HOW MANY 944 SPEC CARS ARE OUT THERE?

Tim Comeau

I know we can look at the driver/car number list, but that's only half the story.

Ryan Flaherty is wondering where these cars that we keep telling him exist actually are......He knows about the regulars already.

Why aren't new guys in these new cars showing up at events?

Car not ready?

Driver not ready? No race license? You can still enter HPDE and have fun.

I'd like to start a roll call of every 944 spec car that is being built or is being driven/raced. We NEED to show NASA National officials that there are guys building new cars out there. I'm serious guys. If some new guys don't start showing up at events, we're showing poor growth. You and I know we're working hard to grow the class, it just isn't showing yet.

PLEASE KEEP THE BULL$HIT OFF THIS THREAD!

Just tell us where you're at in completing your 944 spec car and getting yourself to a NASA event in the 944 spec class.

Just state your name, city, year and color of car, and an accurate status of your 944 spec car and your racing license.

Like this:

1. Sean Steele, La Mesa, 84, orange, no license yet, car complete, but tranny main seal leaking badly.

2. Rob Hass, Fallbrook, 83, white, no license yet, car complete but getting car street legal now because of no trailer, no truck. (ex-Anderson # 69 car).

3. Russ McKee, Coronado, 84, white, No license, car complete and for sale! (ex-Marguglio car).

If you need something to help get your car finished and on the track, TELL US! We want to help get you in "THE SHOW" and having fun.

There are so many partially completed cars out there it isn't funny. We need to SHOW that you exist and that you'll be out there soon.

These are all SoCal guys (and one girl) who have cars being built right now, have cars finished, or are earning a racing license.

Chuck Sharp (ex-Benbow car).

Neal Wright

John Rickard

Rich Bessette

Brian Harnish

John Kinkaid

Jackie Corwin

Doug Briggs

Cory Muscat

Carl Vanderschuit

Steve Stepanian

Steve McConnell

This list doesn't include the POC newbies like:

David Hirsch

Don Neville

John Momeyer

Mervin ?

Taylor Price

Bill and Tony ?

Tunnicliffe?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Comeau

• 944-Spec#94

• hhdinyuma

• Chuck T.

Just state your name, city, year and color of car, and an accurate status of your 944 spec car and your racing license.

Chris Barrington

Anaheim, CA (SoCal)

1988 924S, gray

Schedule of build: Dec - rod bearings/suspension, Feb - safety equipment

Currently in HPDE 2

Cory Muscat

Poway CA

85.5 Blue

NASA provisional, POC TT & STS, PCA

Car recently completed

Went to first event with the car last month (POC TT). I plan on attending future events w/ NASA, POC, and PCA. Based on the lap times from this event I have some work to do (driver and car) to match the pace of the front-runners.

Schwank, Portland Oregon, 87 guards 944, Full refresh complete except for spec suspension. No cage yet but fully stripped interior.

No license (prior HPDE experience), will be completing driver's school with ICSCC in the springtime, allowing for provisional license application by late spring. ICSCC requires 3 novice races before granting a full license. As ICSCC runs under SCCA rules I would end up having to run in ITS locally and would likely not be competitive in spec trim, but I don't want to go any further. I'll find out this weekend as I am attending their 8 hour enduro to watch a couple local 944s, and I have inside access to view setups etc.

I wish they would pick up a mirror like PCA.... they already have spec Miata. Anyway, I have limited options in the PNW and love the idea of a cheap 944.

[/bS]

Edited by Guest

Jim Bryant, St. Paul, MN, 88 red/white 924s, rebuilt engine, stripped interior, currently building roll cage PCA racing license & SCCA national license before that. Car will be ready for Sebring

1. Chuck Taylor, Denver, Colorado, grey 1988 944 #67 944-Spec ran 2006 in NASARM. completed all events with only minor problems.

2. red 1988 944 needs safety stuff. I might have a buyer and a build party for this car.

3. Black 1988 924S Just got it and if I sell my grey car I will have this car done for next year.

4. White 1988 924S I got this car last month I'm trying to sell it local and have the buyer come over to my house so we can have a build it party.

I'm in the market for a 3rd 924S then I will have 5 cars for all NASARM events! or If someone outside NASARM buys one of my cars I will get more !

Chuck Taylor

944-Spec regional director NASARM

#67 944-spec

Eric Kuhns. Western Illinois. Red 924S, stripped, running in NASA HPDE 4 tomorrow at RA. Just found out my rebuilt motor is illegal d/t oversized pistons, looking to sell that car, and considering one of Chuck's (SVOChuck) built 944's to replace it. Planning on comp school next season.

Edit - chuck just snuck a post in above mine - I'minterested in the grey car.

Stephen McConnell

Arroyo Grande, CA

Black

98% sorted and for sale.

No license.

Ron Dale, Marysville,Ca, black '86, expired SCCA regional license. Cage is in, dash is back in, seat is in, needs seatbelts, nets, battery cut off switch and a few little things. Will be in the shop by november for rod bearings and all other mechanicals, should be on track by mid December.

• Members

Steven Stepanian

La Verne, CA

Selling my Concourse 1990 944S2 w/34K miles so I can buy a 944spec car!

Currently doing HDPE's and waiting for driving concepts next class in hopes of getting my provisional NASA lic.

Can't wait to join you guys!

Chuck Porter, Minneapolis MN, 83 944, red, car is complete and raced in 2006 as SP1 car, current PCA racing license.

Chris Dvorak, Minneapolis MN, 85 944 Gulf blue & orange, car is complete and race ready with the exception of a fiberglass bumper which needs to be replaced with the OEM bumper, current PCA racing license.

Submitted by Jim Bryant in St. Paul because the above drivers are not on this forum.

Phil Mullen, Chandler, Az., light gray 1988 924S, race ready,probably the original spec944 race car since 1/99, licensed for SCCA national, Pro Auto Sport & recently, NASA.

Todd Imwold

Small Lake City, Utah

83 944 known as the red rat

PCA license with 3 races completed

have no idea how complete the car truly is but hell she is log booked for both PCA and NASA

will get a NASA license prior to the miller race 2007

Nice!

If there's anyone else you know of who's prepping a car to our 944 spec rules, let's get them on here. Some of these guys are finding out on this forum that there's another car being built very close to them, so they'll have somebody to race with.

How cool is that?

The seeds were planted all last year.

Let's keep building this class.

Tim

Bill Kirkham and I have just purchased a salvage '86 944 (engine fire) for him. We hope to have it running in a few months and converted to spec by the fall of next year. He has a competition license (races vintage formula fords) so will be racing as soon as the car is ready. We have cage material (boy is alloy hard to get!) and seat but need to purchase suspension upgrades.

Dave Hauk in Phoenix purchased a yellow 944 Number 08 a few months back and is currently running it in DE in NASA and other orgs working his way up the ladder. Plans to race as soon as the driver is ready. Car is race ready and ran in in 2005 Az PCA club race with the previous owner.

Frank L.

1984 944 white mostly done

Suspension all done other than front sway bars. Autopower roll cage LSD 2.5 inch exhaust

Still need license and tidbits on the car but expecting first baby so things are coming slow

Jim Marks

1986 944 SPEC CAR

Flat-out Enterprises #0001

1/3 done, complete in 60 days...

Sold to a POC member, who will also run some NASA events...