GPC and Performance Touring

TexaST-1

I wanted to give you an update on GPC.

The way it is going to work for 2007 is as Greg finishes and releases the PT/ ST1, ST2 and SU, I will take those rules and work out the details as to how they work with GPC.

NASA does not want an "Orphan" class. GPC will have to overlay a National Class as a Regional Class until we get enough of a following to be recognized nationally. Think CMC, AI and AIX.

The good news is that GPC will be recognized regionally in 2007.

The plan is to closely overlay GPC1 over ST1 and GPC2 over ST2 and GPCX over SU. We will still plan to recognize the GPC cars as they were listed.

I know in Texas we should have a regular attendance for GPC in 6-10 car field range at every event.

Kevin,

I am not sure how to interprete what you are saying (excuse my ignorance of NASA classes), but buy what you are stating is appears that VVC is still the class for cars like mine.

Am I correct?

Thanks.

Hello David,

It is my understanding that VVC is dead and no longer a class for 2007.

Greg can confirm or deny this statement.

You will want to run in PT- Super Touring 1 or 2 depending on car build up. My guess is 2, but since I have not seen the rules I would not be certain. I am also guessing my car is in ST2 also.

Kevin

• National Staff

I think that the rules for Super Touring (ST1 & ST2) will be approved and published today. VVC will be gone. What Kevin is saying is that the National classes for these cars (and a bunch of other cars) will be ST2, ST1, SU. If a region wants to try and develop a new class (like GPC), they can do it in their region, within a National Class. Using Texas and GPC as an example, all cars will be classed/listed/resulted under a National Class, which in this case will be ST2, ST1, or SU. The region can then "experiment" with the rules of their proposed new class by simultaneously classing those cars using their new rules. This will give them data they can later present to NASA that could either justify a new National class, or show NASA that it it's not necessary. NASA is trying to focus on getting bigger, more inclusive racing fields, while keeping our highly successful "spec" and other race classes.

Greg, thanks for the clarification. Well said. Please let me know when you get the rules out. I am anxiously waiting as is everyone else.

With what Greg said, GPC has been very successuful in TEXAS. We will need support from all of the regions to get GPC to break away as quickly as possible. I still like racing with Factory Built Super Cars. No LS1 Pintos!

It looks like to stay in ST-1 I would have to run DOT tires. I don't think I can add enough weight to run slicks...that's a bummer. Now I have to buy more tires, because I just barely fall into SU and would get smoked.

Kevin...

with this new class, why would you want to muddy up the waters with yet another class??? I think this ST-1 and 2 is what you were looking for isn't it???

Hello Bob, quit yer bitchin' and buy some DOT!

I am going to stay with DOTS because I plan to do an occasional B-Prepared race with the SCCA (WCGT-Club).

GPC has been strong in Texas. It has merit as a home for "Factory" super cars. Corvette vs Viper vs Porsche vs BMW M vs Ferrari vs Ford GT vs Lotus, you get the point.

Hello Ryan,

I am currently pondering that issue. GPC was more restrictive than ST1&2. It will be hard for me to reset the rules that make since. In a conference call with Jerry at the national office, I was told that there will not be classes accepted that do not have a national back bone. GPC is sort of an over lay of ST with a car specific theme.

I do have the go ahead to run GPC as a regional base class in all regions after I submit final rules and they addopted. I am just not sure of the point any longer.

We will have a better over all car count if I leave it alone.

Brady, my chief supporter for GPC, and I had a long dicussion about it. I know your postition.

I can't help but think my efforts would be better spent making ST more succesful here in TEXAS than trying to get another class off the ground.

GPC had these types of limits:

GPC-1 was limitied to T1 level performance and is fairly close to ST-2.

GPC-2 was limited to 7.0 to 8.0 RWHP to weight and was some what open for brakes aero and limited to DOTs. ST-1

GPC-X was open, with the limitation to no tube frame cars. SU

GPC was based on specific manuafacturers and vehicles.