NEW Super Touring Classes/Rules for '07!!!!! ST1 and ST2

Greg G.

• National Staff

I am very pleased to announce that NASA has just released the 2007 NASA Super Touring and Super Unlimited Rules! The rules can be downloaded here http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Super-Touring.pdf

As you can see, the old Vette-Viper Challenge forum threads have been merged into this forum, as there will no longer be a Vette-Viper Challenge class in NASA. Super Touring 1, Super Touring 2, and Super Unlimited will host all of the amazing American Supercars, as well as the Supercars from around the globe, and a wide variety of other high performance racecars and Touring cars. These new classes should help to significantly increase the racing fields for the Vettes and Vipers, as we are now giving a home to hundreds of car types and models that formerly had nowhere to race competitively. These include cars in the former GTSU (German Touring Sportscar Unlimited) and HU (Honda Unlimited) classes that will no longer be recognized in 2007. These classes should make excellent crossover classes for those that like to race in more than one class. While there are few restrictions placed on these high performance cars, which will allow for easy crossover, there are limits and factors taken into account beside straight wt/hp ratios that will help to even the fields and increase the level of competition. As well, since the NASA Time Trial TTS, TTU, and TTR classes will directly follow the classing structure of ST and SU, we will be able to groom our TT drivers with similar high performance vehicles to join ST and SU once they are ready. In fact, I'm sure that we will be seeing some of our 2006 TT drivers from the Championships at Mid-Ohio competing in ST this season.

These are the classes that will be available at the 2007 NASA Championships for virtually all high performance cars. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of our drivers in TT, GTS 4 & 5, American Iron, and American Iron Extreme, doubling their race time by also competing in Super Touring. NASA is very excited about this series, and we hope you come out and join in the fun. If you have any questions about Super Touring, or if you have a car that you wish to get homologated into the Series, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Edited by Guest

Geez Greg,

By reading over the rules and your calculation examples it almost looks as though you are saying, "Hey David! C'mon and race that red Viper in ST2!!!"

Question: I have access to a Mustang 2wd dyno and multiple Dynapack AWD dynos (can be used for 2wd as well). Is there any particular reason why these two dynos are not approved for 2wd cars? Haven't found any of the 'approved' 2wd dynos in my area otherwise.

I ask this because I hope to eventually add a turbo to my car I'm preparing for PT (A) next year, so at some point it will become an ST car.

Bob

• National Staff
Question: I have access to a Mustang 2wd dyno and multiple Dynapack AWD dynos (can be used for 2wd as well). Is there any particular reason why these two dynos are not approved for 2wd cars? Haven't found any of the 'approved' 2wd dynos in my area otherwise.

I ask this because I hope to eventually add a turbo to my car I'm preparing for PT (A) next year, so at some point it will become an ST car.

Bob

Bob,

It's because there are enough Dynojet 2wd dynos out there to get better consistency by only allowing the single type. We have done this with our American Iron series for years with good results. The AWD dyno issue is not optimal, but there aren't enough of any one type across the country to mandate a single brand/model. There may be in a few years, though. Many of our regions have access to Dynojet 2wd dynos. And, we will always have one available at the NASA Championships. There is a Mustang AWD dyno about an hour away from Mid-Ohio, and a Dynapack about 90 minutes away.

Since we will almost exclusively be testing RWD and FWD cars on the Dynojet, drivers better know what kind of numbers they are making on those. From what I've seen, Mustang dynos can read much lower than Dynojets, which would be a big problem for a driver that tried to max the car out by tuning on a Mustang dyno.

Edited by Guest

• National Staff
with a ST1 or ST2 car, will they compete head-to-head in TTS or will there be TTS1, TTS2, etc.

(probably the wrong area to ask, ah well)

TTS = ST2

TTU = ST1

TTR = SU

They use identical classing rules. TTS, TTU, and TTR cars just need to have the proper racing safety equipment, cage, etc. to cross over to ST/SU.

• National Staff
This is excellent news!!! Now I have a place for my EP car to play....

Yes!!!

Yep, you got it. Bring your buddies with you.

• 1 month later...
  • National Staff
I didn't check it, but we will have an on-line Classer up and running within a few days probably, also. Our webmaster is working on it today.

I've been told that on-line Classer aides for ST, PT, and TT are not going to be ready until February (? late). Sorry.

• 1 month later...

I sent a note to National, but I think convertibles should be given an "adjustment", similar to the adjustment given to 4-doors. I'm running my car topless for now, and it certainly will have an aerodynamic deficit compared to similar Vettes with tops. I think a +.3-.4 should be considered in the future.

Thanks

• 8 months later...

I've heard the siren song of ST-2 and am building an old Baby Grand into a Hayabusa power rollerskate. At 1700 pounds with driver and dialed hp to 185 we will be right on top of the class. Just like everyone else. The advantage? ... stelth... the car is so small my competitors will see me just after they punt me into the wall!

Can't wait! Steve W.

baby grand? im assuming thats a tube frame car? correct?

without appeal, thats not allowed in ST2 as per the rules. Thatd throw you right into SU.

• National Staff

I've already approved it for '08--just isn't published yet. It should be interesting. They will take a big hit because of the light weight (from the weight modification factor chart). The chassis and body will be run as they currently do.

I've already approved it for '08--just isn't published yet. It should be interesting. They will take a big hit because of the light weight (from the weight modification factor chart). The chassis and body will be run as they currently do.

sweeeeeeeeet. I'm crossing my fingers for bigger fields out in the MidA.

Scared Me there for a moment... But driving a little-bitty car really fast ,being scared is the norm. I saw a video posted from Mid America NASA ST-2 and saw Radicals, Thunder Roasters and Factory 5s mixing it up. I'm sure race group "D" had cars other than ST-2 but it must be fun taking on a Radical. We'll have 10-12 K$ in our car and a Radical is what 50-60-K$ Is there a hp/$ Factor inST-2???

Just Think'n, SteV8