Would like to start HPDE in a Miata next year.

avgjoe

Next year I'd like to start HPDE in a Miata and I have a few questions that I haven't found the answers to yet.

1. I assume that even w/ the hard top the Miata is still considered a convertible by the CCR and therfore requires a roll bar, yes?

2. If yes to #1, then what readily available, legal bars will fit with the hard top on. At this point I would like to keep it a daily driver and I would like to weld in the roll bar with little or no hacking of the interior. I'm 5'9 w a 32" inseam. I am not opposed to putting in a racing seat and harness if necessary and probably will later on.

3. For HPDE 1 is it worth it to invest in race rubber or just stick w/ real street tires?

4. Any proposed rule changes for next year that might affect my plans?

Any help will be appreciated.

Joe

I don't drive a Miata on the track but my wife and I own one and there is a lot of neat stuff for them. Roll bars can be found here..... http://www.bethania-garage.com/why.htm

These guys seem to have the answers and are/were very helpfull to me whenever I called them....... http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php

Good brake pads and fluid are a must!!! Get your regular maintence items up to snuff.

After that, enjoy the car and learn. 2w1ts9t.gif

What Mike said. Brake fluid is inexpensive ($15 per can of ATE or SuperBlue - same company but different color fluids to make flushing easier). Pads...you'll probably be o.k. with a good set of stock pads. If the ones you have now need to be replaced, call they guys at http://www.Carobtecheng.com (soon to be carbotechbrake.com). They have awesome pads! Good prices, easy on the rotors, and last. The guys there also race Miatas. Just tell them what you'll be doing with the car and if you'll be using on the street too.

So instead of buying tires how about a camera and GX2; worth it? My intention is to get my comp license and go racing.

Any input on #1 from any tech inspectors?

I have done a few track days in a race prepared Miata, it's a great choice.

I don't know about the rules, but I would get a roll bar for sure.

The Miata roofs are fiberglass and won't stop the world from coming in on you in a roll over. Just make sure your head isn't higher than the bar you install. If you have to, get a race seat. The Miata I drove had the seat bolted to the floor so it would be low enough for a tall driver.

I say good street tires, R compound tires don't warn you before they break free, street tires for your first year are perfect.

I am with others on the brakes. Good pads fresh fluid.

Bring a screw driver too. You will need it to pry the smile off your face.

Careful with the roll bar selection to make sure you fit the rules (i.e. broomstick test).

I had an NB and used the Hard Dog Extreme type of roll bar which is supposed to be the tallest. On stock seats wearing a helmet, I was about 1" over the roll bar which is a no-no safety wise. I'm 5'9"ish 34" waist with long legs not torso.

Look for a good bar but you'll also need a racing type seat that can position you lower in the car and 5 or 6 point belts. I tried pulling foam from the seat cushions and that just felt like crap and didn't buy me much extra room to clear the broomstick test.

This was first year in HPDE w/ my 92 miata. Everything I put on my car was research, research, and more research until I was comfortable w/ my purchase decision. I have a Bossfrog Clearview double diagonal rollbar . It's the only roll bar that was tested by SCCA. Harddog is great too. If you have a hardtop then get the hardtop version of the harddog. I have some G-force harnesses as well. Stock seats. i'm 5'8. Oh yes, you will need a rollbar on the track whether or not you have a hardtop.

Bossfrog and Harddog don't require you to hack anything. Install of my BF took about 4 hours. I live by this forum: http://www.miata.net. They tell you everything from troubleshooting, suspension, alignment, installs, maintenance, swaps, etc. You will find all the info you need there.

I use street tires on my for the track. First was Toyo proxes now Bridgestone 950's. I would use the street tires first to get to know your car then switch over to R -compound if that's where you want to go in the future. I use performance pads. Mintex or Axxis Ultimate's. Hope this helps

I assume you'll be racing with NASA since you're on this forum. If you buy/have a cage built, make sure it is to their specs. Don't do anything to the car unless you are sure it meets the CCR (rule book) requirements.

There's also a really, super cool book available to help you. Sorry, just couldn't resist the plug.