Championships Qualifications for 2007?

Jeff F

Wondering what the plans were for 2007. Will it be the same as 2006 (5 points races) or will it be based on position in region, or ???

• 1 month later...

I'm also wondering. If the requirements aren't set yet - could we get a general idea of when they will be?

Reason I'm asking - schedules are starting to come out for the different regions, I'd like to start planning which events I'll be attending, and it would be helpful to know what the requirements for Nationals will be.

IE - Just do 5 events regardless of finishing position and/or region, or qualify top couple of spots in a region - could impact which events I need to do.

- Mark

• National Staff

It will be very similar to '06 (not based on finishing positions), but the final details are being worked out. I'm sure Bryan will post them when all is official.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? I'm interested in going this year, but it depends on how many qualifying events it'll take...as well as how many points may be needed...

TIA

• National Staff

TT Rules Section 15--All TT'ers please read all of the TT Rules. Brian will post the rules for racers, but I would expect them to be similar:

The NASA Championships will be held yearly, in September, at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car course. TT competition will be included in the event. The winners of each TT class at this event will be declared the NASA TT National Champion for that year. In order to be eligible to compete in the NASA Championships a TT competitor must score points in five regional TT events, in any region, in any TT class, on at least four (4) different event days, prior to the registration deadline for the Championships. Drivers planning on competing in the higher level classes (TTA, TTS, TTU, and TTR) must have regional experience driving in those classes, in vehicles of similar performance characteristics to the vehicle they plan to compete with at the Championships. For example, a driver that usually drives a TTD car will not be permitted to drive a TTR sports racer without showing evidence of prior experience in such a vehicle.

Drivers are permitted to participate as a team under the following circumstances. The team must have been legally declared (7.7), and score points in five regional TT events (as above for individuals). However, the team must limit itself to only two drivers at the Championships, and each of those drivers must have personally driven in at least one session in each of the five events used for eligibility. Either driver may drive in any or all of the competition sessions at the

Championships under the team name.

Drivers desiring to obtain eligibility to compete individually at the Championships and use point scoring events where they drove as part of a team in regional TT events will need to obtain a waiver from the National TT Director (in consultation with the National Competition Manager).

Each driver may compete in a maximum of two TT classes (whether individually or as part of a team). If using a single vehicle, the classes must run in separate run groups. This may only be possible for a few vehicles to accomplish depending on the final published schedule of class and run group separation. If using multiple vehicles, each one must have its own transponder.

Car numbers will be assigned based on a first registered, first served basis for number choice.

Thanks Greg.

I need a little clarification on:

"In order to be eligible to compete in the NASA Championships a TT competitor must score points in five regional TT events, in any region, in any TT class, on at least four (4) different event days, prior to the registration deadline for the Championships"

I'm assuming that an "event" is a race (not a weekend). If I ran in 2 classes per during the race weekend, with 2 races per day (one for each class), would that mean I could qualify in 2 weekends (8 races in 4 days)? Or is this trying to say that you must spread it out over 4 race weekends?

Thanks again!

• National Staff
Thanks Greg.

I need a little clarification on:

"In order to be eligible to compete in the NASA Championships a TT competitor must score points in five regional TT events, in any region, in any TT class, on at least four (4) different event days, prior to the registration deadline for the Championships"

I'm assuming that an "event" is a race (not a weekend). If I ran in 2 classes per during the race weekend, with 2 races per day (one for each class), would that mean I could qualify in 2 weekends (8 races in 4 days)? Or is this trying to say that you must spread it out over 4 race weekends?

Thanks again!

Yes, an event is a race. So, unless Bryan changes something for the racers, you should be able to double up on classes one day, and complete your five points events in two weekends. I do believe that TT events may not count for racers this year, just as races don't count for TT drivers. But, I think that is one issue not completely decided yet. So, a racer might have to double up with two races instead of a race and a TT group for that one day. (For example, run SM and SU on the same day).

Thanks again. My race weekend schedule is rather tight this year so I need to maximize each one. I may be running SM and an MX-5 in PT to help get the MX-5 car count up so we can have our own group in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

there has been a few guys asking if any NASA race weekends run after the National event in '06 count towards the required number of events in order to qualify for Nationals '07. for example: I ran 1 race weekend in Oct '06 (4 individual points races). so do I have 4 of the 5 required races needed to qualify for Nationals, or do the required number of events have to be ran in the same calendar year as the National event?

do we have a definitive answer on this?

• National Staff

Glenn, until Bryan decides and makes an official announcement, or publishes the '07 Championship Rules, there is no Official response regarding the racers. The TT drivers are required to complete their events during the '07 season.

My personal opinion is that the racers should have to complete their events during the '07 season as well. First, I think it would be ridiculous to possibly have drivers qualify for the '07 NASA Championships that never even spent a minute in a NASA race in '07. Second, both the CCR's and class rules change based on the calendar year ("off season"), and I think that racers should be racing under the current rules to qualify. This will decrease the chances of having "inadvertantly" non-compliant cars out there, since they will likely have been scrutinized during the season, and "grey areas" dealt with. Also, while there usually aren't big changes in the CCR's, there are usually a few. And some of these include things like racing to yellow flags, etc. It's nice to know that all of the drivers on the track with me at the Championships have at least raced a handful of races with NASA, and are "functionally" aware of the current rules. Lastly, it is logistically much easier to verify that a driver has completed the requirements for the Championships if the events are in the same year as the Championship event.

Thanks Greg. i too know what the answer should and likely will be, but as a Co-Director of the Texas Region for AI/CMC, i feel its better to say "i'll find out." and go off somewhere and ask these questions to get an official answer than to shoot from the hip. i have been asked by more than one TX racer who who needs to know the answer to this. w/ the 2007 season starting for us in 2 weeks (Feb 3/4) we should have an answer to this at least by the start of the 2007 season.

I doubt it would be physically possible to qualify for 2007 Nationals using post-Nationals 2006 races anyway, but hey I've been wrong before

whats the point of doing post 2006 Nationals competition then?

i'll clarify. i'm not thinking we could completely qualify for 07 w/ 06 races, but possibly put those races towards it some how. i would totally understand if the National event was run after all regional events were run. but thats not the case here.

• National Staff
I doubt it would be physically possible to qualify for 2007 Nationals using post-Nationals 2006 races anyway, but hey I've been wrong before

Depending on what part of the country you are in, if permitted, it would be easy to do 5 races after September during the remaining part of the season. I think that I did 6 and wasn't trying to qualify for anything.

The point of racing after the Championships in September is the same as it was before we ever had the Championships--compete for Regional Championships and/or racing because its fun. I really don't see why a racer that want's to race in the NASA Championships can't manage to come out for at least two weekends between January and September and qualify? The first NASA race of '07 was on January 6th in Arizona. Every region has plenty of events scheduled for drivers to qualify, and they can always go to another region to qualify if those dates don't fit their schedule. I think there are available privately owned "arrive and drive" programs in most of the regions that I've visited.

• 5 weeks later...

Because racing cars is fun?

C.

Some regional championships are still up for grabs.

• 2 months later...
Some regional championships are still up for grabs.

There you go. The number one reason why you would compete after the national finals.

Thank Jim.

Here is the short and sweet version:

5 races

You may count 2 TT races maximum toward racing at Nats.

Racers may not run TT if they haven't run TT during 2007.

The goal is to allow for ease of qualification while closing a dew loopholes. Example: We had one driver who ran his first race at Nationals. He met the 5 race rule in TT, applied for his Comp License and raced at Nats.

We've closed this loop hole by allowing only 2 TT events to count.

BTW, said driver did fine, there were no issues. We simply feel there needed to be some kind of experience requirement.

More to follow in the Event Regs when Registration opens. Yes, it will soon!

Just to clarify part of the above, I assume that means racers can't enter TT at the Nationals if they have not competed in a prior TT event at the regional level that year?

TT is just a little different from the race, but nothing you couldn't pick up by doing one day of it