Anyone running a Cobra R?

robbodleimages

Is anyone running a 95 Cobra R in AI and if so, how competitive is the car?

How modified is it?

Is AI too risky to be racing an authentic R?

thanx

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• trackboss

• D Algozine

• Ernesto Roco

Brian Groth raced his real 95 Cobra R in AI this weekend at Road America. Dave Diehl also has an ex-Multimatic Motorola Cup Cobra R, but I think it's a BIW, not a genuine R.

I am going to try and experience a lot different things this coming season.

I won't be running for any championships. I just want see what is out there and experience it and see where I and the R best fit in.

I've been invited to run some AI and been invited to run some AV8SS.

The car is also SVRA eligible.

How does a fairly stock 351 Cobra R keep up in AI? Last time it was dyno'd it showed 330hp at the rear wheels.

I am going to try and experience a lot different things this coming season.

I won't be running for any championships. I just want see what is out there and experience it and see where I and the R best fit in.

I've been invited to run some AI and been invited to run some AV8SS.

The car is also SVRA eligible.

How does a fairly stock 351 Cobra R keep up in AI? Last time it was dyno'd it showed 330hp at the rear wheels.

A stock or near stock 95R is not going to win a championship in a competitive region. As much as we love the R, it's just to heavy. To do what a R needs in order to make it competitive, you should just start with a regular Mustang.

Can you go out and have fun with in AI with a 95R, heck yes. Like Matt mentioned above, I ran my R last weekend when my race car broke during qualifying on Saturday.

Feel free to contact me if you want to chat more about it.

Brian

Like Matt mentioned above, I ran my R last weekend when my race car broke during qualifying on Saturday.

Brian

Man.... you and Kevin Rogers are two peas in a pod.

When the "race car" exploded a clutch at LaJunta, Kevin jumped in the Cobra R and ran it as an AIX car.

Come on guys, I clicked on this thread expecting to see some cool pictures or something...!!! All this geeking out on Fords and no pictures?

Here is my beast - not a true VIN'ed "R" but campaigned as one back in the day......88154692-S.jpg

Here is a photo of Brian's "R"......

87965910-S.jpg

I have been told I have quite the collector's item....but I personnally can't stand putting a car on a pedistal or locking it up in a garage for years.....they were meant to be driven, raced.....

It's all up to you if you want to run the risks....in the grand scheme of things everything is just a big pile of metal and plastic....

I don't see what is so special about the R. Ford didn't do much of anything other than a bigger motor and wheels. In it's day the R would still get destroyed by a camaro and it didn't carry any special fender badges.

I am pretty new to the R. However, any car that is built as a street stock race car is a little different. As for the 351...I don't think thats an "all they did was". "all they did was" should be saved for striping packages and such.

When you bring a car to market in numbers like 250 and they come with an engine available in nothing else, then that is a big deal. BOss 302 was similar. Low production numbers. Racing engine, suspension twists, body tweak not available on the regular Mustang. R had the Engine, Hood, Wheels, weight reduction, for starters. If you are not impressed, there are more than enough others that are. We don't need everyone in the fan club.

Bajabackyard023.jpg

OfficialPhotos008.jpg

good points, but performance per dollar these "special" cars were a rip off. Especially the later bodied versions. Start with a shell and build a real race car. I do understand that there are plenty of collectors out there that like this sort of stuff, but as has been mentioned before use them as they should be if you want value out of them. Holding the floor down and telling everyone its such a great race car really does nothing. Unfortunatley these over priced cars still take just as much work as a regular mustang to make them fast.

Boss 302 was a rip off?

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I'd say so... "You paid HOW MUCH for a MUSTANG when you could've got a FIREBIRD?!?"

Not boss 302. I am referring to the '95 and the later '00. I would consider the current Z06 more of an "R" type car. It's performance is well upgraded over the standard corvette. Super car class in my opinion for a whole lot less. The two most recent "R" mustangs are far from that. I don't want to start an argument here as it really doesn't matter. Just stating my opinion and how enthusiasts are so fooled by limited production vehicles that really are not all that special. Put some race history behind them and then they may be worth something.

I think when you come to a thread from an R owner who wants to race and start up with how the car is a "rip off", I am not sure how you could possibly not want to start an argument.

It may not be true, but since you have suggested how much better Firebirds and Corvettes are than Mustangs, You indicate this is a Ford v GM thing. My only thought has a read your bragging on those cars was "what ever happened to the Firebird?"

"R"etarded? It's still just a Ford. There is a lot better hardware out there for the money. Yes, I know, I race a Ford. I race it because parts are cheap & available.

As far as my opinion on racing an "R". It is being done. Most of them are way too heavy (oink, oink, Brian G & Fred F ). Don't put anything on the track you can't afford to loose. Shi* happens, no matter how careful you are.

I think when you come to a thread from an R owner who wants to race and start up with how the car is a "rip off", I am not sure how you could possibly not want to start an argument.

It may not be true, but since you have suggested how much better Firebirds and Corvettes are than Mustangs, You indicate this is a Ford v GM thing. My only thought has a read your bragging on those cars was "what ever happened to the Firebird?"

Can't we all just get along?

(humming in the back ground) " Let's just agree to disagree, and learn to help one another. What happend to the days of letting bygones be bygones? Is it all over? ..... No, it's not over, nothings over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pear Harbor? .....The Germans didn't bomb Pear Harbor....Leave him alone he's on a roll.

But I digress. That whole GM vs. Ford thing, cracks me up.

I say race it, if you can live with it getting banged up. If not, don't. Because, eventually, it's going to get banged up. Either by you, or someone else.

Honestly, I kid. My comment was made in fun and racing anything is better then not doing it at all. Even Mustang racers rank higher in my book then the Corvette guys who sit home and Zaino the car every other day

Race it if you can afford to write it off. Sh*t happens.