1986 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3 16v, Former One Lap competitior

Driver

First what is a 1986 Mercedes Benz 2.3 16v Cosworth?

Google results:

History

1,179,000,000 spent developing the chassis, in 1983!

Breaks 3 world records and 9 International records

So, now that you guys all know what a 16v is...

I've put 9000 miles on this car in the year and a half that I've owned it, and every one has been a joy. It's just too small for family living, and gives me too much driving confidence to haul my child around in it it. Being a former One Lap of America racer (2005, #77), it's a blast to drive, but not to put the kids in.

1986 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3 16v 5spd; $6,000

Now, for this specific car:

Miles: 240k (Engine rebuilt 89K ago)

Recent maintenance: PRior to the One Lap, MB Classic of Cincinatti (sponsor) went through the car replacing anything that gave the slightest inclination of being a possible problem. They spent far more on reliability then anything else. In the time I've owned it, all it has needed was an alternator and a charcoal cannister. Here's the parts tally:

*Bosch Alternator

*New Behr Radiator

*Front calipers

*rear caliper rebuild

*All metal brake lines replaced

*All brake flex hoses replaced

*New O2 sensor

*New spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and wires

*New water pump and thermostat

*new water hoses

*Valve adjustment and new valve cover gasket

*New serpentine belt

*New belt tensioner

*New K&N Air filter

*Coolant temp sensors replaced

*New Shift knob and boot

*New shift tower bushings

*New battery and tray

*New hood, hood pad, and left-front quarter panel

*New paint over 40% of the car

Modifications:

*17â€

Edited by Guest

I'll second such a neat car with a well known racing history - the 190e with the Cosworth engine was a great sports sedan/race car. Dominated the Touring car series in Europe for many years.

Good luck selling it as that is a great car for a good price. I'm unfortunately in the middle of restoring an 84 Porsche 944 into a daily driver.

You live in NE ohio, so I'd first like to express my sympathies. Where abouts? I live on the north side of Columbus, near 23. I grew up in the bustling metropolis of Elida.

You live in NE ohio, so I'd first like to express my sympathies. Where abouts? I live on the north side of Columbus, near 23. I grew up in the bustling metropolis of Elida.

Akron, Cleveland Area... Not that bad Columbus, nice city, lived there for a few years and had a blast when I was there... Anyway, very nice 190, always wanted one, but do not when I would have the chance to come down, but, you should not have a problem getting rid of it, great history.

• 2 weeks later...

Just washed it. While doing a "blow dry" run on the highway, it occurred to me that the car would still do 150mph. Not that I would ever drive it that fast, confirming it with mile markers and the factory installed lap timer. It just "occurred" to me.

I have a local stealership wanting it, but haggling needs done. It may end up traded for an XJR.

If you want this car, make me an offer!

If you were closer, I'd offer up my S70 AWD. This sounds like a great car - I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet.
I love colorado and S70's. My affinity for the pair are actually intertwined; I'm a mountaineer when I'm not a spirited driver, so I was hunting cars to haul all my crap with confidence across the country, whilst being able to handle rocky mountaina nd Pac'Nor'West winters. Unfortunately, I have no plans for a climb in the west 'till summer, and I can't stand driving across Kansas

If you'd want to meet in St. Lou' or some where 'round there, we might could deal. the catch would be us considering buying each others cars without driving them, or investing 2 days and a bunch of gas into a test drive. Got pictures?

It hasn't sold because I'm not advertising it all that enthusiastically. Just web forums that I belong to, no ebay or autotrader yet. I'd prefer to keep it "in the family", I love this car.

Bad news: a bit of noise makes me fear the Diff is lost.

Good News: I just bought another one! Comes with car.

Good news: With the current diff, it still does 150...on a closed course, of course. At that speed though, it sounds like I'm being chased by an ME109. If I find the time, I ay put the new diff in. But as it is, it just comes with the car.

I'll take some pics in the next couple of days. It's a '99 with ~127K miles on it. It still runs like a champ - just doesn't evoke any passion in me, unlike German cars It averages ~20MPG as a daily commuter.

How does the Benz do as a daily driver? How about in the snow? Perhaps we can work somethin out in meeting half way (I'm always looking for an excuse to get out in the motorhome).

How does the Benz do as a daily driver?

Once you get used to the clutch, the cams, and the 80'd finest mechanical fuel injection, it does alright. It's an engine that likes to rev, and therefore idling suffers. It manages to get decent mileage, despite running rich.

How about in the snow?
Good news: LSD and RWD, and not much torque. Bad news, 2700lb and low to the ground. To be honnest I haven't driven it much in the snow, I live within walking distance of anywhere I need to be, no sence in subjectiong it to Ohio salt. In the end, it would come down to what tire you chose, the ABS works great. Put some 195 wide Blizaks on it and you won't have any trouble. My first Rocky Mountain winter drive was in a 96 V8 Thunderbird with 245 wide sumer tire. RMNP rangers told me I was the only car they'd seen all week, it was fun. The Benz would fare much better.

As far as trades go, it's your Volvo vs a '96 Jag XJR (did you ever think your V70 would be pitted against such a beast?) The Volvo would be the smartest choice for me, can't wait to see it. Do you have the service history? I've got mine, all 20 years of it.

Ja-turbo, and auto. Leather interior (black), power driver's seat, heated seats and mirrors, sunroof.

My wife has given the "okay." I'll get some pics taken in the next couple of days and email them to you.

I've got the pics for you. Please excuse the dirt, as you can see we've had a "little" snow.

4c14xew.jpg

2q2etg7.jpg

30wy3bt.jpg

2vae7eu.jpg

This one shows a small crack in the front valance. The only issue with the car:

46zwlxx.jpg

Let me know what you think.

-Ian

I've got the pics for you. Please excuse the dirt, as you can see we've had a "little" snow.
Yeah, I'm jealous. My kid can't sled on rain.

Looks good, and I'm interested. We've pretty much got an ebay-level of shopping ability, so feel free to ask any questions you might have, and ask for any pictures you might want. We'll learn as much as we can before we commit to such a long drive.

My questions:

1:Smoker?

2:Kids / pets?

3:Options/gadgets (and do they all work)?

4:What service can you account for?

5:City or highway driver (mpg?)?

6:any noises?

7: picture requests:

-Interior, all 4 seats, dash/console, trunk, floors witout mats. And if possible, some shots of a clean car. Any other blemishes you can think of?

To answer my own questions for the Benz:

1:Non smoker

2: 1 y.o. kid, rarely rides. (harness mounts work perfect for child seat)

3:7 way power seats w/driver side memory, Alpine detachable face CD, power sunroof, first aid kit, climat control (in C), Full VDO gauging (cooland-oil temp, tach, speedo, volts, oil pres, mechanical clock), power windows (LR relay doesn't work), Simposon 5pt cam-lock harness, power mirror.

4:I have 20 years of service records

5:Mostly driven to work and back, 1.5 mile city trip. Made a few long trips, and one autocross. Highway mpg is in the low 20s, never calculated city

6: When going over bumps, the first aid kit rattles a bit in its compartment in the back dash. Slight exhaust leak tick from header meeting down pipe.

7: Any pics ya want?

1:Smoker? Nope - going on 10 years now!

2:Kids / pets? 2 boys, 6-8. Have been in the car less than 5 times in the year and a half that I've owned it.

3:Options/gadgets (and do they all work)? Everything works well. Quick list off the top of my head: Driver's seat electric adjustable (6-way, I think) with 3 memory settings, Passenger's seat manually adjustable (6-way also), both seats are heated, electric windows and locks (driver's side is the only "auto-down" window - just the way it was designed), independent climate control, sport shift mode, full leather, electric sunroof, stock stereo with cd player, trip computer (with avg MPG, avg MPH, MPG MPH, and outside temp), headlight washers, driver's side trunk and gas tank release. When I bought the car it didn't have the remote key fob. We purchased one and had it coded to the car by the local dealer. Along with the lock/unlock, it includes a trunk release button.

4:What service can you account for? When we bought the car at 107K miles it had a check engine light (which after pulling the codes I determined was a MAF). We took it to the local dealer and had ~$1200 worth of maintenance performed. This included the replacement of the MAF, replacement of the differential seal (which resulted in the replacement of the passenger's side half case (bevel gear) as they damaged it putting it back together), recall on the headlight switch, serpentine belt replaced, ECM updated, and programming of the key fob (I can show you the service report). We also had the ESD (?) recall performed by the dealer. We had the windshield replaced (which included the parking slip holder), and 4 new all-weather tires put on about 3 months ago. We are the second owners, as the orignal owner left his registration and insurance card (verified with carfax). We may be able to pull the full history from Volvo with the VIN (I'll call today and check). They're faxing over all the recall work history and warranty work history that they have - there are no open recalls on it currently.

5:City or highway driver (mpg?)? A little of both - I've put about 7K on it since purchasing it. I get 20.2 MPG with my current drive which includes a lot of stop and go. Last year when I was working at a different location I was getting 23.1MPG.

6:any noises? A little bit of a rattle at start when it's cold - goes away in about 2 seconds. A little bit of a clunk through potholes - the Tie Rod end links were identified as needing replacement by the dealer; I have replacements waiting to go on (I'll do this before I bring it out). The parking brake is a little "soft" - I've just never gotten around to tightening it up, and the light for the shifter (illuminates the shift position) is not working. Cheap bulb, pain to get to, so I haven't done it.

7: picture requests: Engine, interior, trunk underneath the carpet and side joints.

The only other blemish is that the clear bra is both 1) starting to yellow (very lightly, and 2) not over the entire front. It is missing from the passenger's side quarter panel. I'm not sure why. I looked for signs of a quarterpanel replacement or an accident and I couldn't find anything.

I will go today to the car wash with the camera and gets some clean pictures. You can also see my feedback on ebay under user ianacole (not very orginal, eh? LOL). You can give me a call at 303.914.9696 if you want to talk with me directly. Finally, all the pictures that I've taken are reduced to about 20% their original size. I can email you the full size pictures (~2.5MB each) or if you have an FTP server I can put them out there for you.

7: picture requests: side joints.

Side joints? You mean where the 1/4 panels meet the chassis?

I'm not much a fan of clear bra's, though admitttedly I'm pretty ignorant of them. Can they be removed?

Side joints? You mean where the 1/4 panels meet the chassis?

Where the sides meet the trunk pan - the joints along there.

I'm not much a fan of clear bra's, though admitttedly I'm pretty ignorant of them. Can they be removed?

It can be. I think a shop will either use heat or chemical to remove it (I've never had it done so I'm not sure).