work also? It doesnt say anything about your airbag system on the tech sheet.

Does this just mean seatbelts? Or does your SRS system(airbags) have to work also? It doesnt say anything about your airbag system on the tech sheet.

We don't check airbags, but safety items are more than just belts. I don't have the tech form in front of me but things like your helmet, shoes, long pants, and long sleeve (varies from region to region) shirt are under safety. Like has been mentioned above, if the car can pass a state inspection it should be ok for HPDE. Obvious things have already been mentioned also (bald tires, fluid leaks, loose items, etc.). Just take Dwight's advice above and you should be fine.

We don't check airbags, but safety items are more than just belts. I don't have the tech form in front of me but things like your helmet, shoes, long pants, and long sleeve (varies from region to region) shirt are under safety. Like has been mentioned above, if the car can pass a state inspection it should be ok for HPDE. Obvious things have already been mentioned also (bald tires, fluid leaks, loose items, etc.). Just take Dwight's advice above and you should be fine.

Well Ill have all that kind of stuff taken care of. Im just worried, because i unplugged my driver airbag and my SRS light is on. Another thing, would it be safer to plug the airbag back in and reset the srs system? Or just take out the airbags all together? I read somewhere not to wear a full face helmet with a functional airbag system. Its fairly easy to remove the bags, so if that the way to go Ill do that, but its also easy to just plug the driver bag back in...Please let me know ASAP! thanks!

Well Ill have all that kind of stuff taken care of. Im just worried, because i unplugged my driver airbag and my SRS light is on. Another thing, would it be safer to plug the airbag back in and reset the srs system? Or just take out the airbags all together? I read somewhere not to wear a full face helmet with a functional airbag system. Its fairly easy to remove the bags, so if that the way to go Ill do that, but its also easy to just plug the driver bag back in...Please let me know ASAP! thanks!

Well it is unfortunate but I have seen airbags deploy at the track and I can assure you the drivers were glad they did. do not know of a rule that required the airbags be disabled.Personally I would want them active in a non-caged car without harnesses.

Ok, I will just hook it all back up the right way and reset my srs unit. It wasnt a rule about the bags, just saw somewhere( i believe it was snell) that the bags may break your neck if you are wearing a full face helmet??

But anyways, Ill go ahead and hook them up. Thanks for all the help!

Ok, I will just hook it all back up the right way and reset my srs unit. It wasnt a rule about the bags, just saw somewhere( i believe it was snell) that the bags may break your neck if you are wearing a full face helmet??

I have seen this tech document.http://www.mohud-scca.org/Info/download/PB%2005-01%20Airbag%20Advisory.pdf#search=%22airbags%20%2B%20full%20face%20helmet%22 relating to that issue.

That was an urban legend that came from misinterpreting the results of a preliminary test of an airbag system in an F1 car. Airbags are fine if you're wearing a full-faced helmet, probably better than with an open faced (i.e., you're less likely to get burned or get bruises from your glasses).

The "no airbags" rule is for race cars, and my understanding is that its is mostly to protect course workers from detonating air bags if they're trying to extracate someone from a disabled car.

The "other" group warned about air bags and full face helmets. The gist of it was, the force of an air bag on full face helmets were seen to cause broken jaws due to secondary impact with the inside of the helmet.

The "other" group warned about air bags and full face helmets. The gist of it was, the force of an air bag on full face helmets were seen to cause broken jaws due to secondary impact with the inside of the helmet.

That was the doc I linked to Bill.

Have you seen any deployments where the occupants wish did not happen?

Didn't see the link (DUH)

I don't recall any HPDE car that had an air bag deployment strange as it may sound so it's hard to answer that one.

I don't recall any HPDE car that had an air bag deployment strange as it may sound so it's hard to answer that one.

the Evo into the pit wall at Summit

That was last year this time right? I was at Mid-O that weekend...

Hard to forget that one, everyone in the paddock heard it go off. Thought the BSR folks had forgotten to clear one of their explosive devices used for anti-terrorist training.

Were there any injuries in that one, either from the wreck or the airbag deployment?

Hard to forget that one, everyone in the paddock heard it go off. Thought the BSR folks had forgotten to clear one of their explosive devices used for anti-terrorist training.

Were there any injuries in that one, either from the wreck or the airbag deployment?

I picked the instructor up from the Hospital...He was shook up but generally OK. He and the driver both were going to be pretty sore. Interesting to note that the instructor asked EV "Am I dead?" That was a horrific wreck but both occupants survived and I believe it was due to the airbags and helmets.

Also interesting to note this was in HPDE1 and this particular driver was berating other drivers in the classroom for "being too slow" and not getting out of the way. I heard later that this was the second car this driver totaled at a DE. Some people are just not getting the concept.

I picked the instructor up from the Hospital...He was shook up but generally OK. He and the driver both were going to be pretty sore. Interesting to note that the instructor asked EV "Am I dead?" That was a horrific wreck but both occupants survived and I believe it was due to the airbags and helmets.

Also interesting to note this was in HPDE1 and this particular driver was berating other drivers in the classroom for "being too slow" and not getting out of the way. I heard later that this was the second car this driver totaled at a DE. Some people are just not getting the concept.

I hope we won't be inviting him back....

Hmmm, an Evo driver with the attitude/record you describe... any chance this was the same guy who became an internet star after the PDA Pocono event earlier this year?