HOW MANY 944 SPEC CARS ARE OUT THERE?

Tim Comeau

Very cool to see so many cars being built across the country! Let's get them to the track and SHOW the class to others wanting CHEAP, EQUAL, Racing Porsches.

It's extremely rewarding for me personally to see that so many others have jumped onboard with this great class. I'm getting all misty now......

Let's keep building it!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Comeau

• 944-Spec#94

• hhdinyuma

• DavidH

MantisSport has started striping their second car. It's an early car and is also white like the first one. It will be decaled the same as the first car, which is number 21 with red decals, but the decals' Red and Blue will be reversed.

This week we started on another car, 944 -1988 red, this one is a customer owned car. #3 in canada. Mantisport is having a 944 spec 1 open house Jan 13 07. Upper Canada Region PCA members have been invited. 944 engine running on our dyno, 944 on the alignment rack and scales. Hopefully for Sebring Club Race, we should have 2-3 944s entered in Spec-1.

Tim are you counting ? how many is that ?

Rocky Mountian region.

My 1988 grey 944 done in use.

my 1988 red 944 should be ready for next year.

my 1988 black 924S should be ready for next year. I will drive it.

my 1988 white 924S trying to sell for a 944-spec or i will build it.

Todd "red rat" done in use.

Geoff 924S in build.

3 more cars/drivers on the fence all near denver (they have the car)

and I guess 2 others + chris venturini looking to buy a car .

Edited by Guest

chuck, a few more months + christmas commission + tax return + selling my current car = another 944 spec noob on the track endangering everyones lives with his vast mario kart skills (me)

I'm planning to pick up a car around January and battle Chris for last place next season...

chuck, a few more months + christmas commission + tax return + selling my current car = another 944 spec noob on the track endangering everyones lives with his vast mario kart skills (me)

You probably shouldn't mention that part until after you get them to give you a comp license.

This week we started on another car, 944 -1988 red, this one is a customer owned car. #3 in canada. Mantisport is having a 944 spec 1 open house Jan 13 07. Upper Canada Region PCA members have been invited. 944 engine running on our dyno, 944 on the alignment rack and scales. Hopefully for Sebring Club Race, we should have 2-3 944s entered in Spec-1.

Ernie,

This is GREAT!

PS... Is the Cayman going back together? Heard about the incident at Daytona. Glad you are ok.

Hey gang I am working on a new all inclusive list of the cars and drivers.

I had one based on this thread from about 2 weeks ago, but it just keeps on growing.

I think I will add things and update the driver listing to show all the drivers. This time by region so we can see who is racing in our area.

Chuck... great work over there in Colorado. Looks like by the thaw you will have some great fields!

It's a bunch, Chuck!

I'd have to count them again. The important thing about this thread is to let everybody know that this class is growing fast, even though it doesn't show right now.

Again, let's try to contact and gather up the 944 racers/drivers in your respective areas.

Please post what city you're in.

I will provide futher breakdown, but my list has 116 944's on it.

This includes some folks Racing, doing DE, building and even a few that I have no current status on.

Here is breakdown by region with the largest broken out by activity level.

Az = 39 Total

Active Racers = 25 (NASA, SCCA, PCA, etc)

Active DE = 5

Active Builders = 2

Inactive complete cars = 7

So-Cal = 45 Total

Active Racers = 11 (NASA, POC, PCA)

Active DE = 7

Active Builders = 9

Inactive = 4

Unknown = 14 - Tim I will give you a list and I am sure we can sort a few out

Nor-Cal = 6 Total

Canada (Toronto) = 6 Total

Rocky Mtn = 5 Total

Midwest = 5 Total

NewYork = 3 Total

Indana/Ohih = 3 total

Mid Atlantic = 2 Total

Texas = 1 Total

I've just taken orders/deposits for CRE #003 and CRE #004.

Gunther Enz from Encinitas, CA will get the first, which is a white 86 944.

Billy Newport from Minnesota will get the second, which is a red 88 924S.

So that's 2 more!

There's also Robert and Raffi from another thread named, "2 more new guys."

So, that's 2 more still.............

Hope there are enough chassis' to go around!

Keep 'em coming!

Add one more car from the Toronto, Canada area. We are planning to run SP1 at selected PCA events, but just starting to stip the car now and then decide how much we want to tackle ourselves or let a professional race shop like Mantis take it from there. After seeing their SP1, we can see now what really is involved in building a first class car. Problem is my teamate & I are experienced racers & you get really spoiled when it comes to build quality. We'll decide early in the new year.

Cheers, Max Schoemer

Max,

It's more important to get the car on the track and start getting seat time, than it is to paint the interior and other foo-foo stuff like that. I'd do the reliability stuff, the suspension and safety gear, then start driving it. You can always pay to have it spruced up over the winter months later.

"It's more important to get the car on the track and start getting seat time, than it is to paint the interior and other foo-foo stuff like that."

Ouch, that hurts. I was going to post a picture of my newly painted car, interior and all, until I read that.

Where's the love for the fresh paint I just showed you today? Foo foo is what you really think of a nicely prepared car?

Guess I better not bring my poodle Fi Fi with her red sweater to the track.

I think I'm gonna cry.

Just playing. Ugly cars are good too.

lol, well, i know im trying to get my car built and it shure aint pretty ill tell you that much. different colored body panels, lots of adheasives left in the car, some of the remnants of tar mats... esch... i am here to say though that even though i cant get one car built just yet, im slowly putting away money to repair a second 87 924 thats had some, er, accident damage to the fenders... and hood... and roof... well anyway. so thats 2 cars that i plan to one day have in spec. unless of course its too much for one guy to have to cars in one class... then ill just drop a 951 motor in one of them.

Come on, Neal. I'm being misunderstood. But, I think we'll start calling your car, "The Poodle car." Or maybe, "Fi-fi?"

Your fresh paint looked great the other day. I just wouldn't want a new driver in the class to put off getting some track time because they're waiting to make sure the car looks perfect.

Know what I mean, Vern?

I'm really glad you could bring the Poodle out for our local DE last Friday! Sorry about the oil pressure probs, but it'll get worked out and local DE's are perfect for shakedowns. Let me know if I can help you with those stock parts. I'll give you the stock front bumper shocks AND an early, unmodified fuel rail for FREE.

Only thing ugly 'bout my car is that I'm NOT driving it (aaaaagh)... Currently trying to get my DD (second car) back on the road with a engine + trans swap.

fugly...

pcar1_oakland.jpg

daily d..

pcar2_warehouse.jpg

Hal Dunn, Yuma, AZ, 1983, Silver (for now), 90% Complete, hoping to have it ready for HPDE's starting at PIR in December, No license yet so running HPDE3 to get car sorted. Car formerly owned by Jason Wilberding.

• 2 weeks later...

This list is great but I am losing track of all the projects. Many are missing information, e.g., some of the entries don't list where they are from.

Joe P, can we start a new list of cars in development to list car, owner with some contact info and level of experience? Apparently many of these projects are not far enough along to want car numbers so they haven't applied to the race drivers list.

Hi Steve,

Getting more info on the drivers/cars in progress would be great and I can add additional fields to track it.

driverlevel -> race license, hpde4, hpde3, hpde2, hpde1

carpreplevel -> race ready, in progress

We like to help all drivers in progress to eventually get their racing license and their cars with the safety requirements to race.

In the short term I set the default driver listing to not list cars in progress (actually just cars with the number 999 because that's the only search criteria I have now) and have a checkbox in the Driver Search form to include/exclude them.

Steve,

Slightly off topic... but, How does one go about applying to the rivers list and get/reserve a number. My car is essentially done and has been on the track in DE. I only need the necessary experience and comp school to be ready.