do i need a competition class or license prior to...

TRM

participating in the Pocono South Course dates August 28th or 29th?

i notice registration is up and it asks for "your class" prior to registering and paying.

since i have not done a NASA event before would i just use HPDE1 ?

tia

you would choose your HPDE class based on your track experience, you need no license. However you will get a "passport" to record your progress in NASA once you sign up, and you will need an instructor ok to move up levels. The levels look like this:

1 = Beginner. No passing, except designated straights. Instrutor in car.

2 = Beginner. Same as 1, but without instructor. Lead/follows.

3 = Intermediate. Controled Passing activities

4 = Advanced. Open Passing

If you are new to the track. Sign up for one. Instructors will help you from there.

many thanks.

i'll take your advice and select HPDE1. i do know the course and have some decent amatuer expereince, and i'll let the instructors move me up if i'm able to.

• 4 months later...
you would choose your HPDE class based on your track experience, you need no license. However you will get a "passport" to record your progress in NASA once you sign up, and you will need an instructor ok to move up levels. The levels look like this:

1 = Beginner. No passing, except designated straights. Instrutor in car.

2 = Beginner. Same as 1, but without instructor. Lead/follows.

3 = Intermediate. Controled Passing activities

4 = Advanced. Open Passing

If you are new to the track. Sign up for one. Instructors will help you from there.

I've just joined NASA and am thinking of going to Pocono in Aug. If I register for HPDE 1 or 2 will the instructors move me up that weekend if they feel I can run in 3 or 4?

I've done some racing in the distant past, and have pursuit driving experience as well, so I'm pretty comfortable at speed and in traffic.

Looking forward to a great experience with NASA!

I've just joined NASA and am thinking of going to Pocono in Aug. If I register for HPDE 1 or 2 will the instructors move me up that weekend if they feel I can run in 3 or 4?

I've done some racing in the distant past, and have pursuit driving experience as well, so I'm pretty comfortable at speed and in traffic.

Looking forward to a great experience with NASA!

cool! what will you be driving for the August dates?

You bet. In my experience in the CA regions, if you have the ability to move up, just talk with your instructor and it is usually that easy. Very rarely you might encounter a situation where the HPDE3 and 4 groups are full, but it is usually 1/2 that fill up first.

You bet. In my experience in the CA regions, if you have the ability to move up, just talk with your instructor and it is usually that easy. Very rarely you might encounter a situation where the HPDE3 and 4 groups are full, but it is usually 1/2 that fill up first.

Thanks Jim. As for TRM's question about what I'll be driving ---

my 2002 Dodge Stratus R/T sedan.

I'm also hoping to get to Pocono on July 16 to have a look at the goings-on.