ClemsonMotorWerks

RA Repaved??

Jim P.

Sounds about right - the schedule is all messed up - they cancelled our friday in March - the Pot'o'Gold Rush is back to a two day event - Saturday-Sunday.

Red Tornado

from the looks of it it sounds like March might be a real reach even.

FBI AGENT

we can only hope that it will be done and I mean done correctly and not in a hurry and mess it up.

trackaddict

The weird thing is Panoz is showing a track day event Mar 3/4. If anyone would know, you'd imagine it would be them. There is also an SCCA SARRC Regional Feb 24/25 listed on the Road Atlanta website. Could it be they will have the track done for these events then go back in to finish up some last minute things on our Friday?

DriverGT5

BMW also has an event in early March. I can't imagine they are still doing the main work durring that time. I'll bet they are doing work early in the week and letting the new stuff cure so they can race on weekends. Sounds like they're just playing catchup trying to not lose their planned customers.

RussTypeS

the SCCA race is canceled. I'm actually scheduled to instruct at that track day but I doubt it's gonna happen. All the Panoz organizations are separate, the school usually doesn't know shit about what's going on with the track.

ctbimmer

I visited the track today, and was driven on a recon around the new surface.

All of the concrete patches have been ground away, the foundation/rebuilding in the esses is done, and a little more than half of the top/finish layer is down.

They are waiting for a few more warmer-weather days to finish laying asphalt, then some time to cure before it can be run on.

DanElam

Well this weekend's weather isn't helping anything. Hmpf. Does anyone (Pantas) know who got the Friday date? Is that something people might be able to get a little track time with?

Jim P.

Last I heard the friday is held by a motorcycle school - hard to squeeze cars into it the repaving has all of us out of whack We'll be one of the first groups on the new asphalt

BMWCCA has the weekend before us

DanElam
Last I heard the friday is held by a motorcycle school - hard to squeeze cars into it

Oh, I assure you that I could make room.....

Red Tornado

Are they 100% going to be done by then?

I assume they got the weather we got today and that had to add a full week of no working time I would guess.

MM79SC

Yes - weather hear miserable so not a chance they worked on the track today.

Jim P.

(8-Feb-2007)

To all,

I just wanted to formally alert all of you that the resurfacing of the Circuit has been completed. I know that many of your members have been asking. Thank you for all the cooperation and sacrifices some of you and your organizations have made.

2007 will be an exciting year for the new topping, with this please pass on to all of your officials and members that we must look after a few things with more diligence. Fluids are Enemy #1 to new asphalt. Please inform your respective tech officials to keep a close eye on any leaking fluids or overfilled gas tanks that like to pour out at Turn 1. Also please let the drivers know that it is not good practice to blow your engine at turn 3 and drive back to the pits, in the line no less. I wish to thank you in advance for your cooperation on this matter and I look forward to seeing you all.

Best regards,

Joseph Greene

Vice President of Operations

Road Atlanta, LLC

5300 Winder Highway

Braselton, GA 30517

800.849.7223 x 214

770.967.2668 fax

VISIT http://www.roadatlanta.com

I also wanted to mention that many of the groups are almost full - so if you haven't registered yet you might want to do it today

kbrew8991

looks like its shaping up nicely

IMG_1471b.jpg

Jim P.

Sweeeeet!

My right foot is getting twitchy thinking about the new asphalt!

Dawg

what an awesome picture!

where are the white lines down the middle?

wonder how the lap times will change? ran a 138.7 last time.

Lucid Moments

Oooooooo Pretty

Man how much longer is it until we get there.

REDRAGN53

Kinda makes me feel like Jed Clampett..."Black Gold"

SilverEIGHT

Took pics of Road Atlanta's new asphalt. Thought everyone might like to see what's up. You can view all images here: Gallery of images

DSC_0065.sized.jpg

DSC_0074.sized.jpg

Gators in turn 10A.

DSC_0090.sized.jpg

DSC_0076.sized.jpg

Edited by Guest

SilverEIGHT

Speaking to a driver today at the PANOZ event I understand there are some slick spots, mainly turn 5. Also the new gators have abrupt drop offs if you go too far over. If you look at the images I posted, you will see that entering turn 10A could be a real problem if you get off track.

I will be going back next weekend for the BMWCCA event so if anyone has a request for a close up of any specific spots, let me know and I will try to get shots posted before we go for our event on March 17.

Red Tornado

Doesn't look any diffferent except the hard drop offs on the gators. Hopefully that wonderful dip coming in to the pits has been fixed. Wonder if new pavement will be quicker based on his comments??

Karl
I will be going back next weekend for the BMWCCA event so if anyone has a request for a close up of any specific spots, let me know and I will try to get shots posted before we go for our event on March 17.

Thanks for the pics, the tracksure does look nice. Could you get the track out of 5 and 7? I tend to use a little extra room on those turns sometimes and the jump of a curb at turn 3?

RussTypeS

I wouldn't say turn 5 is slick, It was pretty damn slick before. There is a pretty big bump just after the apex. If you have a stiff car it's definitely something to watch out for. Be careful there you first few laps!

On the flip side, turn 1 is awesome and turn 6 is amazing.

RussTypeS
Thanks for the pics, the tracksure does look nice. Could you get the track out of 5 and 7? I tend to use a little extra room on those turns sometimes and the jump of a curb at turn 3?

none of those have changed, although the transition back to asphalt on the exiting the turn 5 exit curb is a little rougher than before.