Manual Steering Racks

PeanutinCA

Hey guys,

would an early model manual steering rack fit onto a late model (88) car? I'm interested in the weight savings, one less thing filled with fluid and one less power operated item to go south. Plus I remember Jeff saying it gave better feedback?

Cheers,

Dylan.

p.s. Timmy, who was helping us out with used parts? Auto something, guess I could do a search.

Not directly.

The offset of the 87 and 88 cars was changed. In these cars the tie rods are longer. So an early manual rack will not directly fit. The tie rods can be changed, but I am not certain early manual and late power rods are interchangable. I think one has male and the other has female attachements on the rack end not the hub ends.

Anyway, I have heard that there are racks from the 944 Turbo Cup cars that a late offset manual racks. I would think these are expensive and rare. You could sway to early offset front suspension parts. This would be hub/spindle sets and control arms. It would a simple part swap once you got the right parts.

Problem would then be early offset front and late offset rear. This would require different wheels. I know we are working on track requirement wording for the rules that would spacers to use late wheels on early suspension.

Even so this is alot of work for not that much gain. I ran an unpowered power rack for a while and it was fine. I swapped to a manual when I had the chance and do like it better. Mostly since it much easier at paddock speeds to drive. Slightly better on the track, but really not worth the hassle of late vs early offset. Just ditch the pump and keep fluid in the rack and use the power one.

The offset of the 87 and 88 cars was changed. In these cars the tie rods are longer. So an early manual rack will not directly fit. The tie rods can be changed, but I am not certain early manual and late power rods are interchangable. I think one has male and the other has female attachements on the rack end not the hub ends.

I thought I read somewhere about just changing over the tie rods but, yuor questions raise doubts now?

Just ditch the pump and keep fluid in the rack and use the power one.

Is this really a viable option? I know Jason would be interested in ditching his pump due to leaks so, maybe that's the answer?

Thanks,

Dylan.

Just ditch the pump and keep fluid in the rack and use the power one.

Is this really a viable option? I know Jason would be interested in ditching his pump due to leaks so, maybe that's the answer?

Thanks,

Dylan.

Yes it is. I ran this way for a year and 1/2. I only changed to manual we the parts came to hand and I had the engine out of the car.

We do this in the SE-R Cup cars all the time. Just take out the pump and resevoir, crank all the fluid out of the rack and cap it off. In our cars, the manual rack has a slower ratio to make it easier to turn, so most prefer the faster, capped power rack.

I wonder if the ratio for your manual and power rack is the same?

Good to know, thanks guys. So, question then. Why change over to the manual rack? Do things wear out eventually? And, you don't cap it off with fluid in the rack (if this is possible), you drain and then cap. OK.

Cheers,

Dylan.

Dylan, Call AUTOBAHNPARTS.COM at 619.444.2290. Talk to Sean and identify yourself as a 944-spec racer.

I don't know about the steering systems yet, but I've kept the power steering. I just tightened up all the fittings and stopped the leaks where I had them.

Dylan,

I changed because I could get the parts easy. Since my engine was out it was easy to make the change. This meant I did not have to deal with fluid and lines even without the pump. Also liked not cranking the wheel in paddock. Really it just a little thing or personal preference. I like manual and will keep it. If I were in your shoes I'd just dump the pump and keep fluid in it. I would not waste anymore time on it as it is not worth it.

Dylan, per our conversation, first try running the power rack sans the pump and hoses. Mine's full of grease and the hoses are capped. You've got nothing to lose.

You gotta love this info sharing................In a couple more months, a newer driver will be asking Dylan for HIS experience. Keep it rolling.

In a couple more months, a newer driver will be asking Dylan for HIS experience. Keep it rolling.

But I don't think new drivers want to know that I have "experienced" you in a pink tutu shakin' your booty to the sounds of Britney Spears singing "oops Timmy did it again". Tim's victory dance of choice. I intend to break that dance pattern this year.