More on the battery question?

uberklasse

Just coming off some electrical issues with my car has me a little leary of putting a smaller battery in the car. I now have both fans able to run at the same time and was wondering if batteries only impact them running when the car is shut off.

What sort of starting life can be expected from a garden or motorcycle battery?

I am at one year!! No problems Yet.. but $19 who cares.. - I have had sit of a month and it cranked right over.. I also have a by pass switch on my 2nd fan.. and it works fine!!.. you just have to know to turn it off when the car is not running.. = but it does have plenty of cranking amps to turn the engine over

Jason

I think I am going to work out a deal with a parts distributor for motorcycle batteries. I deal in mostly European Cars and Motorcycles with my dealership (Uberklasse) and actually have 3 bikes that need new batteries. Yuasa makes a good product and I am waiting on pricing.

If anyone in the group is interested, please e-mail me and I will give them to you at my cost. I know the one that fits my ducati is a lot more than $19.

I am sure I could find the cheapest 12v that has applications for ATV's and small displacement bikes and we could fit into our cars!!

I used to have the 680MJ in my RX-7. They will discharge more quickly than a regular battery if they are used when the engine is off. A few times I didn't close a door all the way and the interior light was left on overnight. I had to bump start it in the morning, which hasn't been the case since I went back to a standard battery.

They do give you a good bit of warning if they are going to die. A fairly gradual decline in starting power.

Guys

Autozone has a lawnmower battery that has 450 cold crank amps (they also have a 350 or 375 cca one. It costs about $29 and weighs about 1/5 the standard battery. My first lasted about 12 months (until a shop left the ignition on for several weeks and it would not recharge). The current one is over a year old and doing fine (even in AZ heat). The battery is only necessary for starting as the alternator provides sufficient power when running.