ST "weight" adjustment question

davidfarmer

I may be reading this wrong, but it looks like Heavy cars get penalized (weight to power increased) while Lighter cars get help (weight to power decreased).

If this is correct, then I think it is backward in my experience. Heavier cars suffer from excessing tire wear, brake heat, drivetrain failures, etc, while lighter cars seem to run forever, and never wear out tires or brakes. PLUS, they use less fuel, allowing them to start the races lighter relatively speaking.

Seems like a 2500lb car (like a Porsche/BMW) would have a pretty big advantage over a restricted Corvette or Viper.

Just my opinion. Would love to hear the history of why this is the way it is.

You are reading it wrong. It was confusing to me too because the classification is based on weight/power instead of power/weight. So based on a weight/power ratio, a higher weight/power ratio car will be slower; more weight for each horse to carry. The system levels the playing field between different vehicles by limiting the weight/power ratio. So a lightweight Miata might be allowed 300 hp, while a comparatively heavy Corvette might get 450 hp.

Reference this thread

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=12347

As posted by Joe Paluch...

"Any "Plus" factors are designed to make you faster.

Any "minus" factor is designed to slow you down. "

A 440HP Porsche Cup car is a viscious animal. An SU car regardless in my opinion.

The heavier cars actually get a ratio deduction. Plus mean add and minus means take away.

7.0 power to weight less .75 for slicks is 6.25. Add .35 for a 3550lb car is 6.6 Power to weight.

no, I still don't get it. Not the way it is written anyway.

a 4000lb car in ST2 would normally be allowed 459.7hp. With the weight addition of (+.85), his weight-to-power is changed to 9.55, so is power would have to be reduced to 418. Basically, he's hauling around a ton of weight, and to make matters worse, is penalized 40hp!

In the oposite end, and Porsch Cup car weighing 2500lb would originally be allowed 287hp. With the (-.75) reduction, his weight-to-power becomes 7.95, giving him up to 314HP.

So you have the lightweight car having a 20% power advantage, PLUS his gear will last longer.

It sounds like they simply reversed the + and - signs, but as it is written, + will slow you down, and - will make you faster. If that is it, just tell me and I'll shut up.

I've been screwed for 20 years racing due to people reading between the lines (the Pros are great at it), and I'm helping a couple folks get ready for this series, and wan't to give them every advantage I can.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Farmer, I think you had reward weight (WCGT) being added to slow the car down and existing weight having to add to the HP to WT.

But you get it. So what you gonna run?

Greg,

Does the competition wieght in TT U,S,R and ST1, ST2 include the driver??? In the grid box for the +/- adjustments it doesn't stipulate.....Later in some description it says including drivers wieght......Clarification please, I know you probably wont answer since you are racing (lucky dog)

• National Staff
Greg,

Does the competition wieght in TT U,S,R and ST1, ST2 include the driver??? In the grid box for the +/- adjustments it doesn't stipulate.....Later in some description it says including drivers wieght......Clarification please, I know you probably wont answer since you are racing (lucky dog)

I answered this in the TT Forum, but in case anybody else was wondering, the answer is that all competition weights (ST, PT, TT) are with the driver and his/her gear in the car. (No more Danica advantages in the NASA Touring classes )