ClemsonMotorWerks

RA Repaved??

ClemsonMotorWerks

I've heard rumors about the Jan PCA DE being cancled so they can repave the track to create more run off room in T12

anyone else heard about this, or know what the new layout might look like?

farmboy

I had heard the AMA had demanded this change be made or they will stop attending Road Atlanta.

It is my understanding from a biker friend that these changes were required because this turn is too dangerious. As well there are some additional areas that are unstable due to ruff road surfaces. I do not know which areas these are.

dmwhite

i've read it on a couple of different forums today...

i hope they don't screw up T12...more run-off is fine but hopefully they wont change the actuall turn...

Z06RACER

where the hell are they gonna put more runoff???? there is a retaining wall holding up pit road and the tower 20' from the edge of the track.

sounds like bullsh*t to me.

Red Tornado

I agree. Any change would involve massive work.

That is a real high speed turn so I think adding safe runoff would mean adding like several hunder feet in to the pits at least.

I cant see that happening.

kbrew8991

I would love to see a repave there, especially T7

ClemsonMotorWerks

remember ken

repaving T7 wont cover up that 5th skid

thats why we have tide

davidfarmer

while it doesn't sound very practical, you must remember that the Pro pit lane is on the other side of the track, and they could ditch the club pit lane IF they wanted to.

I don't think they would, as many support series use this even on pro weekends, but it is possible.

Maybe they should just put in ANOTHER chicane, between 10b and 12, under the bridge !

trackaddict

Apparently this rumor is actually true... RA is being repaved and some walls moved further back like in turn 5. I don't think anything will happen in turn 12. I heard that the cost of repaving alone is $1 million per mile.

REDRAGN53

I sure hope this project does not interfere with our event in March... I got a fever and the only cure is alot more Road Atlanta!

Red Tornado

I would imagine it would be close unless they already have started.

Sounds like they are doing major changes though.

Ed M.

If this, in fact, is true it makes me hopeful that the rumors floating around of the threatened existance of RA by residential/suburban growth is only that - a rumor. However, I have to admit, everytime I go there I notice more and more development.

Nevertheless, they wouldn't be investing all this money to make these changes if they weren't planning on being there for a long time. This makes me happy!

I just hope it's all true...

trackaddict

It is in progress now. They are supposed to be done in late Feb for some SCCA regional stuff so there should be no problem for our event there in March. I got this info from a friend who is good friends with one of the Panoz instructors.

I need more cowbell too!

Jim P.

Stopped by there today and I can unofficially verify: Yes, there was paving equipment there

Our March event will be one of the first on the new surface...

BTW: Our March event usually sells out early and as of today some of the groups are very close to being full - so if you want to test out the new pavement at RA I HIGHLY suggest you register ASAP

legokcen

How does the Friday session at RA look? Will there be a lot of folks there too?

Jim P.
How does the Friday session at RA look? Will there be a lot of folks there too?

It is filling... almost as fast as the weekend

trackaddict

I am not taking any chances. I am all signed up for the full meal deal.

Ed M.

Does anybody know for sure if they are planning to repave the whole track or just the area of the changes? Man, if it's going to be the whole track, how cool is that!!!!???

Ed

dmwhite
how cool is that!!!!???

VERY!

i hope repave the whole track...RA was starting to show a lot of signs of wear and tear...pretty bumpy in some areas...

after driving on roebling's new surface earlier this month, i'm pretty excited about the possibility of RA having a fresh surface!

Fred Crawford
how cool is that!!!!???

VERY!

i hope repave the whole track...RA was starting to show a lot of signs of wear and tear...pretty bumpy in some areas...

after driving on roebling's new surface earlier this month, i'm pretty excited about the possibility of RA having a fresh surface!

Are they working on the run off areas??

Fc

dmwhite
Are they working on the run off areas??

Fc

it still won't be enough for me...

AU N EGL

"ROAD ATLANTA WORK: An extensive resurfacing project at Road Atlanta is well on its way, the focal point of a series of renovations and capital improvements to the famed Atlanta-area road course.

In addition to repaving the entire 2.54-mile, 12-turn circuit, crews also will move back the walls on both sides of the lower part of the Esses to provide competitors additional runoff room. It also will increase the sight lines for fans on "Spectator Hill" from turns 4 to 5.

All of the concrete patches have been removed. Filling the patches with asphalt will provide better adhesion completely around the track.

Previously, the back half of the main paddock and the front entrance parking lot were paved earlier this year. Originally built in 1970, Road Atlanta was last repaved in 1992. Since purchasing the world-renowned facility in 1996, Dr. Don Panoz has spent millions of dollars in capital improvements including the redesign of turn 10 and elimination of the Dip. More than 300,000 tons of rock and dirt were moved to create the new Main Paddock on the infield side of the track."

Source: http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=2758

olddragger

careful nthe rx8 guys will be gangning up this event!

olddragger

kbrew8991

new pics:

122920061429590_Image2.JPG

Z06RACER

I went out there yesterday to see what's going on. I'm in the building business and I sure couldn't tell what they were doing. Looked to me like 4 monkeys f**king a football.

If they are going to "repave" this thing they better get going. The SCCA has an event there at the end of February.