Toyo pressures

nkwright

Going to WSIR to shakedown the #69 car and need some advice on tire pressures. What has been your experience on these tires? We did not shave this set, does it matter? Where do you start cold and what is a good hot pressure?

Car should be around 2650 with driver and fluids.

Any advice for the newbies is appreciated.

I think the shaved tires are faster straight up, so that may effect your grip and thus the following advice?

My drive around Willow, no brakes for 8 into 9, just down shift, go to about half throttle until turn in and then mash it back on to the floor.

Turn 1, I was flirting with no brakes, or just a slight touch to settle, I think next time I'm going to toy with no brakes and leaving it in 5th. Turn 2, I going to try skip the short breather on entry and just go in flat, keeping a low line.

1:37's babay, here I come! OK, maybe I'll start with 38's?

As for pressures, I never remember the numbers?

Dylan.

Neal, I'm starting at 34 to 36 lbs. Go to the TOYO TIRES website, too. They want to see high 30's to low 40's when hot. I've heard of drivers starting around 32 also. Pyrometer?

New tires are going to be slower than well worn in tires due to the treadblocks squirming. That's from TOYO, also. I've done back-to-back swaps with older and new tires. The brand new tires were about 3 seconds slower around AMP. I'm keeping track of the heat cycles on my latest set.

Tim is right on with tire experince.

At PIR I turned a 1:13.3 in qualfying on worn toyo's.

I thought it was going to rain so I bolted on fresh and I mean fresh unheat cycle, un scrubbed, unshaved toyo's. I also lower pressure to 29 psi cold (typically run 32-33 cold). Could only turn a 1:15.9 in the race. . They were not bad or uncontrolable, just slow.

Don't worry when this happens. As the tire get multiple heat cycles and wears some rubber down they get fastest. My experiece on 3 sets of tires says they get good about 5 heat cycles into their life. Then stay good for the next 20 to 30. The last few heat cycles get tricky. They are nice and fast, but also tough to drive as they become very twitchy. They are good for a few heat cycle like this then they are gone. Probably still with rubber, but all the grip is gone and they feel really nasty. You tend to understeer/oversteer everywhere. Great thing about them is that this is after 40-50 heat cycles.

Best plan is to have 2 sets. 1 being worn in and a second in their prime.

Thanks for the input. The info you guys provided will be very helpful this weekend.

Another questiuon. Do these tires like a lot of camber 2.5-3.0 neg camber in the front? We will be running 375lb springs.

Thanks again.

Yes, shaved, if you're immediately going to race them. I usually practice on my new set, and keep track of the heat cycles. Then switch to the short tread set to race. I used to think that tire life out weighed the importance of performance, but the performance factor, being a few seconds, was too high a price to pay. Everyone should have at least 2 sets of wheels. Call AUTOBAHNPARTS.COM 619.444.2290. Ask for Sean. 50% off used parts, Baby! (only for us 944-spec racers).

Neal, check out the TOYO TIRES website. I believe they say camber can be from 2 or 3 to 5(!) deg. neg. At Willow, you may want to stand the right side tire up more or you'll just grind off the inside edge. Which day are you going to Willow?

TC

Ran a set shaved. They still sucked in the first 5 or so heat cycles.

I am not certain on shaving yet. I also don't know the impact on tire life.

Of course that is why I am recording heat cycles.