passenger side impact beam

sstecker

just bought a prepped race car - the roll cage on the passenger side has 2 cross beams across door, the oem door has been gutted along with impact beam removed. is that ok for hpde or will i need a door with an impact beam?

I believe there was a discussion on this recently, but only for competition. I dont think the same rules apply for HPDE. But normally as long as there are two bars on the passanger side than its okay, because no one sits on the passanger side. But with HPDE is a little different. Im also interested in this topic.

Your biggest concern is whether the passenger (instructor) can safely sit in the passenger seat. If this is a racer only (driver seat only) any car that meets CCR race guidelines should be OK for HPDE3/4.

If you mean 2 Nascar-type bars, that is much preferable to the puny martentistic steel intrusion beam on OEM doors. As an HPDE3 group leader, I look at whether I feel safe in the passenger seat. Some HPDE instructors won't get into certain cars because they just don't think that the setup (seat/belts/cage/available hand holding) is gonna protect them in a severe impact or rollover. Remember, you can't hold onto a bar with your hand wrapped around an internal bar inside the door.

If you're HPDE 3/4 or TT running solo, any approved race mod should be OK IMHO.

Your biggest concern is whether the passenger (instructor) can safely sit in the passenger seat. If this is a racer only (driver seat only) any car that meets CCR race guidelines should be OK for HPDE3/4.

If you mean 2 Nascar-type bars, that is much preferable to the puny martentistic steel intrusion beam on OEM doors. As an HPDE3 group leader, I look at whether I feel safe in the passenger seat. Some HPDE instructors won't get into certain cars because they just don't think that the setup (seat/belts/cage/available hand holding) is gonna protect them in a severe impact or rollover. Remember, you can't hold onto a bar with your hand wrapped around an internal bar inside the door.

If you're HPDE 3/4 or TT running solo, any approved race mod should be OK IMHO.

ill be running in hpde 2. the cars cage is scca stickered and has a nasa log book. the passenger side has 2 bars in an X. other than the door lock, its gutted. ill be moving the fire suppression, cleaning up the wiring and installing another seat,padding and harness. i didnt want to get that far and the instructor doesnt like the door.

2536429_6_full.jpg

Well the cage is certainly stout! I would move the ECM so there's no interference with the instructors' legs and provide some sort of inside handhold on the bar. What I mean by that is like one of the Honda or mini truck inside plastic coated dealies or even a small single handhold so the passenger has something to brace themselves against to augment the belts and their feet in the well.

Again, very smart posting your concerns before going to the track and having some tech guy keep you from having a good instructor get in your car. I don't know exactly how you guys run in SE, but get as many experienced HPDE instructors and preferable race-licensed guys/gals to get in that seat and give you the benefit of their experience, The learning certainly doesn't stop 'cause you move up to 2, and it's one of the hardest things to get our HPDE3 drivers to keep benefitng from the depth of feedback you can get from our terrific NASA instructor pool.

Go fast, have fun!