Need help with enclosed trailer info?

kgibson79

I am trying to decide on wether to buy an enclosed trailer or open. My 2 biggest problems with this decision are money and weight. My max cost will be around $3500 which I know does not get me very far on an enclosed trailer, but they are out there. The 2nd problem is that I am towing with a Land Rover Discovery, max tow weight is 5500lbs with trailer brakes.

I can never find the empty weight on any enclosed trailers. My car weighs 2500lbs and about 500lbs of gear. So max enclosed trailer weight can be about 2000lbs. Is this possible for a 18' enclosed trailer for about $3500?

If so, does anyone have one for sale in or near columbus, OH

With your current tow vehicle, going with an open trailer is good advice. I attempted to pull a 7000 pound enclosed trailer with a Ford Expedition that was rated for 8400 pounds. The enclosed trailer nearly killed the Expedition at interstate speeds. I had to trade up to a Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel to pull my enclosed trailer!

Kevin, you should get a 44" stacker. Your Landy will be just fine

Seriously though, open trailers have many advantages and disadvantages. Unless you want to buy a new truck, just stick with the open trailers.

Testing went well, except the 48 car hitting the guardrail after the Kink!! Mostly mechanical damage, very little body damage. We'll be going back (possibly next Thursday), let me know if you would like some track time.

Oh, there is a nice open trailer on craigslist right now for $1600 with a tire rack on it!

OH how I wish I could. If I want to stay married, I am limited to my racing in the summer months. Thanks for the thought. I can't find trailer on craigs list, what do I look under?