d_rasp

November 12th @ Brooksville - REGISTRATION OPEN!!!

KAILUAZ

I have some spectators coming also, we can put them to work on the course if needed.

Alizarin

We had a bunch of new people at the Subaru Challenge last month who got their first taste of auto-x. I'll hit up some of them and see if we can get them to show.

muddy

It is all about location. Twice as many people will show up to a lousy site that is close than at a great site that is far. As much as I love the Brooksville site, the club is better off running events at SPC.

Jamie
It is all about location.

That's why I like Brooksville so much.... Other clubs manage to pull in larger crowds at Brooksville. There are plenty people who come from further than St Pete or east Hillsbourgh County. We just need to tap into what attracts them. I think part of it is lack of knowledge we're running there, and that NASA does anything down here besides road racing and track days (maybe we should take out an ad in all the other clubs' newsletters!). And I think part of it might be the price.

muddy

I have seen the turnout change for 3 different clubs when they change sites. In my experience, what I said is true. In any club, there is a core group that will always show up, no matter the location and site quality. The rest are casual autoxers there by opportunity. The reason there are fewer participants at the Brooksville events is because many of the casual autoxers do not want to drive an hour outside of the Tampa Bay area to attend. They just don't like autox enough to make the trip. Make it easier for them to attend and they will show up.

Delta Region in New Orleans normally runs at a Naval Air Station and gets about 30-40 participants. When they run at a baseball stadium with a small parking lot 20 miles closer to the city, they get around 100 participants.

CFR-W used to get around 60 participants when running at the FL Fairgrounds, now they get between 30 and 40, and many times less, at Brooksville. The same happens for NASA between SPC and Brooksville.

If this club wants to keep attendance up and be successful, you must attract more casual autoxers. To do that, you must hold more events at a more convenient location, such as SPC. The SPC site is also very newbie-friendly, has convenient seating, and bathroom facilities, which has always been a bonus for the club.

jblaine

If you want to increase attendance, then market.

Other than http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/auto-x-road-racing/345623-nasa-brooksville-11-12-a.html and the posting here, where else has the event been mentioned? You don't believe for a second that "casual autocrossers" seek out this info, do you? They happen across it.

That said, I can tell you that the fees for NASA-X events are a roadblock, not distance. Other clubs have no significant problems with attendance at Brooksville.

I have seen numerous threads where people pointedly announce they are not going to NASA-X events because of the $40 cost (this is what casual autocrossers will be paying). Why would they go to a NASA-X event when then can run with any of 2 other groups with < 40 attendance at the same location for $25?

The "buy in long term to get per-event discounts" method is a solid detriment.

muddy

People have been paying $40 to run events at SPC and we get better turnouts than any event I have seen at Brooksville.

Native

this is excellent feedback and discussion.

keep going...

jblaine

Well, have we even determined this is truly a problem? One date, the weekend of the state championships, and 5 weeks before Christmas ($$$$), has a low count registered and we're panicking about the future of the club?

If this is a chronic thing and attendance has sucked for the last 5 events or something (detrimentally), then that's one thing.

From my perspective, I'd prefer Brooksville over SPC any day, and I live 5 minutes from SPC. But this isn't a discussion about which site the non-casual people like best.

I'll throw out another thing related to my previous post. People in the Tampa bay area are cheap and/or broke and/or lazy compared to where I spent the last 9 years (Boston). There was nowhere to autocross within 1hr of Boston. All of the events were 1-3hrs away and nobody had any problem with it, nor paying $35-$45 for a day of motorsports.

The tiny little Ford SHO club had 40-45 attendees (all makes/models allowed) without fail at $45 a pop and 1.5hr drive. Then again, they would require a mailing address or email address on the reg form, had a database of previous attendees, and would reach out to everyone via personal email or US mail with a 1-page flyer the day an event date/site was determined for the next event. NASA-X does nothing of the sort in order to give a motivational shot in the arm to the casual autocrossers.

Christ, the ICE RACES which never amounted to more than about 20-30mph were always full, half of the participants having driven 2.5-3 hours from Boston into semi-north NH.

A lot of people here cry and take it (it = MANY topics) for granted. Sure, it's a rant, but it's also reality. I've seen the pissing and moaning first-hand many times by people refusing the $40 cost.

Loren

Gonna try not to rant or get too far off on any tangents here...

The $30/$40 entry fee we chose for this season was to ensure that we would be able to afford to run events at Primus (which has since been taken off of our list)... where we're likely to not do much better than breaking even. We wanted there to be a clear difference in price for members to give people more incentive to BE members and hopefully become more involved. (anyone who's run an autocross club knows how hard it is to get people to commit to helping with anything) Has that plan worked? I'm not sure, I haven't fully analyzed it. (maybe our numbers-whiz Steve can answer that question?)

The simple truth regarding entry fees, however, is that we can't lower them by much without reducing what we offer. The big thing being lunch, which I get the feeling most of our participants enjoy. We budget $5/head for lunch... and we often spend more than that.

With Primus being off the map, we don't need to make as much money at our "regular" events, so perhaps next season we may be able to lower entry fees a touch. But... I don't expect it will be more than $5. Is $5 keeping anyone from coming to an autocross? Only in their head.

Funny, the first time I experienced this type of discussion was about 10 years ago with an SCCA club. They'd been charging $10 entry fees since the dawn of time. (or at least the mid 80's... same difference) A lot of the "old timers" wanted to be sure we kept autocrossing affordable to get people hooked and feed their racing program in the future. The rest of us agreed that the price we pay for entry fees is minimal compared to what most of us pay for tires, fuel, vehicle upgrades, etc, etc. The bottom line is that autocross isn't cheap. It takes some money to do it. $5-10 one way or another on an entry fee might make people grumble, but it isn't enough to keep anyone from playing.

We need to find a way to make SPC events work for us. With the rate they're charging us now, that has become more difficult. Steve and Dan are working hard on next year's budget to make it all happen.

I also agree the more/better promotion would help. (though Brooksville isn't likely to see more than 40-50 drivers at most events)

KAILUAZ

Rob E (Blacksheep-1) posted over at Tampabay Mustangs for the Sep event, thats where I found out about the club.

I have posted info for this month there, the local Marauder forum and the regional Crown Vic site.

I'm just happy to have found local events, even if its just for fun. I have no problem making the drive to Brooksville, but I can see how some do.

Maybe someone could do up a "flyer" and do a mass e-mail, that way it would be easy to pass on the info.

Loren

We have more than a flyer, we have a complete website that is almost always kept current.

http://www.nasaxflorida.com

You can email that to anybody, everything a newb needs to know is there!

Edited by Guest

muddy
Well, have we even determined this is truly a problem? One date, the weekend of the state championships, and 5 weeks before Christmas ($$$$), has a low count registered and we're panicking about the future of the club?

I am just pointing out that the club won't do well if we continue to hold a majority of our events at Brooksville. It wasn't all that long ago when we had 60+ participants show up to events. That will most likely never happen at Brooksville.

How many NASA regulars go to SCCA events or will be going to the State Championships? Not many. I don't think the State Championships or the upcoming holidays are hurting attendance.

The best turnout we have had at Brooksville is 41. The best turnout at SPC this year was 55. That is a difference of at least $420 of revenue for one event. I don't know the difference in cost renting one site or the other.

Jamie
I'll throw out another thing related to my previous post. There was nowhere to autocross within 1hr of Boston. All of the events were 1-3hrs away

Sheesh...another reason to resist moving to New England....

I also agree the more/better promotion would help.

It took a few months of reminding people, but we're finally getting mentioned on the monthly central Florida autocross thread on Miata.Net. That may help -- I know SCCA events at Brooksville pull several people over from the Orlando area, so maybe we can tap into that.

Native

Awesome!

Yeah, I think, too, that part of the problem is the money. We're charging 5-10, even 15 dollars more than other clubs. While it's not a lot of money, i'm cheap, and i'd pick the best deal, too. Drive to B'ville for NASA for 30/40, or for, say, the BMW guys at 25. It's a no-brainer.

Cutting entry fees may help. There's too much competetion. At least at B'ville.

Scheduling our events on weekends with no other, or fewer, choices may help, too.

Marketing is the other deal. Getting peoples' emails and sending "reminders" is a great idea. We shoud do that.

Lunch. I've never been shy about admitting inexperience. I went to the BMW event in Oct. (we didn't have one) which is the first time I've run with any other club (I'm loyal). Lunch was several loaves of bread, PB and J, and packages of lunch meat, cheese and several bags of chips. I doubt they spent $30 on lunch for about 50 people. We ought take a hard look at that, instead of the usual pizza, which is tasty, but comparatively a fortune.

Further, their event ran as smooth as any of ours, and everyone got 8 50-odd second runs (except Muddy). and they had a novice training that day, too.

If we wanna compete, we've got to do so price-wise, advertise, and set ourselves apart. Lower fees and Email solves the first part, but "how" to the second?

KAILUAZ
We have more than a flyer, we have a complete website that is almost always kept current.

http://www.nasaxflorida.com

You can email that to anybody, everything a newb needs to know is there!

Good point, didnt look at it that way. I'll post the link at work.

Native
Good point, didnt look at it that way. I'll post the link at work.

and

have posted info for this month there, the local Marauder forum and the regional Crown Vic site.

Thanks, man. If everyone tells someone, or posts somewhere, we'd have more entries than we could deal with.

Charles

All of this is still up in the air, down to 8 days... Bill are you out there?

Early course setup? 2-3 bodies would be great

Trailer Delivery? Bill? If you are available can you deliver late Sat night?

Tech ? 2 guys

Registration worked good at the gate last time anyone volunteer for that?

Dan check ur PM's....

AScoda

Charles, I'll be there early enough to help with course setup or tech.

kenjen

I'm all registered.

I'll help with tech and/or setup.

Charles

Thanks guys!

Think you can make our pizza run Kenny ? should be a light one.

blacksheep-1

I'm an instructor at SPC, maybe I should go see (And I've done this half heartedly before) if and how we can reduce the entry fee there, because frankly, I am somewhat lazy and it was nice to be able to race in my back yard (RIP Sunshine Speedway). The other option is to start scrounging for a club sponsor, which. since most budgest actually start on October 1, we need to get started.

Alizarin
Thanks guys!

Think you can make our pizza run Kenny ? should be a light one.

Yeah I think I can handle it.

Native

Rob, if you can finagle us a break as SPC, that would be, needless to say, absofrigginlutely awesome.

As for sponsors, we've got a big ol' white trailer with nothing printed on it, anymore. it's a rolling billboard - not to mention the website, etc.

anyone have any leads?

Jamie
The other option is to start scrounging for a club sponsor....

What we need is a sponsor to supply cheap lunch. Anyone know of a deli looking to advertise?