A weighty proposal

ooldguy

As we have a positive points assesment for being under the NASA approved minimum weight how about , using the same schedule in reverse, a negative assesment for being over weight. This would

enable a street driven vehicle to compete more evenly with more fully prepared race cars.

Using me as an example there isn't 2-300# to remove compared to

full race vehicles that are stripped to begin with.

My race day weight ( '96 C4 with a NASA weight of 3350 ) is actually 3488# plus a 180# driver which is an actual race day weight of 3668#.

Thought's ?

Robert Dudek

NASA Midwest Instructor

• National Staff

Why is the car so heavy compared to the curb weight?

Curb weight should include gas, jack, spare, etc. All of that stuff is worth about 100 lbs (of free weight loss) for a big car like a Corvette.

Edited by Guest

Not sure which class you're referring to, but in TTS/TTU, there _IS_ a bonus for being above weight that allows you to have a higher effective weight/hp ratio. My race weight in the Evo is around 3350 on a low tank of gas, which gives me back +.1 to help make up for my AWD (-.5). Your 3668 gets +.45.

• National Staff

Sounds like it might be one of those "rare" cases where the Regional TT Director could waive some points. You should probably e-mail him and cc me.

The curb weights can hurt different cars. Take my Evo for example..if I want to run in TTA I'm going to be penalized for 200lbs of weight reduction eventhough I have done nothing besides remove the spare tire and trunk carpet. I have full interior, a/c, etc. and I only weighed 3079lbs when I got corner balanced. Even if I put the spare and trunk carpet back in it'd still be 150lbs under the curb weight.

IMO, the listed/published base curb weight for the Evo is on the high side.

Holy cow, 3079??? My MR is 3175 without me in it with only 1/8th tank of gas, and that's with everything loose removed (jack/spare/floor mats/glove box/tools) and a lot of mods that weigh less than the stock parts. Even an RS only weighs 60 less lbs in stock form than an MR - you being 3079 in a GSR is pretty amazing.

use the alternate weight reduction method and start buying carbonfiber/fiberglass/etc panels, strip stuff, etc

there is NO reason to not use the alt method

sheesh, with a big car like the 'vette you can probably find 50-75lbs in just the wheel and tire combo

I agree. I can't figure out why mine is sooo light. I do have other parts that will reduce weight but not 150lbs worth! I have coilovers (-20lbs), open air intake(-3lbs), Hotchkis rear swaybar(-5lbs), and aftermarket exhaust(-25) that took some weight off..about 50lbs. But then I added parts that increased weight..bigger fmic, cams (aftermarket ones are heavier since stock cams are hollow, RMR a-arm brace (heavier than the stock bars)..that's pretty much it for mods that would decrease and add weight.

BTW, the 3079lbs was with 1/2 a tank of gas. My stock curb weight HAD to be more in the range of 3180.

I agree. I can't figure out why mine is sooo light. I do have other parts that will reduce weight but not 150lbs worth! I have coilovers (-20lbs), open air intake(-3lbs), Hotchkis rear swaybar(-5lbs), and aftermarket exhaust(-25) that took some weight off..about 50lbs. But then I added parts that increased weight..bigger fmic, cams (aftermarket ones are heavier since stock cams are hollow, RMR a-arm brace (heavier than the stock bars)..that's pretty much it for mods that would decrease and add weight.

BTW, the 3079lbs was with 1/2 a tank of gas. My stock curb weight HAD to be more in the range of 3180.

Don't forget to add your weight to the car. It is competition weight, AKA with driver.